Bonneton - N4A Chat Thread, October 2017

Chrom

14 hours ago, Shiva said:

want another game this wednesday? :P

Might be able to depending on how much studying I get done haha, got a midterm that evening but I should be at school and able to play for a lil bit

22 hours ago, Schmengland said:

Just tried mapping my OneDrive as a network drive (\\d.docs.live.net\xxxxxxxxxxxxx) and then used my media player to pull and stream lossless music from it.

The cool thing is that it works and that the stream goes without any hiccups, but playback initiation takes a minute, all but eliminating gapless transitions.

Perhaps I need gigabit speeds for something like this?

@Kodiack

If that's just over the LAN it shouldn't be bad, but I admittedly do not know if it's going over the net for it or not, and I don't know how on-demand streaming works with OneDrive. You may want to check out Plex.

Since my computer died I'm stuck using one of the ones that my university lends out. This thing feels so awful. The track pad feels like it's made from the cheapest plastic this side of China and the trackpoint in the keyboard is obnoxiously huge. This is one to definitely cross off my shopping list. 

58 minutes ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Man, rejection just digs deeper and deeper into your skin the more times it happens to you.

At least you're trying man. It's so easy to imagine what could be and not want to risk rejection, and just go on not having ever talked to the girl. But at least you're going for it. I've known too many friends back in school who would just let crushes stew within them and never make it out to actually talk to the person about it. You grow every time you step out of your comfort zone. 

Stay strong grimbino

How's college been otherwise?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Damn that sucks :(. I hope that things look up for you there.

Thanks Gio my dude. :)

1 hour ago, fuzz said:

At least you're trying man. It's so easy to imagine what could be and not want to risk rejection, and just go on not having ever talked to the girl. But at least you're going for it. I've known too many friends back in school who would just let crushes stew within them and never make it out to actually talk to the person about it. You grow every time you step out of your comfort zone. 

Stay strong grimbino

How's college been otherwise?

Aye, but I've never had anything worthwhile to show for it, ya know? I'm, like, the only one left out of all my friends who's never experienced dating or romance or any of that shit no matter how hard I try. At what point does it turn from bold courage and effort into pathetic desperation and despair? 

But, nevertheless, I appreciate your encouragement mate. 

It's been good. My professors are pretty dope, especially my History and Journalism profs. I also learned a new phrase native to the peoples of Ottowa; "Tits up at the Roobub, eh" or something like that means "Ya ate shit real good there" or "Mazal tov ya done fucked up" or "Congratulations; you played yourself".

Also, I've been keeping up with my work, so all is good.

I'm just...extremely impotent. headengineer;

Edited by Sir Grim Locksmith VIII
30 minutes ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Aye, but I've never had anything worthwhile to show for it, ya know? I'm, like, the only one left out of all my friends who's never experienced dating or romance or any of that shit no matter how hard I try. At what point does it turn from bold courage and effort into pathetic desperation and despair? 

But, nevertheless, I appreciate your encouragement mate. 

It's been good. My professors are pretty dope, especially my History and Journalism profs. I also learned a new phrase native to the peoples of Ottowa; "Tits up at the Roobub, eh" or something like that means "Ya ate shit real good there" or "Mazal tov ya done fucked up" or "Congratulations; you played yourself".

Also, I've been keeping up with my work, so all is good.

I'm just...extremely impotent. headengineer;

I hear ya. Everyone has things happen at their own pace, but it can be particularly hard when you see peers experiencing something you wish you were. Honestly, for me things always seemed to work out when I stopped worrying and trying so hard. After I broke up with my first long term girlfriend, I was constantly on online dating apps and trying to meet people and trying so so hard and it never really got anywhere. I kept up with that for a few months, until I decided I wanted to stop worrying so much and instead just kinda try to focus on me for a bit. Met my now girlfriend during that time, and approached that relationship completely differently to the way I had interacted with women before that.

That's not to say it isn't something you should care about, but you're in your first year of college my dude! You've got a ton of time! It's a chance to be more independent that you've ever been, and in a place with a bunch of people in the same situation as you. There's a lot of really cool people in college, and a lot of really cool things going on. It just takes the effort to get out there and participate, but for me it was so worth it. Get involved, meet people, both platonic friendships and romantic relationships can come from these things!

Great professors make all the difference man, I'm glad you've got some good ones. Keeping up with work is one of the hardest things when starting college so good on ya for keeping up with that. You'll be alright my dude!

Edited by fuzz
51 minutes ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

At what point does it turn from bold courage and effort into pathetic desperation and despair?

The point at which you look at others and what they have or have had in romance and start lamenting the fact that you haven't had it.

It is, above all, absolutely imperative that you not think on this subject with the assumption that you're a "failure" or "impotent" because you haven't "gotten it" yet. "It", in this case, can refer to all manner of things relating to love, sex, and/or romance--whatever it is you want (the precise thing isn't my business and it doesn't matter to the point anyway).

You are working on your time, and that is all that should matter to you. This is not a blaze-your-own-trail speech, an assertion that your "soul mate" will "just come to you", or an attempt to blow this up in to a macroscopic cultural issue. Just be aware, nonetheless, that the envy and frustration you feel arises at least partly from associations and expectations stemming from the latter.

Have patience and humility and you'll find the person--or people--for whom you're looking.

Edited by Schmengland

@Chrom Do we still have a buy/sell thread? I figure it'd be pretty pointless considering the fact that everyone already likely has one, but I'm looking at selling my like new black friday N3DS and I figured I'd post that there if we still had one. My stupid big hands couldn't get used to it, so I finally contacted Nintendo a while back to do a system transfer to my old 3DS XL.

@fuzz Nah mate that ain't cheesy. I guess I feel like if I don't try it won't happen at all. Ah oh well, I guess I just gotta be me. But ya know, hormones are at an all time high and shiet; I really hope something happens soon, especially when Halloween is coming up soon. Got my Bojack Horseman costume ready and everything.

@Schmengland Aye, yeah I guess I've always been desperate then. Fuck. Also yeah I'm not looking for a soul-mate or any of that bullshit; that's when it becomes forced and fake and something I'll probably regret. I'm just looking for some experience. I can't stay an innocent bunny forever. I GOTTA GET FUCKED UP IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE IF YOU CATCH MY COLD.

Good morning chat thread. flower;

Leaving for my next trip to the US soon and, as always, my body decides it is more nervous than excited. hamcry; What the fuck, body? I'm just going to Chicago to visit my parents like I have a bajillion times by now, you do not have to fucking flip your shit.

On the bright side, looking forward to a 7h+ flight has finally reminded me to replace my headphones. My old ones bit the dust sometime ago to the point where they're still functional, but barely and annoyingly, but I don't use them often so I tend to forget to replace them. The new set is the same kind my husband has; seems expensive to me, but he's really happy with them so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they'll last me a while longer.

@Nanna Have a safe trip!

@fuzz We currently don't have a b/s/t thread unfortunately. The one we had on the old site was nice but I figured the reason why it didn't stick around was because there wasn't enough interest in having one anymore. I think unless that changes you might have a better chance selling your 3DS elsewhere. Good luck in any case!