Rumor: Mother 3 localization not happening & Rhythm Heaven series is Dead

https://www.destructoid.com/opinion-rhythm-heaven-series-is-dead-mother-3-will-never-be-localized-455290.phtml

"You never know what's going to happen, but the way it looks right now, under Nintendo's current administration, Mother 3 will never leave Japan and there will never be another Rhythm Heaven game. Iwata was a driving force behind the Rhythm Heaven series, and a consistent advocate for NoA to at least look at the possibility of Mother 3 finding a new audience in the United States and Europe. With him gone, there is no one at Nintendo pushing for either anymore."

"The core team behind the Rhythm Heaven series has more or less disbanded, and the last time anyone at NoA considered translating Mother 3, they shelved the game as soon as they got to the Magypsies. That was a while ago now, and if anything, management has gotten even less adventurous since then. Depicting Trans characters in a way that would likely insult both the political Left and the Right in the U.S., is the last kind of attention that Nintendo wants for themselves in 2017. They want nothing to do with those kinds of headlines and potential protests."

There were several rumors about an official localization of Mother 3 happening (via Emily Rogers and Eurogamer amongst others), but seems that it's over... The fanpatch is still fantastic at least.
Big shame for Rhythm Heaven if true too.

nintendo.gif

The possibility of no more Rhythm Heaven? OMG! MY HEART!

Image result for rhythm heaven megamix blue bear

Yeah, if you couldn't tell from my sig, I absolutely love Rhythm Heaven. :P 

3 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

Yeah, it was a last hurrah w/ Rhythm Heaven Megamix releasing digital only for NA though I am at least happy we got the DS and Wii entries

Given how well there series has done in JPN, I think it would be pretty stupid for it to completely go away. With Mega Mix being a celebration of the series and all, I just see it going away for a while. Also, I'm not sure if this has anything with the series ending, but I heard JPN music producer/singer Tsunku (Rhythm Heraven series producer) had to have his vocal cords removed do to a disease.

Edited by alienboyva
2 hours ago, ___ said:

Even with the bizarre events about Mother 1, expecting a localization of an 11-year old GBA game seems absolutely ridiculous when a lot of people who want it have already played the translation at this point.

Not that I've ever expected it but I would still like to get an official localization of Mother 3 in some form on a current Nintendo system, just to actually own the game in a form I can play it. I do have fan translated roms of all 3 games that I haven't played and also have Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound on Wii U VC that I haven't played. So I'm not in a rush for it but I'd like for it to happen. Maybe it still will since it seemed like we were never supposed to get Mother or Earthbound on VC prior to Wii U and that would be nice but I won't hold my breath.

Rhythm Heaven has sold well as series (The Best + (Megamix outside Japan) alone sold over 650K in Japan), so it seems weird (and highly unlikely) for them to indefinitely freeze a series that has sold reasonably well for them throughout the years.

And weren't the """""rumors""""" claiming that NOE was going to be behind the supposed localization for Mother 3 and not NOA; so which rumors are right then. Not to mention that as of late, some NOA figureheads (Reggie and Damon Baker) have been talking/teasing about it (Reggie talks about like every year now at this point though). This whole article/rumor seems suspect.

Edited by Isotope

You bring up some good points since Rhythm Heaven is quite popular in Japan and has a good fan base outside Japan also. I doubt I will ever have perfects on all songs in any of the ones I have since some have such small windows for getting perfects and I am happy that I am not OCD or it would drive me insane. I actually got a family member hooked on the series, giving it to him as a Christmas gift back in 2012 I believe. I gave him the funds for Megamix for his 3DS but he put it on his N3DSXL that only works randomly but luckily he and I have been able to play the multiplayer mode off my game which is good cause he is just as good if not better than me w/ some games.

Considering the fact that Nintendo never confirmed that they were working on localizing Mother 3 and haven't announced any Rhythm Heaven game in the works this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Though I admit I'd like to see Mother 3 localized and don't really care for the Rhythm Heaven games.

That was a while ago now, and if anything, management has gotten even less adventurous since then. Depicting Trans characters in a way that would likely insult both the political Left and the Right in the U.S., is the last kind of attention that Nintendo wants for themselves in 2017. They want nothing to do with those kinds of headlines and potential protests."

