Nintendo Switch... warping issues?

Dang that's insane. Could it be venting issues with it? Which would be ironic, since I never ran into that problem with the Wii or Wii U. If it's the case then they've taken some huge steps back. Only issues I ran into with them are fan ones, and ones that are fixable without having to send the system in for repair and/or replacement.

Exactly. But playing devil's advocate, maybe they did, but some of the defective models still got out.

It doesn't excuse it though.

Going off the comments, it seems as if Nintendo wants people to send the systems in.

But if it's a bad system design flaw, then wouldn't it have to be redone completely?

Edited by Doc Brown
7 hours ago, DivineTrinity said:

If you use physics, the melting point in plastic or even the metal they have inside the system is too high that even before the system could even reached that point the system would turn itself off. It could be a hardware defect and people are only just looking at their Switches now.

Jet fuel can't melt steel consoles

1 hour ago, Reilly said:

It doesn't need to reach the melting point to bend, though. Some plastics can warp from being left in the sun for too long, and metal expands and contracts slightly with changes in the weather.

The article mention it was dock play so I pretty much said it was impossible for that to happen. The switch turns itself off at 67c (152 F) I pretty much play exclusively on the dock and nothing hasn't happen yet. Though if they are leaving it in the sun as you say then that's their own fault. Nothing should be sitting unattended in your car or in the sun from phones to any type of electronics. I get warnings on my videogames to not even leave CDs/BDs in the car or out in the sun. I pray people aren't doing that.

Yes some plastics can warp at different temps but the majority of all electronics used ABS that can handle temps of 102c (215 F) before it gets soft.  This is an assumption since the ones that do use ABS have been know to be cheap. Though even if I look at the lowest plastic PVC it can handle up to 90c (194 F) Either way these both are past the Switch's shut off point. I feel you are going to have to set your Switch on fire in order to get anything out of the plastic. Though the metal shielding can be the possibility since I don't know the material it could be made out of. They could have been cheap and went with some low type of aluminum.

It should also be noted, that when you leave something in direct sunlight, especially plastics, it's not just heat the item has to contend with, but solar radiation. Which wreaks havoc on plastics. Case in point, I had forgotten about a DVD case I left in a window for roughly a year, that received direct sunlight most of the day. By the time I discovered it, had been bleached, and become as brittle as a cracker. It literally crumpled to pieces in my hands.

Edited by Marxforever