Super Mario Odyssey

Chrom

I kinda wish Metro City was bigger and more significant... Maybe it will be? I don't know. Anyways, I left there after about 60~ power moons collected and did the Snow world.

Jump Up, Super Star is such a good song 

I still think calling it "New Donk City" is the stupidest thing ever...

Edited by EH_STEVE

@purple_beard Fuck. Volley. Ball.

I got to like 40~. The controls (too slippy for precise quick-dashes and Joy-Con lag) and camera just don't work for this minigame. And at least with the jump rope it was 30 for 1st, 100 for 2nd. They're asking you to go from 15 to 100 isn't the fairest of scaling...

ANYWAYS

Done with that kingdom, for now, the bird tells me I just need volleyball and secret art. so onto to the next!

54 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

@purple_beard Fuck. Volley. Ball.

I got to like 40~. The controls (too slippy for precise quick-dashes and Joy-Con lag) and camera just don't work for this minigame. And at least with the jump rope it was 30 for 1st, 100 for 2nd. They're asking you to go from 15 to 100 isn't the fairest of scaling...

ANYWAYS

Done with that kingdom, for now, the bird tells me I just need volleyball and secret art. so onto to the next!

:D

Unlike other 3D platformers like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, I have a somewhat complex relationship with this game.  Of course, let me get out of the way that SMO is phenomenal with pristine graphics, vast open worlds, catchy music, and addictive, liberating gameplay.  What I'm not so fond of is the whole hat-possess function thing.  You know, "capture."  I feel like it undermines all of Mario's past powerups.  Like, I want to have Mario dress up as a tanooki, I don't want him to BECOME one.  That's just weird.  I play Mario games to play Mario, not as other creatures, and I hope this trend of playing as Mario less and less in his own games abruptly stops.  I just wish that SMO didn't have such a capture emphasis, as I love Cappy for everything else, I just think the game over-relies on the capture function.  It also made the game's Bowser ending rather anti-climactic for me.  Moons are a bit too common than I'm used to with Stars, but I don't mind as I LOVE collectathons.   I kind of think of Moons as collecting quarters rather than dollars--not as valuable, but there's a lot more out there and a lot more to do.

SMO will likely be the best game on the system for the duration of its life, but I think it could have done without the capture function (the game really pushes it).  I love everything else about it though.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:57 AM, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Unlike other 3D platformers like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, I have a somewhat complex relationship with this game.  Of course, let me get out of the way that SMO is phenomenal with pristine graphics, vast open worlds, catchy music, and addictive, liberating gameplay.  What I'm not so fond of is the whole hat-possess function thing.  You know, "capture."  I feel like it undermines all of Mario's past powerups.  Like, I want to have Mario dress up as a tanooki, I don't want him to BECOME one.  That's just weird.  I play Mario games to play Mario, not as other creatures, and I hope this trend of playing as Mario less and less in his own games abruptly stops.  I just wish that SMO didn't have such a capture emphasis, as I love Cappy for everything else, I just think the game over-relies on the capture function.  It also made the game's Bowser ending rather anti-climactic for me.  Moons are a bit too common than I'm used to with Stars, but I don't mind as I LOVE collectathons.   I kind of think of Moons as collecting quarters rather than dollars--not as valuable, but there's a lot more out there and a lot more to do.

SMO will likely be the best game on the system for the duration of its life, but I think it could have done without the capture function (the game really pushes it).  I love everything else about it though.

...how did you NOT like the Capture feature? I hope they use it in more titles

3 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

I hope they don't. I like playing as MARIO in Mario games.  

I'd be fine with the feature in Zelda games though.  Maybe it'd help the dull gameplay. :P

Ohhh like the masks in Majora's Mask they did 18 years ago?

I get you're trying to rile me up or make a joke, but Mario's gameplay is far more stale than the stale franchise and the use of the capture system in Odyssey is one of the most refreshing things to the gameplay in a loooong time for Mario. New Mario games are either side-scrolling, single-level, or open worlds (worlds, not world). There are MULTIPLE titles of these types. The only real draw is what new powers are introduced, and the capture system shakes that up a notch by allowing you to play and solve fantastic new puzzles by using these new possessions, none of which break the game (*cough* Cat Mario *cough*) by just allowing you to grab your favourite one, come back, and power through. Zelda games mix things up with story, gimmicks (time travel, masks, multiple Link control), visuals, weapons, and enemies. So even the predictable, formulaic, Zelda gameplay (which was shatter with Breath of the Wild) is far less dull than Mario platformers.

http://luccalise.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-postmortem-on-super-mario-odyssey.html

I wrote a thing on why despite enjoying Super Mario Odyssey, it overall wasn't a game that impressed me that much.

Also if you're looking to shake up the gameplay, the capture mechanic was too shallow and gimmicky to keep interest, it felt like a watered-down version of the Rare 64 platformer movesets which enabled varied gameplay, but I felt it wasn't enough of a focal point of the gameplay to be fleshed out well.  I'd want them to ditch the mechanic entirely in future games, or go full-Kirby and make the capture mechanics deep as Hell.  But I also don't know if Mario would be the game for something like that.

16 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Ohhh like the masks in Majora's Mask they did 18 years ago?