What is this coming from?

I didn't hear any complaints about Forrest from Fire Emblem Fates. They did have an abusive father, but then again a lot of the fathers in Fates are weirdly abusive. Not much fuss about Fire Emblem's openly gay characters either, which also include Ike, Soren, Raven and Lucius from years ago.

No one's really complaining about or offended by any of this stuff, except for organizations like One Million Moms that rage about damn near everything. Nintendo's "playing it safe" in recently years has been in the form of bland games like Sticker Star.

Edited by Destiny Hero
2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

What is this coming from?

I didn't hear any complaints about Forrest from Fire Emblem Fates. They did have an abusive father, but then again a lot of the fathers in Fates are weirdly abusive. Not much fuss about Fire Emblem's openly gay characters either, which also include Ike, Soren, Raven and Lucius from years ago.

Fates fans weren't bitching about Forrest because they were too busy bitching about Soleil.

Also, Ike, Soren, Raven, and Lucius are not "openly gay", despite all the rumours and shipping and fan theories. I personally love Raven/Lucius as a couple, but that doesn't mean it's open or official in any way. Heather and Leon are both gay, though, and of course Niles and Rhajat being obviously bi-sexual. There may be a couple others as well that I'm forgetting.

>complains about ike not being openly gay

>priam exists and is a descendant of ike

uhhhh

Also Nintendo--let alone a lot of Japanese developers--are NOT people I would look towards for having realistic or even tasteful portrayals of gender or sexual tropes.  It'd be nice to expect better, but that shit's volatile enough to scare off Nintendo.  Shipping culture is fucking cancer anyway.

19 hours ago, Sonya said:

Fates fans weren't bitching about Forrest because they were too busy bitching about Soleil.

Also, Ike, Soren, Raven, and Lucius are not "openly gay", despite all the rumours and shipping and fan theories. I personally love Raven/Lucius as a couple, but that doesn't mean it's open or official in any way. Heather and Leon are both gay, though, and of course Niles and Rhajat being obviously bi-sexual. There may be a couple others as well that I'm forgetting.

Maybe not quite "openly", but you'd have to be in serious denial to think it's down to fan theories.

Spoiler

From Raven and Lucius's S support

Raven: Except, I want you to stay home.
Lucius: What!? You are too cruel! Why!?
Raven: I want someone to go home to, you see. So go back, and wait.
Lucius: Why don’t you marry! Then there would be someone at home... And I could journey with you!
Raven: I need no bride to jabber at me—There’s enough going on around here already!
Lucius: W-What is that supposed to mean!?
Raven: My case in point.
Lucius: Wait—Wait! Lord Raymond!

As for Ike and Soren, this sums it up quite well: https://lgbtqgamearchive.com/2016/09/05/ike-and-soren-in-fire-emblem-path-of-radiance/

18 hours ago, ___ said:

>complains about ike not being openly gay

>priam exists and is a descendant of ike

uhhhh

Also Nintendo--let alone a lot of Japanese developers--are NOT people I would look towards for having realistic or even tasteful portrayals of gender or sexual tropes.  It'd be nice to expect better, but that shit's volatile enough to scare off Nintendo.  Shipping culture is fucking cancer anyway.

Gay people can have kids. We just don't. We're trying to set an example.

Anywho, I do think Nintendo could pull off good portrayals, at least in localizations. Their localization teams have had some spot-on writing these days, even if the LGBT characters have been overblown (Niles and Tharja/Rhajat essentially being freaks, Leon substituting all punctuation marks in his speech with Valbar's name, etc). But that could be fixed by the writing teams in Japan consulting some less sexually repressed cultures during design phases.

• Chrom featured this topic
On 8/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, Schmengland said:

Erm. Never played Mother 3 and am just looking for context: Are there LGBT+ characters in the game? If so, how are they depicted as-is?

There's a group of human-like ancient "magypsies" that are genderqueer.
They're kinda designed visually like bad drag stereotypes but they're wonderful tragic characters.
Essentially the whole game is meant to be full of unlikely heroes, like an aging thief with a bum leg and bad breath, and your timid, crybaby main character.

Edited by Pichi