Metroid: Samus Returns

Chrom

4 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Ok having issues with a certain metroid to kill and not seeing the disconnect to engage something.

Hide contents

How do you get the grapple point to appear in the queens mouth?   I hit with missles, gets to where she lowers head and shoot more missles in ........ but video gets her red thing and im getting nothing?

Spoiler

It only happens in the final phase of the fight. You have to be ready with the counter when she rears back and lunges at you. She'll spend a little while just leering at you with her mouth open, which should be your cue to be ready. When you see the shine, mash X. 

15 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Question:

Hide contents

What is the timing for the counter attack during final stage of Ripley fight?  I know its right after metroid absorbs energy, but not connecting.

Spoiler

He'll raise his claw up, and you'll see a little sparkle for a split second. That's your cue to hit X.

Game Beaten: 

Really liked the spider spark move and most of the aeion abilities.  The slow down could have been used more in the game cause I kept forgetting it was there.  I dont feel they needed that particular final boss, but having more shown of Samus bonding with her bounty helps expand things. I expected more of the parasite x to be in the game.  

Chozo memories were cool to see, especially the final reveal and how it was revealed left an impression to be sure.  Oh well time to use amiibos .

I been playing the shit out of it.   Of course I suck at Metroid titles when I first get them, they take awhile to learn the ins and outs.  I think it is a very solid game overall.  I don't think it is as good as Super Metroid but it is a solid remake of Metroid II.  Still blown that Mercury Steam developed this game and they made all those shitty ass Castlevania games (if you can even call them that).  Really fun title.

As one who liked their Castlevania's, I resent that. D: I mean yeah, they were a departure from the norm for the series, but were perfectly playable I felt once you got accustomed, and really enjoyed the story they had despite being of a different timeline.

That said, having been a fan of MercurySteam since Lords of Shadow, I felt Metroid was in good hands when they took interest in it, despite the skepticism others still had of them, and lo and behold, I was right. They delivered and passed the test in flying colors with MSR.

Nearly finished my first speedrun which I'll do the rest of in a few; am shortly over 3 hours, so I won't get the best Samus ending. :( Learned earlier on though that when you first get to the area or sector that Arachnus is in, you can get to his room early the first thing by bomb jumping from outside to reach it, allowing you to get even past the red spikes that you normally wouldn't be able to get through with the Spider Ball.

And for the Metroid Queen, apparently if you use the Spider Spark to bump into her head while she's covering one of the walls in flames, it'll interrupt her attack, saving some time against her.

For the best (or most fanservicey) endings that require under 3 hours, it looks like there's ones for all the difficulties. For Normal mode, it's Zero Suit Samus, for Hard mode it's Justin Bailey Samus in her green haired glory, and for Fusion mode it looks like the suitless Fusion Samus with the blue top and shorts.

All and all, the game's definitely more speedrunable than I first gave it credit for, tho not as enjoyable to speedrun for me as other games but it's doable. I love it as a game to 100% or play normally, but speedruns, eh... Still seems worth a try here and there until I can get my needed amiibos at least.

edit: Wow I'm a dolt. The best endings for MRS only require under 4 hours, not 3.

Edited by Ridley Prime
On 9/29/2017 at 1:47 AM, Art_de_Cat said:

Question:

Hide contents

What is the timing for the counter attack during final stage of Ripley fight?  I know its right after metroid absorbs energy, but not connecting.

OMG, WTF!?  I didn't even know you could do that!

26 minutes ago, Kezay said:

OMG, WTF!?  I didn't even know you could do that!

I could never get timing down for that counter, so just blasted him with aeion juice and plasma beam.

Which begs question, what is the most powerful weapon?  Plasma, aeion blast, or super missles?  The play throughs I watched just used aeion blasting till plasma beam and never bothered with any missles at all.  Which could cut my play time a ton to not look for those expansions.

Had been taking a break from hard mode cause the battle w/ the Queen was ticking me off but thanks to the spider spark I could negate and shorten some attacks though I am trying for a better time than my first play which was the worst ending and I am almost at 6 hours right now. Need to think how much I can go grab now before final boss so I can still make under 8 hours. Might try for under 4 on normal for next try.

Going back to Super Metroid after beating this, that game did feel dated earlier on...probably up until the Wrecked Ship, Lower Norfair and Maridia, Super's more detailed areas. The level of detail put into the background for Samus Returns isn't given much credit compared to how the older Metroid games look. Having said that, I do still appreciate the freedom present in Super Metroid, especially in terms of item acquisition. I usually go for 5 items early when I'm playing through the game: Super Missiles, Ice Beam, Speed Booster, Wave Beam and Power Bombs. I didn't rethink my ranking of the two games while playing Super Metroid. I think Samus Returns is the better of the two, mainly for what it brings in terms of atmosphere with its detail.

I have yet to go back to Metroid Prime Hunters since getting MSR. I did not feel MSR was that good, but going back to that game will definitely make things concrete. Usually when I go back to Hunters after a new Metroid game, I know early on that I still hold the game higher. May do a run through the campaign within the coming days and do a few bot matches to see where I stand now with the new game completed.