Super Mario Odyssey

Chrom

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to go go ahead and guide myself to some more moons after 601 before using any real guides.

Cap Kingdom   +4

--My final ones felt so cheap to earn as one was hidden behind me in a level I just never looked back to find, 2nd one was in a jumping room where I don't get how I did see up the wall to go after it, I thought it was cheap that I had to buy a moon for a moon, and my final one was the Art One... now I kind of get how these work better after doing my first one.

Damn, the final 4 Purple Coins in Cap Kingdom were in a spot I really should have thought to look at closer.... should have thought something was up with the low boxes and as if the frogs all over the place weren't a clue too.

#15, #29 left and tied to those damn Koopa Races.

*608* now

Cascade Kingdom +2 

-Binoculars and Buying ones obtained.

--#37 that second needed jump at the back end of the level keeps tripping me up to get that one.

- #36, #22 tied to those damn Koopa races.

*610*  now

Sand Kingdom

Bought one (#42) , #8 felt like a return to SMB2 and some of the hidden access points, #9 damn--I should have had this one already...,  #15 is another one I should have found on my own, #21 I thought would have been one--gonna get him later,  #31-- ehh that felt cheap, #34--should have figured from elsewhere in the game, #35 --how did I not get this already, #36--not sure how I missed that glow, #37--fishing for moons lol, #41--didn't think I'd have to go back there again, #46 didn't surprise me--I wonder if that pattern/solution reappears,  #47--that had looked interesting earlier, must have not looked for that hidden access point,  #49 meh... ,  #55 meh,  #59 meh, not sure how much patience I have on this one (well got it, needed a deeper turn past the post)..., #63 meh....,  #65 should have done as other areas had a similar one, #67 meh..., #68 lol--never went back to him to get it,  #76 was some BS... not only had to accelerate but flip the controller to get even more speed to make it.

finished purple coins here: final 7 were a set of 3 and 4, the 3 piece was somewhere I would have thought I would have looked--ledge living indeed and the 4 pack was in a place I had visited and I guess I never looked up high enough to notice they were there.

-#86 & 87 left, and I hated that stage.

*631*  now

************* taking a break ************

Wooded Kingdom

#11 I believe I had seen that plant but not how to get it--got it now,  #22 hmm --interesting way to get it, #26 Glydon was a easier way than the one I was trying, #27 ehh--wouldn't have figured to go back there, #29 so that is where that guy was--well hidden by the trees,  #33 was a ridiculous coin burn,  #36 I swear I had already gotten,  #50 meh--felt cheap ....  #51 can't believe as many times as I was there in that spot I didn't go for it... I know I saw the markers , 

#53, #63,  and #69 will just have to be dealt with later.

*641* now

Lake Kingdom

Very few left to have gotten here... got 'em

#32, 40  screw Koopa Races

*650* now

Cloud Kingdom

#6 was annoying as hell

*651* now

Lost Kingdom:

#21 meh, #22 meh

#24, #30 koopa racing BS

*653* now

Metro Kingdom

#16  so random, #18 lol--but really?, #26 felt cheap, #27 these shopping ones feel so cheap-- I never really thought you had to buy ones to get ones unless you wanted to, #30 no patience for 100,  #36 not sure how I missed that one the first few times through that part, #42 hmmm --kind of figured but kind of didn't the first time there,  #53  Poochy!,   #54 is for the birds--I'll come back to it,  #59 meh, #60 so that is how to get a bike there... interesting, #62 ehh another repeat task, #63 Its electric --wouldn't have thought to have gone back to there, #72 man-- talk about a dog and pony show, 

#30 jump rope 100 ehh,  #54 is for the birds--I'll probably wait to find a good spot to nab him, and then #61 & #74 for those koopa races will have to wait.

*665* now

Seaside Kingdom

#17 damn that was cheap--would have never thought to look there, #18  I didn't already go for that one--odd, #19 I'll come back to --annoying. #29 lacking patience to play with the dog, #35 & #36 ehh--these repetitive moon tasks are starting to wear thin, #39 how did I not see this the first time, #50 man--can't believe that is what that meant .....

