Tokyo is saved! My 80 Hr Battle against the mirages in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

So yeah, I got this game when it first came out and only just now completed it earlier tonight.  I played the game up until the intermission following Chapter 1 and then sorta neglected it as other games I was playing (and new ones coming out) took away my attention.  However, as certain responsibilities in life freed up and bits of my backlog cleared out I finally got around to this game and pretty much focused on it 100% (aside from the week I spent playing Samus Returns, heh heh).  When I first booted it back up I was only bout six hours in I believe.  I never expected that I would add on additional 75+ hours as I guided Itsuki and his friends to victory against the mirages that were plaguing Tokyo.  Don't get me wrong though, because that 80+ hours was some of the best I've had in a JRPG in a long time.

It's kind of funny looking back to how this game was finally revealed and the skeptical take many people had on it.  After all, it's not hard to see why some people were a bit torn up with themselves over a game that was a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover.  What most had in mind certainly didn't approach anywhere near the kind of game we actually got.  But even I was really impressed with the whole adventure upon starting the game and even now that I've completed it.  Some of the cleanest graphics and character models around, fantastic soundtrack (which makes me regret not getting the Special Edition and I could have), a really fun battle system that lifts and combines a few different aspects from both the SMT and Fire Emblem series and a story that gradually develops into an epic, albeit expected, grand showdown with the big bad with some great character stories and progression thrown in for good measure.

Seeing the characters in the games grow and find resolution to their own personal issues going forward made for some really cool and sometimes heartwarming moments.  The finale for Tiki's side story for instance was among my favorites alongside Yashiro's and Touma's.  Though the game has been out for a bit I guess I won't spoil anything about them, but I liked how they concluded the most.  And man, the music videos for various characters/moments in the game are so well done.  They really nailed the atmosphere of being steeped in the entertainment industry since different characters excel at certain categories of entertainment as compared to others.  For instance, Touma wanting to be an action star and Tsubasa coming into her own as a pop idol.  But how they tie it into the game's narrative with certain characters just works so well.  One of my favorites is "The Labyrinth" from Kiria and you get a sense of that when listening to the lyrics and of course watching certain sequences during her performance, but even disregarding all of that the visuals and the "choreography" was just so much fun to watch onscreen.  This much is true for just about every character.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this game and although I'd like to see a different take in the future on what a Fire Emblem in a modern setting would look and play like I'd love to see another SMTxFE collaboration like this.   There's so much more I could say and gush on about but I don't want to ramble on too much. :P

Edited by Kezay

I think Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a really fascinating game, it's amazing that something of its kind was born from a collaboration between Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, and Atlus. It's got this wonderful fusion between the styles of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem and blends them into a really unique experience. I'd really like there to be some kind of extension of it on Nintendo Switch in the form of a sequel or a port so that more people can see what it's about, as unfortunately it seems the game got very overlooked.

7 hours ago, Chrom said:

I think Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a really fascinating game, it's amazing that something of its kind was born from a collaboration between Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, and Atlus. It's got this wonderful fusion between the styles of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem and blends them into a really unique experience. I'd really like there to be some kind of extension of it on Nintendo Switch in the form of a sequel or a port so that more people can see what it's about, as unfortunately it seems the game got very overlooked.

Yeah that's a real shame. No idea how well it actually did but I don't recall anything ever really coming up in terms of sales or performance. (see what I did there? :P) But no seriously, it sucks that it likely fell to the wayside which might make it tough if not impossible for another like it to be greenlit because it was a really enjoyable game.

7 hours ago, Nanna said:

I'm kind of in a similar boat in that I got the game on release (a day before in fact!) but I still haven't finished it. I'm enjoying it a lot, but other things keep taking up my time. I do plan to get back into it and finish it soon, though.

Indeed. I sorta had to put myself into the zone to play it because I kept overlooking it but once I got started again and resolved to finish it before starting on anything else I couldn't stop.  There was always something driving me to keep playing and advancing further whether it was the characters or even just trying to create more Carnage so I could draw new skills from them.

I was skeptical of the game when they revealed its J-pop setting, but the gameplay is rock solid. The combat is really great and avoids the RPG pitfall of monotony by making every battle interesting since you're always targeting weakpoints and considering how best to let your characters chain attacks together. And even though I still think the characters are a bit too anime-cliché I was won over by the soundtrack, especially since I do have the game's Special Edition thanks to Chrom and last year's secret santa exchange (thanks Chrom!).

• Chrom featured this topic