Metroid: Samus Returns

Chrom

FUCK!

I made it to the first Omega's room with only 2 energy tanks left, so that every time I die, it loads me right back outside the room with that much health. And I can't go back to the Recharge Station, the save point, or the teleport station because those rooms are now flooded with grape soda! And since I couldn't save, I had to turn my 3DS off to get off the BART station to work!

That's 45 minutes of progress down the fucking toilet.

7 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

FUCK!

Hide contents

I made it to the first Omega's room with only 2 energy tanks left, so that every time I die, it loads me right back outside the room with that much health. And I can't go back to the Recharge Station, the save point, or the teleport station because those rooms are now flooded with grape soda! And since I couldn't save, I had to turn my 3DS off to get off the BART station to work!

That's 45 minutes of progress down the fucking toilet.

:( Sorry to hear. Made it past the first Omega last night on vanilla Hard mode before I had to go to sleep to go in for some work today (the other ones are easier when you later have the power bombs at least), and basically, since there were no recharge stations in that area as mentioned, had to grind for health off of enemies in the previous rooms, suicide against the Omega (you come back with the same health you previously gained) and rinse & repeat until I was more or less back to full health. Just do that next time if worse comes to worse. It's inconvenient, but the best you have to work with in that area...

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Dear Person Who Programmed The Giant Robot Boss In Area 6:

Please locate the nearest fire and go die in it.

With love,

--Ty

I must have died a dozen times just trying to figure out how to damage it and then another couple of times trying to survive the different phases of the fight, lol.

Anyway, finally finished the game not too long ago.  Not 100% just yet and my total playtime was a little over 13 hours. (yeah I REALLY took my time with this one, haha)  Definitely enjoyed my time with it and some of the changes fit in pretty naturally.  Really surprising and fun final boss battle though.  For a lot of people Mirror of Fate didn't exactly pan out for Mercury Steam as a good 2.5D Castlevania (though I enjoyed what I played of the demo anyway) but I think they knocked it out the park with this one.  Hope they become a close partner with Nintendo like Next Level Games and get hands on with other games.  Wouldn't even mind them on another Metroid installment sometime.

Oh yeah, definitely. Mirror of Fate was alright, tho nothing too special. Did actually like their Lords of Shadow games though, despite being kind of a departure from the norm for Castlevania, but I get why others weren't a fan of Mercury's take on the series. Thankfully, their first Metroid here painted a much better first impression for them.

As for the Diggernaut robot, it's not really that bad once you figure it out, though it kinda had bullshit hitboxes during some parts.

Ok, down to my last two expansions in Area 8(maybe only one left, not sure how if I have all regular missile expansions) but have no clue how to get the Super Missile one near the top surrounded by the red spikes(I know the trick to get around but the path down is in the middle but you are going too fast unless there is a trick to stop early).

6 hours ago, Kezay said:

For a lot of people Mirror of Fate didn't exactly pan out for Mercury Steam as a good 2.5D Castlevania (though I enjoyed what I played of the demo anyway) but I think they knocked it out the park with this one.  Hope they become a close partner with Nintendo like Next Level Games and get hands on with other games.  Wouldn't even mind them on another Metroid installment sometime.

I would really like that. I was scared, given Mirror of Fate's mixed reception, but I've never been so happy to be proven wrong. I love this game, dude. If there's enough demand, creating another Metroid with the same engine wouldn't take that much time, now that the framework is in place. It would just depend on if Ninty wanted to set aside the resources. And take another financial risk.

On a related note, apparently it's the third best selling game in Japan this week, losing out to Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 and Splatton 2.  

It still hasn't matched Other M's sales. 

MSR's also top of the charts for 3DS eshop sales of the week.

Other M had the luxury of being a Wii game, so it sold alright for a time despite being terribly received, whereas MSR's a game that came out late in the 3DS lifecycle, in the midst of the Switch hype on top of that... Think it's doing pretty well so far in spite of this. The sales expectations for it may not be that high considering those factors but regardless, the loving reception MSR's got going for it unlike the last couple or so Metroid games could carry it a long way.

Ugh, I wasn't able to edit my previous post so i'll just correct myself here. I was missing expansion in Area 7 not 8 and found the hidden path to it. I also took a crack at final boss before sleeping and actually beat it though I was too close to death and just restarted at the checkpoint. Started Hard Mode file last night and got to first save point.

^ Good to hear. Didn't remember how to get the expansion you mentioned but glad ya figured it out. Just got to the final boss on Hard mode last night after 100%, shaving off about half the time I took on my first playthrough. Kinda solidifies for me though that 100% speedruns on this game aren't viable for getting the better endings where Samus takes off her armor post-credits, unless maybe you know every path where you don't slip up any and don't have to go around scan pulsing at all, but that'd take a crazy amount of practice and memorization. Speedruns in general won't be as fast as previous 2D entries due to the meatier worlds and lack of speedbooster.

