Eli/Pit

Now, you can fill out your bracket!

NCAA-Tournament-Bracket.jpg

If you need help

DL Regional is Top Left

Eli Regional is Bottom Left

TKO Regional is Top Right

PB Regional is Bottom Right

If you feel froggy, maybe we can figure out a way to do something special if anyone wants to pick the bracket all the way out and we can see how accurate we are.

FOR ONLOOKERS FOR THE BRACKET CHALLENGE

The entrants for this challenged are locked in to the four of us.

You may watch the stream via TKO's channel to see how it goes down.

Edited by purple_beard
  • purple_beard changed the title to Smash Saturdays Returns! NCAA Bracket Buster Challenge Theme 3/27**

Little typo I see: in the DL region 7TKO should be Ike and in the PB region 7Eli should be Robin, you swapped 'em.

Is that right that some pairings never happen in the first round? You and I never fight, and TKO and DL never fight?

I just want to reiterate that 16 characters each means 32 matches in the first round alone—it is very unlikely that we're getting through this entire tournament bracket in a single night.

So I did this.

Spoiler

487397062_TestBracket.thumb.png.413da3efb55ed48c27352bd73fb1c051.png

Mainly had to do one side for the other side's copy pasta horizontal flip. 1280 x 720 if it has to be displayed on screen. This took me more than 30 minutes.

Taking Eliwood's post into account and going by the 4 minute matches, these nights last 2 & a half to 3 hours at most. 32 matches would take more than 2 hours to finish. The placements will look very tiny on here because of long character names setting the size.

How it is now it would take over 4 hours to complete the 16 man bracket. 8 man would take over 2 hours but you also have to consider everything in between that will take minutes to do. Especially if I'm given the task of updating the bracket after EVERY MATCH!

Good job with the seeding PB.

Also see you went ahead with 16 character each seeding, as I mentioned and Eli mentioned as well but this will take a lot of time to get thru all these matches for 64 fighters.

Just want to make sure with all of us agree to 8 seeding each so it might be manageable for T32.

I'll make you explain @purple_beard in some brackets we all don't face off in the first round but I might chock that up in the next round who whoever wins we'll be all facing each other, also to explain how all of this may be manageable under a certain amount of time. The typo's you can fix with the swapped characters.

Once what is agree I'll make my bracket when the amount of fighters is agreed by all.

Edited by DLurkster

It's s possible quirk that a matchup might not happen the way I rotated through the rosters... You can't mathematically fit 3 matches into  multiples of 4 in a bracket scenario.

Pb vs dl

Pb vs eli

Pb vs tko

Who goes to 4th spot?

64>32>16>8>4>2>1

Or...

Pb eli

Pb dl

Pb tko

Eli dl

Eli tko

Dl tko

Everyone fought  each other but 6 matches ...

Edited by purple_beard

Ah, I get PB!

So with that said I got 2 questions and suggestion to keep the T64 format:

1. The 64>32>16>8>4>2>1(winner), those are the rounds of each bracket going down, correct? So as I asked when complete the bracket for 64 and going down to 32, whoever wins or lose will be facing off in the 32 brackets, correct? Meaning the folks who didn't face of with each other might face of in the 32 bracket, right?

2. Normal with this kind of tourney set all the regions will be playing at the same time cause the numbers of players match the brackets of each region, we have four actual players and 60 fighters (subtracting the 4 players we all being playing at the start) representing other players. The question I want ask is to kind of simulate all players playing at the same time are we going to focus on region bracket one by one or are we gonna focus on completing a region round before going to the next region? (Keep in mind the time it will take shift to region to region by bracket match to get the characters ready for the match but as I said that method will be the closest to simulate how this tourney normal play with actual 64 players)

Now, the suggestion if your adamant in going with the T64. I believe you or I mentioned this before, if we started the T64 an hour or 2 earlier the length Krazy, Eli, and I mention won't be a problem per se. I say per because just like we all have to agree on T32, we more so have agree to start earlier because this would pretty much mean for Krazy his weekend stream before Smash would taken out and for Eli means he would have to get ready at 5pm his time the earliest. This is suggestion to all if they fine to start earlier, I'm fine in starting earlier. If there isn't agreement on that, I guess by alternative is the T32 is what we have to go with.

What do you guys all think?

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Ah, I get PB!

So with that said I got 2 questions and suggestion to keep the T64 format:

1. The 64>32>16>8>4>2>1(winner), those are the rounds of each bracket going down, correct? So as I asked when complete the bracket for 64 and going down to 32, whoever wins or lose will be facing off in the 32 brackets, correct? Meaning the folks who didn't face of with each other might face of in the 32 bracket, right?

2. Normal with this kind of tourney set all the regions will be playing at the same time cause the numbers of players match the brackets of each region, we have four actual players and 60 fighters (subtracting the 4 players we all being playing at the start) representing other players. The question I want ask is to kind of simulate all players playing at the same time are we going to focus on region bracket one by one or are we gonna focus on completing a region round before going to the next region? (Keep in mind the time it will take shift to region to region by bracket match to get the characters ready for the match but as I said that method will be the closest to simulate how this tourney normal play with actual 64 players)

Now, the suggestion if your adamant in going with the T64. I believe you or I mentioned this before, if we started the T64 an hour or 2 earlier the length Krazy, Eli, and I mention won't be a problem per se. I say per because just like we all have to agree on T32, we more so have agree to start earlier because this would pretty much mean for Krazy his weekend stream before Smash would taken out and for Eli means he would have to get ready at 5pm his time the earliest. This is suggestion to all if they fine to start earlier, I'm fine in starting earlier. If there isn't agreement on that, I guess by alternative is the T32 is what we have to go with.

