Metroid: Samus Returns

Chrom

2 hours ago, Cryptic said:

OK, I beat the game with 100% completion.  Took 14 hours.

@IU With regard to the power-up thing.

Reveal hidden contents

Power bomb is the last proper power-up.  I would recommend, if you are going to 100% the game, to get all of the items you can after getting that.  You will not be able to get everything, specifically the stuff blocked by the blue crystals.  (Although, you can get some stuff that LOOKS like it's guarded by the blue crystals but really isn't...so, at least TRY to get them, but if it's extremely obvious "No, you absolutely have to destroy the crystals to get to it", then move on.  You should be able to 100% a couple of areas once you get the Power Bomb.)

There is a thing you get after that that will help you get the rest of the items.  It is not missable and you WILL know it when you get it.

Oh, so that is the last power up? Got to the Queen's location but gonna go backtrack city for the collectables before I fight her. Thanks for the heads up, and thank you teleporters.

If Metroid Samus Returns is what to expect from a 2D Metroid experience now, the bar has been raised for Metroid Prime 4 to reinvigorate the Prime Series. I have not beaten the game, but I'm 99% sure that I'm at the final boss. I unfortunately did know of this encounter early on as it was spoiled for me on Instagram. That said, an image of a boss certainly doesn't prepare one for the intensity of such a fight. I've got the final boss's pattern down for the most part; however, I have ended up getting a little unlucky on timing my jumps. @Cryptic Best final boss battle in 2D Metroid by far?

Just now, IU said:
  Hide contents

The battle with that half-cybernetic Ridley for the infant Metroid...Do you think it's the best final boss in 2D Metroid?

Spoiler

OK yeah, that's the final boss.

I would say yeah, it probably is.  I liked it a lot, and the getting to see Samus kick ass and do cool cinematic moves in a good Metroid game, especially on Ridley just felt right.  I liked how Ridley would keep getting back up.  Shows how persistent he is as a character.

The only thing that kinda weirded me out at first is that it gave me that "Suddenly, warping through space and time, King Bowser appears!" vibe.

I beat the game. I'll probably be going back into my file to get it to 100% and hopefully unlock more of the Chozo Memories Gallery. I'll have to try and get Samus out of her armor at some point as well, but I don't think I'll make a serious attempt at that until a few more runs. Overall, I've got to say, this may be the best 2D Metroid game and I think it sets the bar higher for the series going forward into Prime 4. I would certainly love to see another Metroid game out of MercurySteam.

By the end of my collectathon, I was missing just one power bomb expansion. It was somewhere in the Surface region of the planet, but wherever it was I couldn't get to it since getting back to the ship activates the final boss scene, so I just settled for 99%, ending at almost 18 hours.

Started vanilla Hard mode which I'll do at my own leisure. Suppose I'll also try to get Samus out of her armor post-credits via speedrunning on another file at some point after more experience, but apart from that, my impression on this game has skyrocketed from when I first started. Can agree it's up there with Super Metroid as one of the best 2D's, and would also like to see more from Mercury. They've got what it takes.

Oh, Ridley's presence was spoiled for me during the recent Nintendo direct. They showed the part where he pins Samus down with his talon, as you hear the direct narrator saying "Vengeance has a name" and ending it there... Needless to say this caught the attention of many fans, and admittedly it was a smart way to make Ridley fans gravitate toward MSR, even though I was getting the game anyway. And yeah, he had one of the best 2D final boss fights.

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

By the end of my collectathon, I was missing just one power bomb expansion. It was somewhere in the Surface region of the planet, but wherever it was I couldn't get to it since getting back to the ship activates the final boss scene, so I just settled for 99%, ending at almost 18 hours.

I was wondering if this could happen.  It seemed like it could theoretically, but I wasn't sure how large the trigger range was for the ending sequence.

8 minutes ago, Dancing Mog said:

Hard to tell w/ that screen shot. Is there not a door lower on the map on the right side?

The problem is im confined in the area of the screen shot.  The bottom has two gold blocks with blue centers I cant destroy.  I didnt do anything to get into this section, aside from spider rolling, so just perplexed how to get back out.

4 minutes ago, Dancing Mog said:

I just am not able to figure out how you got there in the first place if the blocks below you are unbreakable at the moment since they are screw attack blocks.

Definetly dont have that yet.  I spider rolled up the top part and came down, the section was covered in darkness. When i bombed the top of those blocks it lit up the darkened area.  Sigh i dont want to think where i last saved.

@Dancing Mog

Spoiler

If you successfully counter the Queen, she will be stunned and allow you to grapple her down. From there, you can use the Power Bombs. Remember the encounters from the original and Other M, so that you use the Power Bombs correctly. To counter I typically waited just a hair after that light appears right before she goes into crunch Samus.