Fire Emblem Cipher: Series 10

4kvsQLh.png

https://fecipher.jp/

Deliver the justice across the lands of Zenith, Jugdral, and more in the upcoming expansion of Fire Emblem Cipher, the Fire Emblem trading card game!

The Fire Emblem Cipher TCG is a collectible card game based on the Fire Emblem series by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems. Though it has only been available in Japan and there's no word on an official English release, it is regularly updated with new sets and rules which keep it interesting for fans to talk about.

Getting Started

Despite the TCG only being available in Japanese, there are a number of resources made available by fans in English which provide information on what you need to know in order to collect the cards or even how to play the game. The best source, in my opinion, is the wiki guide written here, though you can also refer to the information on the official site linked above, albeit in Japanese.

nK5pBBtl.png

Basically:

• New collectors who want to own specific cards of their favorite characters should get an idea of how much they individually go for at the local retailers and try to buy/trade for them within the second hand market (fellow fans in various communities). This is generally more cost friendly than the easy route of buying them off online retailers like eBay, Amazon, or TCG Republic, so you can get a lot of mileage from doing research and knowing what's out there and at what prices. If you want to import sealed starter decks, boosters, or sleeves, I recommend buying through AmiAmi.
  • New players can try owning any of the available starter decks to help them with learning, which are ready to play and are all suitable for introducing the game. Online simulators with English translations of all the cards are out there too! The one shared on the wiki is pretty popular, although I personally prefer playing with FECipherVit.
  • New sets are released every few months and new promo cards are regularly distributed during the interims through various means (events, magazines, etc.), so there's constantly new stuff to glean over.
  • If you really like the art, know that many illustrators of the card artwork tend to publicly upload the full illustrations via Twitter or Pixiv, usually after the release of a new set. Some might not be available though.

Card Sets

Series 10 will be out on September 21, but there have already been hundreds of different cards released since the TCG started in 2015, with each set focusing on specific groups of Fire Emblem titles.

v7tlcIh.png

For a full list of cards, you can check them out here, or search the wiki.

Series 11, which is confirmed to feature Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, will release later this year.

Basic Rules

In Fire Emblem Cipher, two players wage battle against each other using their army of characters, with the ultimate goal of claiming victory by defeating the opposing army's leader in combat until they can no longer be sustained by their five orbs.

Each army's deck needs at least 50 cards to engage in battle, and unlike some other card games, running out of cards to draw from your deck just means you have to replenish your deck with all the cards left in your retreat to continue the battle, meaning the victory condition is all you have to focus on.

Game Flow

Each turn consists of these actions in the following order, which are divided into their own phases:

1. Drawing a card from your deck
  2. Adding a card from your hand to the bond row
  3. Deploying units from your hand to the battlefield
  4. Attacking enemies, activating skills, or repositioning your units

This goes back and forth between both players until one emerges as the battle's victor!

Card Details

iIAhbEcl.png

Here's a quick rundown on what everything means on any card:

• Unit name - The name of the character depicted on the card. With the epithet, constitutes the card name.
  • Epithet - A title distinguishing the unit from other different cards they may have. With the unit name, constitutes the card name.
  • Power - A measure of the unit's strength when engaged in combat.
  • Aid - A measure of the unit's strength when assisting an ally in combat.
  • Range - Indicates how far the unit can attack in relation to their position on the battlefield.
  • Class - Represents the unit's class and how seasoned they are.
  • Skills - Normal skills the unit possesses, which grant various abilities.
  • Assist skills - A type of skill which may only be activated when the unit is assisting an ally in combat.
  • Field cost - The number of bonds needed to deploy the unit from your hand to the battlefield.
  • Class change cost - The number of bonds needed to promote the already deployed unit to this card.
  • Symbol - Denotes the unit's associated faction and color.
  • Gender - The gender the unit is identified as.
  • Weapon - The type of weapon the unit uses in combat.
  • Types - Additional attributes of the unit if any, such as if they are a flier or armored.

Further details on how the game plays can be found on the wiki.

