Route 30 - N4A Chat Thread - September 2017

Youngster Joey

53 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Heading back to New Zealand tomorrow. Picked up some stuff out of storage today too. Anyone know how much the ZREO Twilight Symphony CDs are worth these days? Not seeing any listings on eBay or Amazon. Probably won't sell them, but they seem to be rare now.

IMG_20170919_133427.jpg

There is one available on Discogs. USD$130 for a near-mint, unsealed copy.

It may seem like an anti-sale, until one realises that only 1000 copies were ever printed. You and I are both fortunate to own our own--still sealed, no less. I was offered a lossless digital download during the release. Unfortunately, the host for said download has shut down since then, making the physical release the only way to get it lossless as of now. The Zelda Reorchestrated mirror only has it offered in MP3 and OGG.

Just...so you know before you decide to sell it.

Edited by Schmengland
10 hours ago, Schmengland said:

Me too; mine were just lost in a hard disk failure about two or so years ago. I didn't know then what I know now about RAID 0. :(

I don't suppose you have a way to share yours? Bundle Dragon has become dormant, and Loudr didn't inherent any of their content.

I'd gladly share mine, especially since the mirror is down. Remind me in a day or two in case I forget during the flight. :)

It's incredible how unpleasant some hospital staff are. Like, I get that you're around sick and injured people all the time and that has to have an effect on your mood / mentality, but holy fuck have some compassion and consideration for those you're treating. This may be a job, but if you're not at least putting some sense of the desire to help into it, gfy.

6 hours ago, Weaver said:

It's incredible how unpleasant some hospital staff are. Like, I get that you're around sick and injured people all the time and that has to have an effect on your mood / mentality, but holy fuck have some compassion and consideration for those you're treating. This may be a job, but if you're not at least putting some sense of the desire to help into it, gfy.

Remember that the worst day of a patient's life is probably just Tuesday to hospital staff.  It's a lot to ask in a profession to keep empathy levels at a constant warmness and get attached to people who can potentially die without feeling some disconnect after a while.  They're there to keep you alive, not treat you like a human being.  If they treated every patient like a human being, the suicide rates in the profession would be higher than they already are.

A wobbling mess of a human being with crippling anxiety who can't even afford to constantly show empathy working in a fast food joint or at retail might still be that same person who's working towards a medical degree and will not suddenly stop having that problem.

I get the frustration and dislike the sterile coldness of hospitals myself, but as a college dropout who was going to be a therapist, I understand the necessity of emotional distance to keep from killing yourself.

18 minutes ago, ___ said:

Remember that the worst day of a patient's life is probably just Tuesday to hospital staff.  It's a lot to ask in a profession to keep empathy levels at a constant warmness and get attached to people who can potentially die without feeling some disconnect after a while.  They're there to keep you alive, not treat you like a human being.  If they treated every patient like a human being, the suicide rates in the profession would be higher than they already are.

A wobbling mess of a human being with crippling anxiety who can't even afford to constantly show empathy working in a fast food joint or at retail might still be that same person who's working towards a medical degree and will not suddenly stop having that problem.

I get the frustration and dislike the sterile coldness of hospitals myself, but as a college dropout who was going to be a therapist, I understand the necessity of emotional distance to keep from killing yourself.

I always love it when you show your moments of brilliance. Great points all around - thanks for sharing, dude.

This comes from a place of understanding because I couldn't cut it working in a therapy or hospital setting, I gave up.  I have TOO much empathy for that sort of job that I'd tear myself up too much over losing or failing patients.  It seems like the antithesis to the job but you have to avoid caring too much about people in that line of work because it's going to hurt the Hell out of you unless you have some serious emotional resilience.  But I understand how jarring or discomforting hospitals can be because of the lack of warmth.  It's a necessary evil to work in that sort of place.

My step-mom works as a Dialysis Technician and I have no idea how somebody could do a job like that.

Edited by ___

'hey sarah, did you know they say if you sit at a computer for a long time every day, you start to lose your sense of color for the outside world?' *knowing look*

hey old lady, did you know that that's bullshit and i didn't ask for your input on my life and choices because i don't know you and subsequently do not give a shit about your opinions