Chrom

Super Mario Odyssey

Just now, EH_STEVE said:

:(

My joy in your pending pain is only outmatched by my sarcasm with the smiley face I am using to offset my own pain from doing volleyball for 100.

Oh well, I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. Easily my favourite of the "open world" Mario games and up there for overall Mario platformers.

I made the jumprope part easier for myself by grabbing that vehicle scooter or whatever and getting it into position under the rope before starting and hopping with it. It was kinda cheating in a way but eh, was in the game...

24 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I made the jumprope part easier for myself by grabbing that vehicle scooter or whatever and getting it into position under the rope before starting and hopping with it. It was kinda cheating in a way but eh, was in the game...

SO gonna try that LOL.

Getting the timing and position (with the scooter under the rope) down right as you start is the tricky part, but once you get a start, it's simple af all the way to 100.

I kinda wish Metro City was bigger and more significant... Maybe it will be? I don't know. Anyways, I left there after about 60~ power moons collected and did the Snow world.

Jump Up, Super Star is such a good song 

I still think calling it "New Donk City" is the stupidest thing ever...

Edited by EH_STEVE

@purple_beard Fuck. Volley. Ball.

I got to like 40~. The controls (too slippy for precise quick-dashes and Joy-Con lag) and camera just don't work for this minigame. And at least with the jump rope it was 30 for 1st, 100 for 2nd. They're asking you to go from 15 to 100 isn't the fairest of scaling...

ANYWAYS

Done with that kingdom, for now, the bird tells me I just need volleyball and secret art. so onto to the next!

54 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

@purple_beard Fuck. Volley. Ball.

I got to like 40~. The controls (too slippy for precise quick-dashes and Joy-Con lag) and camera just don't work for this minigame. And at least with the jump rope it was 30 for 1st, 100 for 2nd. They're asking you to go from 15 to 100 isn't the fairest of scaling...

ANYWAYS

Done with that kingdom, for now, the bird tells me I just need volleyball and secret art. so onto to the next!

:D

Unlike other 3D platformers like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, I have a somewhat complex relationship with this game.  Of course, let me get out of the way that SMO is phenomenal with pristine graphics, vast open worlds, catchy music, and addictive, liberating gameplay.  What I'm not so fond of is the whole hat-possess function thing.  You know, "capture."  I feel like it undermines all of Mario's past powerups.  Like, I want to have Mario dress up as a tanooki, I don't want him to BECOME one.  That's just weird.  I play Mario games to play Mario, not as other creatures, and I hope this trend of playing as Mario less and less in his own games abruptly stops.  I just wish that SMO didn't have such a capture emphasis, as I love Cappy for everything else, I just think the game over-relies on the capture function.  It also made the game's Bowser ending rather anti-climactic for me.  Moons are a bit too common than I'm used to with Stars, but I don't mind as I LOVE collectathons.   I kind of think of Moons as collecting quarters rather than dollars--not as valuable, but there's a lot more out there and a lot more to do.

SMO will likely be the best game on the system for the duration of its life, but I think it could have done without the capture function (the game really pushes it).  I love everything else about it though.

Finished the "main story" last night and have gone back to cleaning things up and getting the new moons.

Okay, they really need to do a proper HD remake of Super Mario 64

On 1/20/2018 at 1:57 AM, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Unlike other 3D platformers like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, I have a somewhat complex relationship with this game.  Of course, let me get out of the way that SMO is phenomenal with pristine graphics, vast open worlds, catchy music, and addictive, liberating gameplay.  What I'm not so fond of is the whole hat-possess function thing.  You know, "capture."  I feel like it undermines all of Mario's past powerups.  Like, I want to have Mario dress up as a tanooki, I don't want him to BECOME one.  That's just weird.  I play Mario games to play Mario, not as other creatures, and I hope this trend of playing as Mario less and less in his own games abruptly stops.  I just wish that SMO didn't have such a capture emphasis, as I love Cappy for everything else, I just think the game over-relies on the capture function.  It also made the game's Bowser ending rather anti-climactic for me.  Moons are a bit too common than I'm used to with Stars, but I don't mind as I LOVE collectathons.   I kind of think of Moons as collecting quarters rather than dollars--not as valuable, but there's a lot more out there and a lot more to do.

SMO will likely be the best game on the system for the duration of its life, but I think it could have done without the capture function (the game really pushes it).  I love everything else about it though.

...how did you NOT like the Capture feature? I hope they use it in more titles