Metroid: Samus Returns

Chrom

2 hours ago, IU said:

Going back to Super Metroid after beating this, that game did feel dated earlier on...probably up until the Wrecked Ship, Lower Norfair and Maridia, Super's more detailed areas. The level of detail put into the background for Samus Returns isn't given much credit compared to how the older Metroid games look. Having said that, I do still appreciate the freedom present in Super Metroid, especially in terms of item acquisition. I usually go for 5 items early when I'm playing through the game: Super Missiles, Ice Beam, Speed Booster, Wave Beam and Power Bombs. I didn't rethink my ranking of the two games while playing Super Metroid. I think Samus Returns is the better of the two, mainly for what it brings in terms of atmosphere with its detail.

I have yet to go back to Metroid Prime Hunters since getting MSR. I did not feel MSR was that good, but going back to that game will definitely make things concrete. Usually when I go back to Hunters after a new Metroid game, I know early on that I still hold the game higher. May do a run through the campaign within the coming days and do a few bot matches to see where I stand now with the new game completed.

Even before MSR I found Super to be dated in some areas, tho with the parts that matter most it still holds up. Mechanically, the only thing I feel that's really aged is how many times you have to press a button to switch to like the Grapple Beam or Power Bombs. MSR spoils you in comparison when you can change to like the Grapple Beam with the press of a touch pad. The background detail for MSR is just one of those qualities that goes without saying, but my liking for it has gone up the more I've replayed the game.

It seems to be a test of time kind of thing as to whether my ranking order for Metroid changes any. If my mind's made up on how much I like a new game compared to others in the series, then going back to older entries usually doesn't change that. That said, whenever I go back to my previous established fan favorites (Metroid Prime and such), it's generally just to experience them again, not so much to compare to whatever new game is out, but that's just me.

Edited by Ridley Prime
  • 1 month later...

@Carl321Since I saw you started posting some again, did you ever get around to playing this, out of curiosity? I know you said a couple times before that you weren't gonna start MSR until you finished Monster Hunter or something, but since you're the only Metroid veteran I remember from around here who still hasn't talked about the game itself any, was kinda curious as to what your opinion on it was.

7 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

@Carl321Since I saw you started posting some again, did you ever get around to playing this, out of curiosity? I know you said a couple times before that you weren't gonna start MSR until you finished Monster Hunter or something, but since you're the only Metroid veteran I remember from around here who still hasn't talked about the game itself any, was kinda curious as to what your opinion on it was.

Did I stop posting? Gosh I've been so sucked into D2 that I didn't realize I was neglecting this place.

I've played so far as to get down to 4 remaining Metroids. I'm loving the visuals and this is the first time I've found myself playing a 3DS game entirely in 3D. Music is great and I love the throwbacks to themes like Magmoor. It's definitely way up there in my favorite 2D Metroid and would love Super to get this treatment. It's definitely a bit harder than most Nintendo games I've played lately, but it's also pretty refreshing.

Edited by Carl321

I played a bit of the game yesterday. After doing around 5 runs in Metroid Prime Hunters and playing through Super Mario Odyssey, the new game excitement has worn off for Samus Returns and there are a couple issues that have begun to bug me. I suppose the worst issue I have with the game is a universal issue I have with non-Prime Series entries, and that's the knockback Samus is receiving from contact with damage. I have always felt that it is too much and have felt that some enemies should not be damaging Samus at all by contact. In Samus Returns, with a mechanic that promotes vicious contact with enemies to stun them for a kill shot, the existence of contact damage shouldn't be in at all in my opinion. I won't say that contact damage even with the presence of the melee counter takes me out of the game's world completely, but again, it bugged me in my last session and I feel it doesn't coexist well with the game's combat system.

The second annoyance I'm having with the game now is trying to lock-on to grapple points using the game's free aiming. It feels more imprecise than had the game went with preset angles that were in previous 2D Metroid games for aiming. I don't know if this can be remedied by selecting the Grapple Beam on my touch screen before I start swinging as opposed to just relying on that free aim switch...I'll try it out in my next sitting. I do still feel though that presets may have benefitted the game, functioning as a complement to the free aim.

Edited by IU

I managed to get best ending on my second run of normal mode at 3:57. Now to get similar times on hard and fusion difficulties, wanted to get a picture of the top screen showing ZSS and the time but oh well. Fusion mode might be hardest for me I only need to be going for Energy tanks and only the missile tanks that are in a direct path to my next objective. What I need is to print a map of the areas big enough that I can make notes of my own and plot my path so I don't have to stop so much and look at the saved map on my PC.

• 3 weeks later...

It's good that Samus Returns got the award. For me, its only competition is Hey! Pikmin, which I did like but haven't played much of since beating the game. I think the only thing left I really have to do there is to do perfect runs in each stage where I lose no Pikmin. In comparison, I still have the best endings to get in Normal, Hard and Fusion difficulty for MSR, as well as the continual challenge of just simply improving run times. It does have a ridiculous design within its interactions, where as I felt Hey! Pikmin was clean in terms of design. The more I play, the more I dislike the inclusion of contact damage (beyond missing a counter on/being hit by an enemy attack) in an entry which promotes making contact through its melee combat. Even with that, I would still say Metroid Samus Returns is my handheld game of the year.

3 hours ago, IU said:

It's good that Samus Returns got the award. For me, its only competition is Hey! Pikmin, which I did like but haven't played much of since beating the game. I think the only thing left I really have to do there is to do perfect runs in each stage where I lose no Pikmin. In comparison, I still have the best endings to get in Normal, Hard and Fusion difficulty for MSR, as well as the continual challenge of just simply improving run times. It does have a ridiculous design within its interactions, where as I felt Hey! Pikmin was clean in terms of design. The more I play, the more I dislike the inclusion of contact damage (beyond missing a counter on/being hit by an enemy attack) in an entry which promotes making contact through its melee combat. Even with that, I would still say Metroid Samus Returns is my handheld game of the year.

Man, I tried to give the Hey! Pikmin demo a shot, but god damn I was bored.  Maybe I'll check out the full game when it pulls a Code Name: Steam and sells for literally $3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for kinda post flooding here, but finally found and got me MSR Samus and Metroid amiibos at a store, they were the last ones too! Downside is I’ll need an about just as scarce NFC reader for the amiibos to read on my original 3DS since I was cheap as to never upgrade to a N3DS or anything, as I was still content with the vanilla version.

On the bright side, did end up getting this for a bit off.

D1EE1160-FB33-43FB-B79F-F82078887031.jpeg

Edited by Ridley Prime

I got this game for a Xmas and I'm really enjoying it. There's some great QoL additions that the Game Boy version (My first Metroid game, BTW) could have really used, like for one thing, the map. I'm currently in Area 4 with 3 Metroids defeated and was wondering about the reserve tanks that the SSB Samus/ZSS amiibo unlock. I want to scan one of them to unlock the extra gallery features, but I do not want/feel the need for having reserve tanks. If I scan one of the amiibo now, is there any way to not have to use the reserve tanks? I don't mind if they're there, but I don't want to ever use them. If not, would it be better to just wait until I beat the game to scan one of the amiibo?

Edited by alienboyva