Route 30 - N4A Chat Thread - September 2017

Youngster Joey

5 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

We're the opposite on this front, though I wouldn't say I "couldn't stand" The Force Awakens. It's more that it lacked originality, good pacing, and a sensible backstory. Still a good film--it's just not the triumphant return, as heralded. I don't like J.J. Abrams' style in the context of Star Wars.

Ah. I'd say the same about Rogue One. It was the first time I ever turned a Star Wars movie off. Just couldn't get into it.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Ah. I'd say the same about Rogue One. It was the first time I ever turned a Star Wars movie off. Just couldn't get into it.

I loved it for being a military story that had the balls to turn down the Jedi mysticism for a bit so we could get an actual sense of how the rebels really fucking struggled to get those plans and, by extension, get their rebellion moving. Hamletting the entire cast was basically the perfect ending to such a story, and the little tidbits of fanservice they included throughout had charm without undermining the uniqueness of said story. The Knights of the Old Republic fan in me was particularly excited by the Hammerhead corvettes. Also, Darth Vader was legitimately fucking scary.

One of the best Star Wars films I've seen, I'd reckon.

11 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

I loved it for being a military story that had the balls to turn down the Jedi mysticism for a bit so we could get an actual sense of how the rebels really fucking struggled to get those plans and, by extension, get their rebellion moving. Hamletting the entire cast was basically the perfect ending to such a story, and the little tidbits of fanservice they included throughout had charm without undermining the uniqueness of said story. The Knights of the Old Republic fan in me was particularly excited by the Hammerhead corvettes. Also, Darth Vader was legitimately fucking scary.

One of the best Star Wars films I've seen, I'd reckon.

Eh. I couldn't make it past 20-30 minutes in for what it's worth. Just too much of a space opera for me. I could see what you meant about the rebels struggling, but I honestly got bored.

Speaking of Rogue One, was anyone else taken out of the action a bit whenever CGI Tarkin appeared on screen?  I mean, it wasn't that bad, but I felt his face was just too obviously CGI compared to everyone around him.