FREE THE NAME CHANGES

Spring

name change shenanigans  

28 members have voted

1. 1. should we be able to change our names freely?

• ye
    • nah

Display name changes do show in your profile with one of the mods that's been installed, so I'm open loosening restrictions. Heck, if everyone continues to be well-behaved, there's not even a need for strict limits.

Fun fact: I haven't seen one reported post since the site started, nor have I had to call anyone out for an avatar or signature, and the only post I've had to remove was an accidental double-post.

Add this to the list of things for me to look at this evening. theydonothing;

Display names can now be changed once a week, down from once a month. Will see how that plays out.

Being able to change display names freely is definitely too open to abuse, even if it likely wouldn't be a problem regardless. Will see how this plays out and tweak things from there.

Also, if we ever have a marketplace set up, it should be possible to have an "item" that would allow you to change your display name. That could be an interesting middle ground for highly active people who may want more changes.

1 hour ago, K said:

I honestly have never seen how infinite name changes could be abused. y; 

And honestly even if it were abused somehow would it not be possible to revoke a specific user's ability to do so?

Gold did a daily name change for a year with accompanying avatar, IIRC. New members probably woulda had a hard time recognizing him, had he not had a unique rank. And it probably wouldn't be too hard to write a script that changed names regularly. One time I actually saw someone manage to get an identical username by copypasting a character from Notepad, though this is probably fixed. While revoking the privilege on a user to user basis is possible, you can still end up in situations where it is hard to tell who is who while users are not actually abusing name changes.

That said, a profile section for a common name that shows up when you hover over the user's name would be my vote. Or market, cause market.

4 hours ago, Neonocyte said:

Gold did a daily name change for a year with accompanying avatar, IIRC. New members probably woulda had a hard time recognizing him, had he not had a unique rank. And it probably wouldn't be too hard to write a script that changed names regularly. One time I actually saw someone manage to get an identical username by copypasting a character from Notepad, though this is probably fixed. While revoking the privilege on a user to user basis is possible, you can still end up in situations where it is hard to tell who is who while users are not actually abusing name changes.

That said, a profile section for a common name that shows up when you hover over the user's name would be my vote. Or market, cause market.

I don't how changing names daily or even multiple times a day is abuse. The other one I could see though.