Huh, apparently last week, Super Metroid reappeared in the sales charts at 16, this week at 11. Clearly MSR is giving it a boost.

Somewhat related to Samus Returns.

After beating it, I decided I should beat the rest of the Metroid games that I haven't played, which included Zero Mission and Prime Hunters and Federation Force.  I bought Zero Mission on Wii U VC (was debating that or buying it on Ebay, but there are so many "reproduction" cartridges I said fuck it, I didn't want to get scammed.)  Beat that earlier today.  Was good, got 100% (used a map), although I had a hell of a time getting some of the expansions in that game.

With that I need only beat Prime Hunters.  This, I probably will buy on Ebay, unless someone can actually recommend the Wii U's NDS emulation, which I haven't tried.

I'm a little upset with myself. While I already looked up the Spider Spark, I had not used a guide to actually find an expansion as I felt the Scan Pulse was perfect to go guideless with. That changed early this morning when I made the wrong assumption while exploring around Area 4 for my final collectible. It was around 3:00am and I was exploring with the mindset that if I had been to a room that it would show those indications that a part of a wall could be bombed. I also felt like I had used Scan Pulse in every possible area I could...but yeah, it turns out my assumption was wrong and I just had to use my Scan Pulse a bit more. Lesson learned though for when I go for 100% in Areas 5-8.

I could have a 100% file by the end of the night depending on when I play. Between the game tracking area collection %, being fully upgraded, having map pins, scan pulse and the teleport terminals, getting 100% in the different areas has been going at a brisk pace and it has been satisfying to experience that.

Edited by IU

Now that I know locations for all expansions plus have the map, my Hard Mode run is going smoothly so far. Trying my best to optimize and not spend too much time tracking down expansions so I can possibly get an under 4 hr completion for best ending. It will take a few runs myself before I feel good enough to try Fusion Mode(there was someone crazy enough to do a 0% Fusion Run on Gamefaqs that even posted pic proof).

Edited by Dancing Mog

I ended up getting 100% yesterday in the game. Metroid: Samus Returns is now in the same club as Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Other M, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Of the five, MSR had the most satisfying feel for 100%, as with its navigational tools, like the Scan Pulse and map markers, I wasn't pulling myself away from the game to look at a guide except to find one expansion in Area 4 and to learn about the Spider Spark. I find it one of the more immersive Metroid experiences to date as a result and thanks to the mechanics the player has access to in getting all areas cleared out. Already mentioned the Scan Pulse and map markers, but I really love the teleporter system in place as well.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it doesn't display the completion % on the completion screen. Even though I feel that the 100% in MSR is the most satisfying I've done, the game disappointed me a little by not acknowledging that achievement with a simple record. It is a step down from the completion screen in Samus's last outing on a handheld, which recorded completion %, time, hunter battles, final boss time and death count. Having more records opens up the door to more experimentation going forward as well, rather than just working my way toward and through faster times and harder difficulties. I think a no death run, for instance, would be interesting for MSR if there was a way to track that stat. It's a little thing that I feel could have made an already special game even better.

When going back for all expansions, I decided to play those sessions on my New 3DS XL with the 3D effect on. I rarely ever use the 3D function, and I did not use it when I initially ran through the game. It may be hard for me to go back to no 3D completely after taking in the true scope of SR388's varied subterranean worlds. I felt that Metroid: Samus Returns already was at the standards of most of the Prime Series in terms of environmental detail and atmosphere without the 3D effect on, so I was really impressed and taken away by how stunning the depth was for each region. I've said this before, I think last year's AM2R was the "Zero Mission" treatment of Metroid II. Samus Returns reimagined Metroid II much further and I think it has laid down the foundation for a much more evolved form of 2D Metroid going forward.

My expectations for Metroid Prime 4 are much higher now after 100% completion for this game. Yoshio Sakamoto was crucified over Other M and then the next Metroid game he's associated with brings 2D Metroid roaring back. The game raises the standard in my opinion. Kensuke Tanabe, in being a strong input for Metroid Prime 4, hopefully comes back strong in delivering the new Prime with its new development team after all the ire towards Federation Force, which I feel is a worse entry than OM. I also hope that this new development team for Prime 4 is as talented as Mercury Steam has been for Metroid: Samus Returns and 2D Metroid. They took what I felt was the worst Metroid game and turned it into one of the best using the same basis.

Where do I rank Metroid: Samus Returns right now? It's between Metroid Prime Hunters and Super Metroid as my second favorite entry in the series. I think it is the best 2D Metroid game, beating out Super Metroid with its level of atmosphere, immersion and empowerment. It'll be difficult for any game to top MPH just due to level of experience and how personal the game is for me with that experience. I mentioned already about the simple vs. detailed completion screen and what those can lead to for future runs. If there is one thing really going for MSR though, even against MPH, I do have a stronger desire right now to draw fan art related to this game specifically. Whether that materializes into any drawing, I'm not sure, but the thought is there.

