Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Details on scope of soundtrack for a massive game

GN - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 composer shares a detailed look at the immense scope of the project

Mitsuda who is composing the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has been doing updates on his team's progress for a while now right on up to wrapping up recording not too long ago.  If Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X were anything to go by it could be rightly assumed that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be a massive game full of content as well.  However,  just getting an idea of the work going into the game's soundtrack might lend some idea to just how big it might be.  Check out the following:

The following info comes from composer Yasunori Mitsuda:

- the game's final mix was completed on August 1st
- the project is 1 terabyte of Pro Tools data alone
- Mitsuda has never exceeded 500 gigabytes before
- over 300 musicians were involved, using over 20,000 music manuscript papers
- Mitsuda thinks he might not get to do a project surpassing this one in his lifetime
- the creation of the music was challenging due to the workload involved
- finishing the project might have been impossible without using Sibelius (music creation program)
- mixing and production was done at Tokyo-based Procyon Studio in Suginami Ward, which is Yasunori Mitsuda’s own studio

Have to admit it's interesting to see them put a lot of effort into the game's soundtrack. Hopefully it pays off and the game itself delivers. I really loved the first Xenoblade but Xenoblade X didn't click with me as well, so I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic that Xenoblade 2 will still be awesome.

I also loved Xenoblade 1, but haven't finished Xenoblade X yet.  I intend to do this before 2 comes out...but it's just...eh.  The world in X is pretty but the characters largely seem far less interesting, especially since the main character is just some shitty useless avatar, unlike Shulk who is an actual character with motivations and whatnot.

That said, it seems like 2 is aligning with 1 a bit more closely, so hopefully it's more my style.

14 hours ago, Cryptic said:

I also loved Xenoblade 1, but haven't finished Xenoblade X yet.  I intend to do this before 2 comes out...but it's just...eh.  The world in X is pretty but the characters largely seem far less interesting, especially since the main character is just some shitty useless avatar, unlike Shulk who is an actual character with motivations and whatnot.

That said, it seems like 2 is aligning with 1 a bit more closely, so hopefully it's more my style.

I enjoyed XCX for what it was but it makes me wonder what kind of game it would have been if they stuck with the original idea of focusing on characters and story.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:49 AM, Cryptic said:

The characters in XCX are less interesting, and it's a bummer. XCX still has great environments, exploration, and combat, and I enjoyed it and encourage others to give it a go, but XC is overall a better game. Though if XC2 ends up being "only" on the same level of quality as XCX I'll probably still be happy.