Nintendo axes live streams

From the article:

As of today, YouTubers who are also registered members of the Nintendo Creators Program are no longer allowed to broadcast content on YouTube Live. Nintendo gives partners two options: they can broadcast content on YouTube Live from a channel that isn't registered to the program, or they can cancel their channel's registration to the program, and instead register their videos to the program separately. The changes were announced in an email sent to content creators yesterday evening, although Nintendo didn't officially publish the changes to the program until today.

Some Twitter users have posted the contents of the email, which announces that changes have been made as to how the Nintendo Creators Program will handle revenue generated from live streams. It adds that live streaming falls “outside the scope” of the program.

Sourcehttps://www.techdirt.com/articles/20171002/14425838331/nintendo-nixes-live-streams-own-creators-program-some-reason.shtml

The point is that they can't maintain the same control over what the content looks like when it's livestreamed. Someone could randomly drop "nigger" while streaming pokemon to little kids, and that isn't how Nintendo wants their brand represented. 

18 minutes ago, K said:

The point is that they can't maintain the same control over what the content looks like when it's livestreamed. Someone could randomly drop "nigger" while streaming pokemon to little kids, and that isn't how Nintendo wants their brand represented. 

Good point. I could see that being part of the issue. Could it be related to what PewDiePie did earlier this year?

Edited by Doc Brown
14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Good point. I could see that being part of the issue. Coulld it be related to what PewDiePie did earlier this year?

6 minutes ago, K said:

It absolutely does. 

Pretty much.

It's mainly like this because with the channel registered, it logs every video uploaded under the Creators Program Copyright automatically. With registering select videos (which takes up to 48-72 hours, maybe shorter), those are checked before being put under the Creators Program Copyright for the games that fall under the supported games. It only affects the full channel registrants since the uploads have to be live and public to register with individual videos.

Only thing those channels can do would be to stream on another streaming site, save the recording and put the recording on youtube.

2 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I've heard a lot about Pewdiepie in these debates, but no one has ever recapped what "that incident" is always referring to.

Unless he transmuted a girl and a dog on stream, I can't imagine what qualifies as unspeakable on the internet.

He was streaming PUBG (Player Unknown's Battleground) and was shooting at someone in-game. He was getting irritated so he blurted out the n-word in frustration. I heard he said it again hours later.

1 hour ago, The Krazy One said:

He was streaming PUBG (Player Unknown's Battleground) and was shooting at someone in-game. He was getting irritated so he blurted out the n-word in frustration. I heard he said it again hours later.

So... par for the Xbox Live course. Obscene fans haven't stopped Call of Duty or Minecraft from being played by kids.

I can't see Nintendo losing more than ten lifetime sales to this. Compare that to all the free advertising they just banned from broadcasting directly to their core consumer base.

23 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

So... par for the Xbox Live course. Obscene fans haven't stopped Call of Duty or Minecraft from being played by kids.

I can't see Nintendo losing more than ten lifetime sales to this. Compare that to all the free advertising they just banned from broadcasting directly to their core consumer base.

He's the most popular youtuber in the world with a legion of impressionable fans and said it during a stream. It made headlines. Not quite the same as randos cursing on Xbox Live.

2 hours ago, Young P said:

He's the most popular youtuber in the world with a legion of impressionable fans and said it during a stream. It made headlines. Not quite the same as randos cursing on Xbox Live.

Ugh... don't remind me.

I assumed after the Nazi jokes controversy that people would expect his content to sound foul. Apparently it still surprised everyone? Either way I'd like to go back to living in my own little world where the person in question doesn't exist.