EA support for Switch depends on FIFA 18 sales

1 minute ago, Destiny Hero said:

Reminds me of Mass Effect on the Wii U. "If nobody buys our shittiest products, then clearly they don't want the decent ones."

I really hope Bethesda isn't using Skyrim like this.

Though it's "If nobody buys are 23 year-old, 5x ported game, then we won't support this going forward"

26 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I really hope Bethesda isn't using Skyrim like this.

Though it's "If nobody buys are 23 year-old, 5x ported game, then we won't support this going forward"

To Bethesda's credit, it does look like they are putting in genuine effort to make Skyrim's Switch port fresh. They're actually taking advantage of what makes the Switch unique to provide a new gameplay experience.

“But at the same time we have to look at it from a resource standpoint and, at some point, the numbers become a factor. So for us it’s about supporting the platform, building technology for the platform, testing it out with big things like FIFA – and maybe a couple of others, we’ll see – and if they go well, I see no reason why we shouldn’t have as much of our portfolio on that platform as possible. I hope we get there, that would be my personal ambition.”

Not solely based on FIFA but....

I would assume that the general development house would have the thought of if I strip stuff out of my game and charge full price and wonder why it doesn't sell then they already answered their question as I I would assume they'd know the discerning customer would know that as well.

14 hours ago, Schmengland said:

Is the Switch really a good test bed for a sports game?

There's no reason why sports games shouldn't be on it. Given the kind of attention and TLC that they give other platforms, while I doubt the Nintendo iteration of these games will sell on par with the competition they could certainly stand to be a lot more successful than some would believe and actually build a base that's more attractive to those games.  Once upon a time EA's sports games did well on Nintendo platforms and even on Wii they found some success until sort of self sabotaged themselves with odd additions/changes.  The problem here though would be EA relying on a sports game as a test bed for future support, although PB pointed out it isn't just Fifa but then what else do they have?

15 hours ago, Schmengland said:

Is the Switch really a good test bed for a sports game?

Tough call....

With the same experience at home while on the go and at a sufficient standard then why wouldn't it be a good test ground for a console game?  I mean, you would have to do console and a portable version...just make one!

Depending on the sport and the control scheme...instant at minimum 2p anywhere play could be  a great way to expand the market on sports game du jour.

...at least when Capcom made Ultra Street Fighter II, they went through the effort of making new HD assets that stayed through the original graphics. (though the news of it being a test game is debatable) But FIFA as the test game? Sure, I heard that's a big franchise (at least in Europe, I think). Not Madden? (Would've preferred a Need for Speed port. Or even the original Mass Effect Trilogy.)

Edited by avalonknight
  • Chrom featured this topic