1 hour ago, IU said:

I ended up getting 100% yesterday in the game. Metroid: Samus Returns is now in the same club as Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Other M, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Of the five, MSR had the most satisfying feel for 100%, as with its navigational tools, like the Scan Pulse and map markers, I wasn't pulling myself away from the game to look at a guide except to find one expansion in Area 4 and to learn about the Spider Spark. I find it one of the more immersive Metroid experiences to date as a result and thanks to the mechanics the player has access to in getting all areas cleared out. Already mentioned the Scan Pulse and map markers, but I really love the teleporter system in place as well.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it doesn't display the completion % on the completion screen. Even though I feel that the 100% in MSR is the most satisfying I've done, the game disappointed me a little by not acknowledging that achievement with a simple record. It is a step down from the completion screen in Samus's last outing on a handheld, which recorded completion %, time, hunter battles, final boss time and death count. Having more records opens up the door to more experimentation going forward as well, rather than just working my way toward and through faster times and harder difficulties. I think a no death run, for instance, would be interesting for MSR if there was a way to track that stat. It's a little thing that I feel could have made an already special game even better.

When going back for all expansions, I decided to play those sessions on my New 3DS XL with the 3D effect on. I rarely ever use the 3D function, and I did not use it when I initially ran through the game. It may be hard for me to go back to no 3D completely after taking in the true scope of SR388's varied subterranean worlds. I felt that Metroid: Samus Returns already was at the standards of most of the Prime Series in terms of environmental detail and atmosphere without the 3D effect on, so I was really impressed and taken away by how stunning the depth was for each region. I've said this before, I think last year's AM2R was the "Zero Mission" treatment of Metroid II. Samus Returns reimagined Metroid II much further and I think it has laid down the foundation for a much more evolved form of 2D Metroid going forward.

My expectations for Metroid Prime 4 are much higher now after 100% completion for this game. Yoshio Sakamoto was crucified over Other M and then the next Metroid game he's associated with brings 2D Metroid roaring back. The game raises the standard in my opinion. Kensuke Tanabe, in being a strong input for Metroid Prime 4, hopefully comes back strong in delivering the new Prime with its new development team after all the ire towards Federation Force, which I feel is a worse entry than OM. I also hope that this new development team for Prime 4 is as talented as Mercury Steam has been for Metroid: Samus Returns and 2D Metroid. They took what I felt was the worst Metroid game and turned it into one of the best using the same basis.

Where do I rank Metroid: Samus Returns right now? It's between Metroid Prime Hunters and Super Metroid as my second favorite entry in the series. I think it is the best 2D Metroid game, beating out Super Metroid with its level of atmosphere, immersion and empowerment. It'll be difficult for any game to top MPH just due to level of experience and how personal the game is for me with that experience. I mentioned already about the simple vs. detailed completion screen and what those can lead to for future runs. If there is one thing really going for MSR though, even against MPH, I do have a stronger desire right now to draw fan art related to this game specifically. Whether that materializes into any drawing, I'm not sure, but the thought is there.

Been at 100% on Hard mode for awhile; was gonna start my first any % speedrun attempt to shoot for the shortest possible time, but kinda been putting it off for the moment. MSR is easily among my top three alongside Super and Fusion out of the 2D's, or to be more specific, on par with Super Metroid while above Fusion, out of my top 2D's. My favorites out of the Prime's I prefer to have as a separate category now rather than directly compare or rank the 2D's with the 3D's, with how different they are.

Yeah, MSR is probably the most satisfying to 100% because of the tools that make it not only possible but more tolerable, but how the game downplays your accomplishment of 100% by not showing it on the completion screen and lack of such records aside from time is equally uncool. I too had to search somewhere online what was up with some of the items and learn about the Spider Spark to get them. :\ Aside from getting 100%, I think that new technique may be essential at times for speedruns due to the lack of Speedbooster/Shinespark, and thus should be handy for getting around certain spots faster than you normally would.

I also noticed how the game takes better advantage of the 3D than most 3DS games, so am leaning toward using the 3D more in future runs, despite the faster drain it'll have on the battery. It's apples and oranges between AM2R and MSR, but yeah.

Apart from what I mentioned before about MSR helping paint a better impression for MercurySteam after their mixed take on Castlevania, this game was also vindication for Sakamoto whose taken so much shit in the past 7 years but is now the first man to help wash away Other M's taste from the mouths of series veterans (even that game I still like to a certain degree, even if not as much as I did initially). The Sakamoto hate boner will always be there for some, as I've unfortunately still seen, but it is still good to see more and more fans have rekindled their peace with the guy.

Tanabe, I'm still iffy on after Federation Force, but with Prime 4 I hope to have that same rekindling regarding my views on him. I second those other hopes as well, not that I have any doubts on the new dev team.