Why is 'Mario Party: The Top 100' releasing for the 3DS instead of the Switch?

Rizz

The 3DS is getting its third Mario Party game, and possibly the most interesting one of the three. I can't help but wonder why it's making its way to the 3DS instead of the Switch, is it because they're working on a Mario Party 11? even then, I'd rather have two Mario Party games on the Switch instead of three on the 3DS. :P

They could easily delay and polish Mario Party 11 to release at another date and Mario Party: The Top 100 would hold people over for at least a year.

This game is just going to feel awkward getting released on the 3DS, combining the franchises home console and handheld mini games into one, that's 100% what the Switch is. I feel like they just decided to be lazy and not invest time into polishing the game to Switch standards.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe they feel that there's enough of an audience  still to release it on the 3ds. 

And maybe they'll eventually release it out onto the Switch at a later time.

Honestly, a Mario Party game is needed on the Switch.  The party genre is sort of lacking on the Switch, which creates an environment conducive to a Mario Party title succeeding right now.  Additionally, the 3DS is, to most casual buyers, a recent bygone, and certainly not a system for which they're eager to buy games.  The Switch makes too much sense. 

Edited by Linkamoto
51 minutes ago, Linkamoto said:

Honestly, a Mario Party game is needed on the Switch.  The party genre is sort of lacking on the Switch, which creates an environment conducive to a Mario Party title succeeding right now.  Additionally, the 3DS is, to most casual buyers, a recent bygone, and certainly not a system for which they're eager to buy games.  The Switch makes too much sense. 

Maybe. But it's not a bad thing that it's on the 3ds either. There are still plenty of buyers out there. 

36 minutes ago, avalonknight said:

Hmm, when I saw it, the minigames only format seems like it's best suited for a 3DS, at least at this stage, and to give it one last go. Wouldn't be surprised if they are already onto developing Mario Party for the Switch.

I wouldn't be either.

Who knows?  But though the 3DS is slowly on its way out it's still a viable platform new software particularly first party software which will see a lot more promotion and support than any waning third party titles that may hit the system.  I'm sure Nintendo wants at least one more big holiday out of that family of systems (assuming they are winding down with that platform) and considering they are putting out new 2DS bundles and pushing the New 2DS XL they're gonna want some manner of software to push alongside that.  Might have been a good idea to do a dual release on both platforms and maybe have it as an eShop option for Switch sometime down the line but I don't think it's that incredulous that they are tossing this Mario Party onto the 3DS family at this time.

They probably put it on the 3DS specifically because it already has two Mario Party games: all the groundwork is already there for a new MP game to run on the 3DS. And plus, despite seemingly everyone expecting them to just drop the 3DS, Nintendo doesn't appear to be completely done supporting the handheld.

And I don't think it's any stretch of the imagination to expect a Mario Party game on the Switch eventually. It's just not going to be this holiday season.

You can kind of make the case that any 3DS game going forward belongs on the Switch. It's just that Nintendo is convinced the 3DS has some life left in it. Which, to be fair, will be determined largely on how well they continue to support it. I know some folks are kinda burned out on 3DS, but I'm hard pressed to find a reason to be upset about not having to buy a new console. :P