Metroid: Samus Returns

Chrom

5 hours ago, IU said:

I got the game earlier today and just got through ordering the Special Edition (NA) off of Amazon. The 2-pack amiibo pricing is absurd right now, so I'll wait for a restock. They are going for as much as the special edition for the game.

The fusion mode and extras galleries being locked behind Amiibo really leave a bad taste in my mouth. Amiibo should not just be on cartridge DLC that requires a physical object to unlock. Especially with how bad people have scalped them in the past, Nintendo should know better but I guess they just don't care. 

Other than that though already enjoying the heck out of the game itself. Maybe it's because it's been awhile since I played a 2D Metroid but I'm not even minding the controls at all. 

Edited by Igneous42
13 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Having grown up with Fusion and Zero Mission, these controls are going to take some getting used to...

I keep activating Scan Pulse when I want to jump, jumping when I want to shoot, and activating free-aim when I want to point diagonally.

I had similar problems, but am getting used to it.

I mostly kept getting shoot/melee confused and missiles/free-aim confused.  Scan pulse I have mostly got under control now.

I think if they had put Aeion abilities to Y, fire to B and jump to A that the game would have been easier for me to get into initially. There was a Gamma Metroid encounter where I kept mixing up my Y and B buttons when I had gone into the counter sequence. I was losing my mind a little. :D Beyond that, I'll just say that my experience so far has been pretty damn good. I put in a little more than 7 hours yesterday and have around 15 Metroids left. 

An hour or so in and not feeling it. Music is godlike and movement feels pretty solid, but the parry system is starting to get annoying given how tight spaces are and the metroid mini boss fights have been a fucking snooze fest every single time. Can't wait for some variety.

also the sound effects are annoying af lol

I'm amazed w/ myself being able to adapt to different controls w/o too much trouble as I think I have the controls set similar when I play Super Metroid. One time something weird happened and it seemed like somehow I locked missiles to on. My plan to not use amiibo ended when I scanned my ZSS and Smash Samus for the extra tanks which the energy tank has saved me in a couple Metroid battles. Trying to get the last one in Area 3 but having trouble w/ what I have to do.

So far I find it's pretty good, about how you'd expect. Not sure yet how replayable MSR will be for like speedrunning and such though, as it seems like quite a grind at first... Mostly due to the lack of variety in fights compared to other games in the series as pointed out, but that was a thing with the original Metroid II, so I feel I can't fault MSR for that, being a faithful reimagining.

I don't know, maybe when I become more a natural at it after the initial playthrough I'll see it in a different light. Played for a good chunk of yesterday but got burned out by the time I was in the midst of exploring Area 3 last night. Did plenty backtracking in between (which is to be expected of Metroid) when I was still figuring things out, though probably did more than I needed to that early. Will save most of the rest of the backtracking after I get a good bit more of the powerups, and hopefully I'll get the rest of the initial playthrough done sometime today or tomorrow.

Not sure yet where I would rank this among other games in the series, but it's pretty good and up there, even if I don't end up replaying it as much in the long run as Fusion and such. I don't know, will have to see... But yeah, it's still the return to form the series so desperately needed, and not gonna lie, the Aeion abilities have made me picture how remakes of Super and Fusion would be like now, with those awesome new mechanics introduced. :D

I have all but one upgrade currently, and I'm pretty sure I know what it is just based on what unbreakable blocks I've seen while trying for pick ups. I appreciate that the game has a checkpoint system in place as a complementary blanket to the save system, especially after running into Zeta Metroids. I think I'm at around 10 hours playtime right now. I believe I'm below 10 Metroids left as well.

By the way, my little sister was out today and saw one last amiibo set at Target. Now that I've got the amiibo though, I'm not sure if I want to open them. :P 

Edited by IU
1 hour ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Anyone else find it odd missle expansions are 3 instead of 5?  

I think they decided 5 Missiles per expansion was too powerful? Other M was down to 1 per expansion, and now we're at 3 per. I wasn't surprised by it when I collected my first expansion, but I do find it interesting that they've played around with these amounts.

They also matched it up with Federation Force's Missile distribution, so I wonder if 3 per expansion was done for consistency.

@Cryptic

What do you think your last upgrade is? I'm down to my last upgrade, and I'm pretty sure it is the Power Bomb based on some indicators I've seen.

Edited by IU

I've done two backtracking runs now. First time I just wanted to clean up some of the stuff I'd missed, second time I thought I was able to get everything but there's still some nooks and crannies I can't figure out.

6 minutes ago, Cryptic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I already have the Power Bomb, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the last upgrade because I still can't destroy the blue crystals.

Spoiler

Yeah that's where I'm at too. I was really surprised when even Power Bombs didn't destroy those crystals; what in the world SR388 are those things made of?

40 minutes ago, Cryptic said:
  Hide contents

I already have the Power Bomb, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the last upgrade because I still can't destroy the blue crystals.

Spoiler

I guess that would mean another slot becomes available later on? I'm just missing the Power Bomb according to my current status menu. I'm in Area 5 at the moment.

WVW69kpOt4QTV4SzGA

8 hours ago, IU said:

Hide contents

I guess that would mean another slot becomes available later on? I'm just missing the Power Bomb according to my current status menu. I'm in Area 5 at the moment.

WVW69kpOt4QTV4SzGA

Spoiler

Yeah, I was confused about that too.  Could also be...I dunno, maybe the new power up replaces something on there?

It could also be that I'm just stupid and I can destroy the blue crystals now and I just haven't figured out how to do it.  This game can be pretty sneaky sometimes.

OK, I beat the game with 100% completion.  Took 14 hours.

@IU With regard to the power-up thing.

Spoiler

Power bomb is the last proper power-up.  I would recommend, if you are going to 100% the game, to get all of the items you can after getting that.  You will not be able to get everything, specifically the stuff blocked by the blue crystals.  (Although, you can get some stuff that LOOKS like it's guarded by the blue crystals but really isn't...so, at least TRY to get them, but if it's extremely obvious "No, you absolutely have to destroy the crystals to get to it", then move on.  You should be able to 100% a couple of areas once you get the Power Bomb.)

There is a thing you get after that that will help you get the rest of the items.  It is not missable and you WILL know it when you get it.

Edited by Cryptic
3 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

OK, I beat the game with 100% completion.  Took 14 hours.

@IU With regard to the power-up thing.

Reveal hidden contents

Power bomb is the last proper power-up.  I would recommend, if you are going to 100% the game, to get all of the items you can after getting that.  You will not be able to get everything, specifically the stuff blocked by the blue crystals.  (Although, you can get some stuff that LOOKS like it's guarded by the blue crystals but really isn't...so, at least TRY to get them, but if it's extremely obvious "No, you absolutely have to destroy the crystals to get to it", then move on.  You should be able to 100% a couple of areas once you get the Power Bomb.)

There is a thing you get after that that will help you get the rest of the items.  It is not missable and you WILL know it when you get it.

Spoiler

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm not sure yet if I want to go for 100% at the moment for the first run, but I have enjoyed the game enough to want to go for full completion at some point. I'm in Area 7 currently, so I do have the Power Bombs and I'm down to the final 3 Metroids. My guess is that they are 2 Omega Metroids and the Queen. I have a theory about the blue crystals. From what I remember in the ending sequences of Metroid II and even AM2R, the infant Metroid was capable of eating away similar minerals as Samus made her way to her ship. I imagine that the infant Metroid may allow me to acquire the items beyond those blue crystals. Whether that's the case or not, I'll end up finding out soon. My plan is to beat the game tonight.