Famicom Disk System mini originally planned + Famicom mini wasn't planned for JPN

- Nintendo considered releasing a Famicom Disc System Mini 
- a mockup for the device was created 
- if Nintendo went through with the system, the company would only be able to sell it in Japan 
- it also would have excluded Zelda / Metroid, so they didn’t release it 
- Nintendo only intended to release the NES Classic Edition/NES Mini in North America and Europe 
- once representatives at Nintendo’s sales department saw what the device would be like, they proposed it for Japan as well 
- NES Classic Edition was made 50 percent smaller than the original. 
- Famicom Mini is 60 percent the size, due to the original size of the Famicom 
- the boards were too big to fit in to the 50 percent scale form factor, and the controller would be too small to play 
- the NES Classic Edition mockup had a USB connector to connect controllers 
- this was removed due to standardization and to ensure safety

Link: https://gonintendo.com/stories/292377-nintendo-considered-releasing-a-famicom-disc-system-mini-almost

It's kind of odd that they didn't release a FC:DS mini, because it would exclude two of the biggest games for it. I don't get why they'd have to exclude them. Anyway, I could totally see a Disk System mini being released as a expansion for the FC mini that just plugs into the micro USB port (of course the Disk System would have it's on USB port to power both devices). As for only having the NES Classic planned for NA and EUR, that's also odd and I wonder why they did't originally play one for JPN as well? I guess that's why it took so long for the JPN announcement after NA/EU. I'm glad someone at Nintendo saw the NES Classic and was like "Yo! JPN needs one too." 

Interesting that the NES Classic originally had USB controllers. It would have been cool to use them on PC and especially, the Switch. I guess they only wanted their controllers to be used on their system, but I don't really get how removing the USB ports would "ensure safety".

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Famicom Disk System mini originally planned + Famicom mini wasn't planned for JPN

Good thing they found some kind of middle ground so that everyone could get a little something.  If they did Famicom Disk System then would this whole retro Nintendo platform product line have been relegated to just that?  Even more surprising is that they didn't even consider Japan initially in doing this for the NES/Famicom classic.