Edited by purple_beard

I think I'm ~740 Power Moons in. My intention definitely is to max out the Power Moon encounter and hope that I can get the game's secret ending without needing every objective moon. There are certain Power Moons that I don't feel I would enjoy getting, so I will substitute those with a bought Power Moon. It seems the game has stopped giving me new costumes to buy, and the ones I have yet to purchase don't really interest me enough to get over more Power Moons. Right now, I've cleared out pretty much every kingdom but Bowser's, Dark Side, Darker Side, Metro and Seaside Kingdom. My route is to go for the remaining moons in Bowser's Kingdom, then do Seaside and get close to max with Metro. I should have more achievement Power Moons to get from Toadette, which I'll likely check out in my next sitting. I'm hoping that I could end up with a tolerable coin grind to max counter without really having to go through the meat of Dark Side or Darker Side Kingdoms.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten back into SMO in the last few days and I am pushing 780s in the moon count.

Currently working through Mushroom Kingdom moons.

*passed on Dark and Darker Side ones for now....  just not into boss rushes...

After playing as much as I have I am in some ways kind of ticked about how some moons are earned.

*I don't mind small or large tasks to get moons but...

Playing catch with the dog in multiple levels?

Having to actually buy a moon in EVERY kingdom?

Having to find Peach?

Having to find a cap person?

... and all kinds of others that fall into these repetitive categories... its like you can guess what you have to do in every stage for some of these.

I really liked how the Kingdom Art stuff plays out....I kind of wish I had taken pics the first time I ran into them to activate them...  I had previously just found them and kind of moved on without taking the pics, and you have to do that to get them to activate.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:51 PM, purple_beard said:

I've gotten back into SMO in the last few days and I am pushing 780s in the moon count.

Currently working through Mushroom Kingdom moons.

*passed on Dark and Darker Side ones for now....  just not into boss rushes...

After playing as much as I have I am in some ways kind of ticked about how some moons are earned.

*I don't mind small or large tasks to get moons but...

Playing catch with the dog in multiple levels?

Having to actually buy a moon in EVERY kingdom?

Having to find Peach?

Having to find a cap person?

... and all kinds of others that fall into these repetitive categories... its like you can guess what you have to do in every stage for some of these.

I really liked how the Kingdom Art stuff plays out....I kind of wish I had taken pics the first time I ran into them to activate them...  I had previously just found them and kind of moved on without taking the pics, and you have to do that to get them to activate.

Wait so you have to take pictures of them? All this time I was screen shoting them. Where is the one for the Cap Kingdom now? lol.

17 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Wait so you have to take pictures of them? All this time I was screen shoting them. Where is the one for the Cap Kingdom now? lol.

How do you mean screen shooting them?  I had ran into them during normal play and had looked at them.  One of them I went back to get and because I didn't do the photo for that screen of looking at the art, the moon activation didn't happen as I didn't get it.  I had to go back to them and use t he snapshot to have the pic in the album.  After that they worked like they should.

27 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

How do you mean screen shooting them?  I had ran into them during normal play and had looked at them.  One of them I went back to get and because I didn't do the photo for that screen of looking at the art, the moon activation didn't happen as I didn't get it.  I had to go back to them and use t he snapshot to have the pic in the album.  After that they worked like they should.

There's a button on the Switch that takes screen shots right? Also in Odyssey there's an option to take pictures as well. I did the first one. Those automatically get saved into your Switch memory/sd card.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:41 PM, purple_beard said:

My final ones felt so cheap

I thought it was cheap

ehh that felt cheap

meh--felt cheap

felt cheap

feel so cheap

damn that was cheap--would have never thought to look there

why is it cheap to hide things in places you wouldn't expect to find them. isn't that the point? psyduck;

10 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

There's a button on the Switch that takes screen shots right? Also in Odyssey there's an option to take pictures as well. I did the first one. Those automatically get saved into your Switch memory/sd card.

Hmmm, must have missed that in playing.... I used the camera button to take my shots and those seemed to work with the Kingdom Art.

1 minute ago, EH_STEVE said:

I got this for Christmas, but still haven't opened it yet (I got AC: Origins on the 23rd and had started that, and usually only do 1 console, 1 handheld at a time).