If there's anything you want clarification on, whether about the rules of the game or anything else regarding the cards, you're welcome to ask here!

Some exciting news was just dropped via the official FE Cipher Twitter today. It's been announced that the regularly scheduled summer livestream will be airing on August 19, with Hibiku Yamamura planned to appear as a guest. That's pretty much it about the event, but there's sure to be a lot more information about what's happening with FE Cipher this upcoming set, and then some. Can't wait!

The good news is that they also gave the Necrodragon from FE Echoes a card in the most recent released set, so it seems like a safe bet we'll continue to see more monsters over time, and the upcoming set with FE Sacred Stones would be a great opportunity. Magvel is host to a lot of cool monsters so I'd be pleased to see any of them appear in FE Cipher.

Well, there are 4 Mascot cards total, so they'd run out on Thursday. They could post a new card on Friday, or just skip posting a card that day and start on Monday. I've have my money on a Monday start since the livestream was announced for that week, though I wouldn't mind a bit of an earlier start either. :P Definitely excited to start seeing some of these cards, though! Especially since I've begun playing Thracia.

https://fecipher.jp/special/frontier/30/

JQZUJUD.png

The big takeaway here is that we finally get a look at one of the central protagonists of FE Sacred Stones in the TCG, Eirika! It's all but confirmed to be illustrated by Sachiko Wada, the original game's character illustrator. This will be for a card in Series 11 later this year.

pRvjFYA.png

ugHfYEh.png

We also get a look at some finalized cards for Series 10. Osian and Tanya from FE Thracia 776 make an appearance, and Selkie and Velouria from FE Fates do as well!

Lastly...at the very end of the column, there's some sort of tease for two new characters to debut in the Cipher World. Their identities are unknown (the filenames for their portraits are both titled "mystery"), but something tells me they're aiming to stir up some trouble. We should learn more after the livestream on the 19th.

DHQVUUzUIAAKMF7.png

The two Kanas! The original tweet reconfirms that the primary theme of the FE Fates cards this set is the Heirs of Fate storyline, so naturally the two are leading here. I'm guessing the first 50 cards will be for FE Thracia 776? I wonder where FE Heroes is supposed to fit in. Maybe near the end?

I'm betting 1~50 are Thracia, 51~X will be Fates and X~100 will be Heroes. X may or may not be 75, depending on of they do more Heroes characters than just the main 5, since I'm not sure how they'd fill 25 cards with just the known Heroes OCs. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if X falls close to the 85 mark, with ~15 cards dedicated to Heroes (3 each for Alfonse, Sharena, Anna, Veronica, and Bruno/Zacharias/Masked Man) and a bit more leeway for the millions of children unit cards (+ Izana, of course).

Seems to point to my theory about only ~15 cards or so for FEH coming true. 87~89 for Alfonse, 90~92 for Sharena, 93~94 for Anna, that leaves 4~6 spots open for Veronica, Masked Dude, and any other possible FEH cards (Feh card, pretty please? I guess summoner or Xander could also fit), depending on how many mascots (if any) are made colourless.

Oh, huh, quick thought, but I wonder if the new mascots that popped up at the end of the Frontier column might appear as colourless cards. One for each of them would leave 2 slots each for Veronica and Masked Dude which seems to fit very well (especially since Anna is only getting 2 cards it seems).

Edited by Sonya

Yeah I did consider that myself too. I think it's very possible those two mystery characters could make their debut in FE Cipher shortly after their expected appearance soon. It'd fall in place pretty nicely. Disappointing that would probably mean my dream of the seasonal characters getting cards this set may not be realized, but there are always the promos.

Also, if the masked character appears in FE Cipher, I'm pretty sure he'll likely go by the name Bruno since that's what FE Heroes has been calling him for a while now. We'll see though.

DHamWjEVYAA3V0c.png

Eyvel R and R+ revealed! Her status as leader of the Freeblades lets her easily come to the rescue of her fellow allies in the face of overwhelming odds, kind of like Conrad in the previous set. Unfortunately, she is destined to meet her hard fate as the battle goes on, so her use as a warrior is rather limited. Great art in my opinion.