Nintendo Download: Flip Over Sonic

Switch_FlipWars_screen_05.jpg?download=1

This week’s Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

• Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
    • Flip Wars – This tense multiplayer action game will have you stomping to flip over panels—and unwitting opponents. To win, flip the most panels to your color in local battles*, online** or single-player. The more you flip, the faster you’ll move in a mad dash to nab power ups. Increase your flip range, turn invincible, and more across three modes and 12 arenas.
    • Sonic Mania – 2D Sonic is back in a new adventure. In a celebration of past and future, play as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as you race through new Zones and fully re-imagined classics, each filled with exciting surprises and powerful bosses. Go head-to-head with players in Competition Mode or play in Co-Op Mode with a friend. Welcome to the next level for the world’s fastest blue hedgehog. Sonic Mania will be available on Aug. 15.
    • Severed – From the creators of the Guacamelee! game and inspired by classic dungeon crawlers, Severed puts players in the role of a one-armed warrior named Sasha who wields a living sword on her journey through a nightmarish world in search of her family.
  • Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
    • MONSTER HUNTER STORIES (Demo Version) – Venture into monster nests to collect eggs and hatch a wide array of species with uniquely powerful skills. Form teams, battle alongside them, crush opponents with combo attacks and ride into the sunset a champion. Need more muscle? Then mix and match genes to create monsters with more abilities.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Activities

• Fire Emblem Heroes – Fans of the mobile game will see a flurry of activity this week.
    • Starter Support Events: Beginner and veteran Summoners alike will have a chance to strengthen their armies. During this event, they can summon five-star versions of four popular Heroes, and enjoy special log-in bonuses.

1. Hero Fest: 12 a.m. PT Aug. 10 to 11:59 p.m. PT Aug. 17 at: Here comes a Starter Support Hero Fest to help out new Summoners. It features some great Heroes at a boosted starting appearance rate of 5 percent.

2. Log-In Bonuses: Now through 11:59 p.m. PT Sept. 10: You can earn up to 60 Orbs! Here’s how:

• Starter Support Log-In Bonus: Receive 20 Orbs if you log-in between now and 11:59 p.m. Aug. 24.
  • Six-Month Anniversary Celebration Log-In Bonus Part 1: Receive 20 Orbs if you log-in now through 11:59 p.m. PT Aug. 21.
  • Six-Month Anniversary Celebration Log-In Bonus Part 2: Receive 20 Orbs if you log-in between 12 a.m. PT Aug. 22 and 11:59 p.m. PT Sept. 10.
  • New features coming to version 1.6.0:
    • New mode: Arena Assault: In this mode, you’ll need to use a different team of Heroes in each map for a real challenge.
    • New feature: Catalog of Heroes: Check out all the Heroes you’ve met so far.
    • Plus, the Max Hero Merit limit has been raised from 2,000 to 3,000+.
  • New updates: Tempest Trials Get Powered Up: The event runs 12 a.m. PT Aug. 11 until 11:59 p.m. PT Aug. 24.
    • Auto-Battle will automatically continue until you clear all maps or your team is defeated.
    • Team Management for Multi-Map Battles: You’ll be able to create up to 10 reserve teams.
    • New Stage with level 10 foes.
    • Score Bonus: Each day, you'll get triple the points the first two times you head into battle.
    • Stat Boost for Bonus Allies: When you use Bonus Allies in Tempest Trials, they’ll get a 10-point boost to HP and a four-point boost to all of their other stats. They also will earn double experience and SP.
  • Celebrate Kirby’s 25th Anniversary with activities throughout August – It’s been 25 years since Kirby debuted in the Kirby’s Dream Land game on the Game Boy system. That’s worth celebrating! You can redeem your points and get these celebratory Kirby 25th Anniversary items:

Also new this week:

*Additional accessories may be required for multiplayer mode. Sold separately.
**Nintendo Account required. Online services and features, including online gameplay, are free until the paid Nintendo Switch Online Service launches in 2018.

I'm gonna have to check out that Monster Hunter Stories demo. I'm almost definitely going to buy the game but it'd be nice to see it first-hand.

I'll plug Severed again; whatever system you prefer to play it on, check it out.

And finally I'm playing Phantom Trigger right now so I'll have a review for that up soon.

I still have MH4U and MHG to play though MH Stories doesn't really sound that interesting to me so likely to pass though I may try the demo. I have Ironcast and Troll and I on my wishlist since they seem interesting enough though I've stated next game is going to be Metroid Samus Returns for me(followed by Pokémon G/S on VC the week after that).

1 hour ago, Juanblue85 said:

Careful just heard that Sonic Mania has been released early in a few stores and so far it seems the Switch version is the one being leaked. There was an Xbox One version that also got leaked but its still locked, Switch on the other hand does not have locks.

Yeah, I saw the story on GoNintendo earlier. I do plan on getting the game on Tuesday so I'll watch out for any of those spoilers.

6 hours ago, Juanblue85 said:

Careful just heard that Sonic Mania has been released early in a few stores and so far it seems the Switch version is the one being leaked. There was an Xbox One version that also got leaked but its still locked, Switch on the other hand does not have locks.

Dang. Thanks for the heads up.

Been trying out Monster Hunter Stories. The story is ok so far, but I'm underwhelmed graphically. Just really poor this go. Characters fade in and out, and you do too if you run into certain areas. Like the other entries better and they seem to be optimized better for the 3ds.

Played some Flip Wars last night.  I like what it can become.  I did try a few online matches and I couldn't tell if I was moving slower than the opponent but I was getting beat pretty badly.

I change my above statement... powerups can up the speed.  Game plays like Othello meets Bomberman.  I really like it... and it is more fun with more that two players.

Playing in portable mode can get busy when 3-4p are on screen at the same time but its doable.  I haven't played on a tv screen yet.

Timing of jumping and landing to knock out opponents is key to success.

Edited by purple_beard