I get you're trying to rile me up or make a joke, but Mario's gameplay is far more stale than the stale franchise and the use of the capture system in Odyssey is one of the most refreshing things to the gameplay in a loooong time for Mario. New Mario games are either side-scrolling, single-level, or open worlds (worlds, not world). There are MULTIPLE titles of these types. The only real draw is what new powers are introduced, and the capture system shakes that up a notch by allowing you to play and solve fantastic new puzzles by using these new possessions, none of which break the game (*cough* Cat Mario *cough*) by just allowing you to grab your favourite one, come back, and power through. Zelda games mix things up with story, gimmicks (time travel, masks, multiple Link control), visuals, weapons, and enemies. So even the predictable, formulaic, Zelda gameplay (which was shatter with Breath of the Wild) is far less dull than Mario platformers.

It's still the same hack 'n slash nonsense though.  If I want to play a really good adventure game, I play Shadow of the Colossus or Dragon Slayer.  Zelda is overrated, mainly praised because it's the only thing most people have played.  Other games have done it better and then some.  And I was going to allude to Majora's Mask but that's not done quite as well as SMO's capture mechanic.

Capture abilities undermine the very idea of powerups in Mario. Why have a tanooki suit when you can BECOME a tanooki?  Why have Cape Mario when you can BECOME a cape?  It's stupid.  I agree that Mario should continue to introduce new power-ups, but they shouldn't use the capture ability to do it.  It's a cheap take on an otherwise highly creative platforming approach.

Shadow of the Colossus is a beautiful, emotionally-driven piece of art that excels at evoking certain emotions and it's one of my favorite pieces of media ever.  But it's a pretty clunky and vacant game.  It's by many measure a bad game. y;

Don't be so insular about Zelda.  You can make the same argument of "it's the only adventure game people have played" with a platform-exclusive series like Mario as well, and neither are true.  Breath of the Wild is heralded as one of the best games made in the past decade by several critics, and it accomplished that in a market where there's a sizable portion of critically-acclaimed open world games it had to compete with, so that argument doesn't really hold water.  BotW had to discard nearly 3 decades of its established tropes to be successful.  Mario on the other hand is really the only prevalent platforming series that exists in a genre that was otherwise stagnating until the Indie-platforming boom happened, and Mario Odyssey barring the possession mechanic is literally just a bigger N64-era platformer.

I wanted to address the Capture Mechanic versus Traditional Power Ups  argument for Mario games.

IMO, the only 3D Mario games to get the power ups right were the two Galaxy games.  Spring, Ghost, and Bee Mario were pretty legit IMO.  SM64?  Ehhh.  Sunshine? Fludd was cool but...  Therefore, as 3D Mario goes, the Capture Mechanic really expands the abilities of Mario and lets really have a great assortment of power ups that give him his widest assortment of abilities in any one game.  I like Cappy and like what he can help Mario do.  IMO, Cappy's only drawback is working his controls to your favor for those expert jumping techniques.

I have found the state of power up ideas in the non-3D Mario games to have gotten very stale of late.  I mean only really Squirrel Mario (NSMBU) with that gliding and clinging power and Cat Mario (SM3DW)  with the climbing abilities have been really legit additions.  Mega and Mini Mushrooms.... not so much....  even if the abilities of Mini feel more inspired than Mega.  Also, for whatever reason, Tanooki Mario just can't be shook from getting reused of late.  I loved Tanooki as the upgraded version of Racoon Mario from SMB3 but part its appeal was that getting it was super rare in-game or you needed those White Mushroom houses to score one.  In the 3DL games he was just overused IMO and then you could earn the cheap white version for help.  Personally, of the flowers -- fire, ice, and gold-- while yes, fire is OG I really did like the Ice Flower's ability for creating ice blocks and freezing enemies and I do actually think the Gold one worked very well in NSMB2.  Its ability to turn stuff into coins like it could helped really well in making alt paths, access to exits, access to other things AND the coin generation to help with getting coins to add lives was very helpful and the gimmick of scoring as many coins as you could was really cool IMO.  Penguin Mario had some cool aspects to him but I never totally felt his abilities.  Cape Mario was a upgrade for flying over Raccoon Mario but somehow, with that really being the only thing in SMW, it just didn't have that attraction to it like other power ups in the series.  in SMB3 Frog Mario did feel inspired and he could really help you out in water stages--I think they could have made more levels use him better but I really liked how he was set up.  He also wasn't that hard to acquire.  Hammer Brother Mario was super cool in SMB3.  His only real problem was his rarity ( so you could hardly ever get a good feel for how he worked) and working out the distance and angles on firing those Hammers at enemies.  I think had he been a lot easier to add to your items he could have really had potential as his fire proofing squat and the hammers being able to kill Boos, Thwomps, and the floor tile ghosts was truly unique.

So, uhh yeah, in short ...for 3D Mario games  Cappy and Capture ability are where its at for power up usefulness.  But I would say that Ghost and Bee Mario would be real close to the top because of their own inherent usefulness.

For 2D Marios (including 3DL/W as the aren't free form 3D for the most part)  only really Cat Mario and Squirrel Mario have really felt inspired as far as designs go.  To get something that cool you would have to go back to SMB3 and Frog and Hammer Bro Mario.  Ice and Gold Flowers have their merit and would get more love from me they could come back into 2D Mario games and really make their presence useful with how they are set up to work.

• Chrom featured this topic