BIG changes coming to sites that review Nintendo games?

Some asshole that got a review copy of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowers's Minions thought it'd be a good ideal to leak the game online. Now, in response NOA is clamping down HARD on review copies...

Link to article: https://gonintendo.com/stories/293166-usgamer-says-nintendo-cracking-down-on-review-copies-codes-after

Seriously, what does one gain from leaking a game online? If you're going be an asshole and leak a game, why would you be stupid enough to leak a Nintendo game? Nintendo's assistant ninjas, will be on your ass like white on rice. Remember that guy who leaked New Super Mario Bros. Wii before it came out? Anyway, it's nice to see that they were able to trackback to the person who leaked the game. Though, it makes me wonder if it was a YouTuber who leaked the game? I've seen quite a few YTers totally ignore Nintendo's embargo on games and just do a full lets play of a game when they get it, just to get all those views/revenue...Plus, a YTer most likely has less to lose if anything happens. It sux that most likely, we won't see most Nintendo reviews until after the game launches from now on. :(  I assume big sites like IGN, GameSopt, etc. will still get review copies on time, but with a VERY watchful eye from NOA.

Edited by alienboyva
2 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I've seen quite a few YTers totally ignore Nintendo's embargo on games and just do a full lets play of a game when they get it just to get all those views/revenue.  It sux that most likely, we we won't see most Nintendo reviews until after the game launches from now on. :(  I assume big sites like IGN, GameSopt, etc. will still get review copies on time.

I think the issue in  today's media environment is that anyone with a YT channel, blog, website, ect.. can be a "media" outlet for a games review versus a "traditional news/media" outlet who has real journalists so to speak covering stuff.  Its also a hot takes/reactions/ reactions to reactions/click bait online media market now so you have to do what you have to do to get those clicks.

This actually happened with Fire Emblem Echoes as well recently. The Japanese version of the game had been leaked online several weeks in advance of the release date, so we got it datamined and knew pretty much everything about it before it actually came out. I knew quite a few people who downloaded the game and were playing it on their own 3DS and were even using a shoddy English translation patch thanks to homebrew. No idea how that even happened in the first place, but for me those were honestly fun times learning about the game under the hood early.

I'm personally not an opponent against this kind of thing, but I understand Nintendo's stance on this with Mario & Luigi and I also think it was dumb of the leaker of that game to have left behind their traces and get caught over an inconsequential game like Mario & Luigi. Though a number of YouTubers benefited from the early release, I don't believe it was an actual YouTuber who was responsible because we probably would've been able to identify them ourselves by now if Nintendo was able to detect that they were a journalist.

Wouldn't be surprised if it involves them thinning the pool of review copy recipients and some kind of method of verification to determine who is leaking the game if it happens again.  I definitely get what PB is after regarding that click bait culture of being "first" and reaping the benefits of it having an effect.  It's just another one of those things that's just going to encourage Nintendo to be more conservative in areas like this which is exactly the kind of thing people tend to complain about them doing in some capacity.