That being said, how is it off-screen, as I could play it that way...

Handheld doesn't give you the scope of the levels as good as on a tv but it is playable.  I would argue for some techniques its easier to use a pro controller, JC grip, or JCs in hand than trying the same moves attached to the tablet.

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Handheld doesn't give you the scope of the levels as good as on a tv but it is playable.  I would argue for some techniques its easier to use a pro controller, JC grip, or JCs in hand than trying the same moves attached to the tablet.

I've heard that as well...

I feel like a fish out of water when I say that while I enjoyed the game a great deal, I did not fall in love with it as much as I thought I would.  I'm at 400 moons and I don't have a tremendous desire to finish the game.  After the linearity of the past several Mario games focusing and honing the platforming mechanics of the series, I'm just sort of over the open-world adventure game masquerading as a platformer.  It felt more like a N64-era 3D Rare game where there's a de-emphasis on platforming in lieu of random minigames and gimmicks surrounding different mechanics of possessing things.  Which is all well and good, but like Yooka-Laylie (to a dramatically lesser extent because SMO is still fantastic) I can understand why these games sort of went the way of the dodo.

The Kingdoms in the story just managed not to overstay their welcome long enough for me to get bored (sometimes), but I don't have much desire to go back to most of them.  It was a great experience but I don't care to "complete" or 100% the game.  Will make for fun speedruns to watch I guess.

7 hours ago, purple_beard said:

There is a difference in sitting on a park bench with a random character and then finding some secret/hidden path in the stage that leads you to a moon.

Yeah, man. More games should reward you in unique ways for genuinely just messin' around and doin' stuff. I thought it was really neat.

2 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Ok so when you take a picture, the kingdom art reacts automatically?

Ok, so my understanding is that when you find a piece of it, you can't just look at it and not even just go up to it and press a to "view it" --you have to take a pic of it and have it in your album.  Once you have the shot taken then you can go find that spot wherever it is and the moon should activate.  In my 1st play through I didn't do any picture taking and when I tried to for the Kingdom Art from areas I had visited I wasn't getting the moons to show up so I had to to back to them and take that pic for the moon to activate.

2 hours ago, Astlyr said:

I feel like a fish out of water when I say that while I enjoyed the game a great deal, I did not fall in love with it as much as I thought I would.  I'm at 400 moons and I don't have a tremendous desire to finish the game.  After the linearity of the past several Mario games focusing and honing the platforming mechanics of the series, I'm just sort of over the open-world adventure game masquerading as a platformer.  It felt more like a N64-era 3D Rare game where there's a de-emphasis on platforming in lieu of random minigames and gimmicks surrounding different mechanics of possessing things.  Which is all well and good, but like Yooka-Laylie (to a dramatically lesser extent because SMO is still fantastic) I can understand why these games sort of went the way of the dodo.

The Kingdoms in the story just managed not to overstay their welcome long enough for me to get bored (sometimes), but I don't have much desire to go back to most of them.  It was a great experience but I don't care to "complete" or 100% the game.  Will make for fun speedruns to watch I guess.

I'd buy that N64 era collect-a-thon 3D platformer angle for sure!  I'm still more of a 2D Mario guy over 3D even if I do like 3DW, 3DL, Galaxy 1 and 2, and Odyssey ( I was never much for SM64 (mainly because of the camera) and the BS associated with SMS).

I'd say this games moons are the equivalent to the Koroks in BotW.  That said, I found the obtaining moons in SMO less of a chore and more fun than the tasks associated finding Koroks.  Plus, the added inventory slots for Koroks loses its appeal at a certain point.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Ok, so my understanding is that when you find a piece of it, you can't just look at it and not even just go up to it and press a to "view it" --you have to take a pic of it and have it in your album.  Once you have the shot taken then you can go find that spot wherever it is and the moon should activate.  In my 1st play through I didn't do any picture taking and when I tried to for the Kingdom Art from areas I had visited I wasn't getting the moons to show up so I had to to back to them and take that pic for the moon to activate.

Gotcha. And all this time I thought they were just hints or something lol.