What do you guys all think?

Well DL, depending on who wins in "round 1 / aka field of 64"  You would have the field halved down to 32.  When those matches occur you are now down to 16....ect.....    So in essence, yes, depending on who wins depends what a future match would be.

My initial idea for that later question is we play the initial rounds in rotation so...

Work the 1v16 for each region then the 2 vs 15.... and just keep rotating down.....  For ease of flow I'd probably start with your region's 1-16 matchup and go clockwise.  I don't think working down a complete regional at a time would be a good use of time because I think it would keep interest up.  Alsp, it spreads around the matchups and scenarios....

@DLurkster @TKrazyO @Eliwood8

I'll make that 8 seed short format tonight and have it up my the time Mario Kart starts.  Obviously it will have reworked pairings amongst your T8 seeds.

20 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Little typo I see: in the DL region 7TKO should be Ike and in the PB region 7Eli should be Robin, you swapped 'em.

Is that right that some pairings never happen in the first round? You and I never fight, and TKO and DL never fight?

I just want to reiterate that 16 characters each means 32 matches in the first round alone—it is very unlikely that we're getting through this entire tournament bracket in a single night.

I went back and checked my pattern, yeah, they were reversed,  I'll edit that post here and I edited the spreadsheet too.

Thanks, PB.

I thought as much with answer of my 2nd question to go clockwise region to region, it is as you said makes matches more interesting. As Eli pointed there will be at least one participant no participating in a region so if we rotate there will be diversity among match setup and someone won't spectating for too long.

Take your time with seeding of eight, get back use with those when you're read to do so. With you doing that I guess the decision with T32 is decided and @TKrazyO and @Eliwood8 have no qualms about that, right? Also with this tournament size of 32 rotating regions will be faster with less rounds from 32>16>8>4>2 and still have interesting matches.

@TKrazyO @DLurkster @Eliwood8

CORRECTED PAIRINGS... involved seeds 3-6: shouldn't have been 3v4, 5v6.... should have been 3v6 and 4v5

DL Regional     TKO Regional
1 DL/Link     1 TKO / King K Rool
8 PB / Dark Pit     8 Eli / Inkling

4 PB / Pac Man     4 Eli / Hero
5 DL / Snake     5 TKO / Pikachu

3 TKO / Robin     3 DL / Hero
6 Eli / Byleth     6 PB / Corrin

2 Eli / Wii Fit Trainer     2 PB / Bowser
7 TKO / Ike     7 DL / Kirby

Eli Regional     PB Regional
1  Eli / Dark Samus     1 PB / ROB
8 DL / Roy     8 TKO / Donkey Kong

4 DL / Young Link     4 TKO / Pokemon Trainer
5 Eli / Little Mac     5 PB / Incineroar

3 PB / Terry     3 Eli / Marth
6 TKO / Wolf     6 DL / Yoshi

2 TKO / Bowser Jr     2 DL / Byleth
7 PB / Roy     7 Eli / Robin
Edited by purple_beard
9 hours ago, Surge135 said:

So much for anyone else joining if they caught wind of what was going on.

On one hand I get you,

On the other only dl, eli, tko and I regularly play on Saturday and discussion on this started a week and half ago and once we settled in on a format....

If you can get 3 others to do 1-8 seeds of their fighters maybe we can run dual brackets and have each's overall winner face off.

I understand that it is usually just you four, but setting up something exclusive in a weekly game night thread on a public forum really doesn't give off a vibe of being open to others joining in subsequent weeks. Then posting saying "All others interested can just watch because this is only set up for us four" is another dick move to anyone else just learning about the tourney.

Finding three others in a day and a half is really not plausible.

Also, considering the title of the thread wasn't updated to announce the tourney idea until Wednesday this week, giving anyone else that wasn't aware of the initial planning only three days to come up with three other players to participate makes the exclusivity a bit more apparent.

Edited by Surge135

@Surge135: I don't think it was a coincidence that you came to this thread as you said the thread name changed this past Wednesday, you are right that isn't very welcoming that this sort of event is closed to any other players. But the reality is unlike MK8 nights tho we have regulars that show up, maybe like once a month we have someone we know just jump in. It is different in two ways for Smash, one; Smash doesn't garner the same ppl appeal as MK. Fact. Two; arenas to bring ppl to play together are limited in how make them public or friends.  3 weeks out of the month we open it to the public and if we see someone who comes by regularly and abide by the rules of no excessive camping or constantly starting a match, we will make then friends.

So with that said I think exclusive events like this were created, yes it is selfish but and we definitely need to change message here that anyone can join, if you want to to be politically correct. But is the realities of the night that not much ppl come here like MK8 once in a while.

Also, tho the thread name doesn't change often, I do recall in the last few months of last year when we hosted Smashdowns the first Saturdays of the months, I would mentioned you and others (who I recalled played in the past here) if they would like to join us. Anyone is welcome to ignore if their busy or whatever but to come in here and say is not welcoming when you had the choice to come when the handout was there is not fair in comparison. So like the format of the nights, I stopped mentioning, not that it was a waste of time but don't to keep notifying ppl who just didn't want to play. I wasn't forcing anyone to play when I mentioned any suppose regulars, just mentioned if you guys are interested in joining our Smashdown nights and that is all.

Sorry if this came off kind of blunt, you said whet you thought you had to say, I am just telling the reality of the nights here and how we been doing them because of said reality,

I mean, at this point it's whatever because no one else can participate in the game night if they wanted to. If this is how you want to run the game night then so be it. Just maybe don't advertise a tournament in the game night to the public only to say "Anyone else interested can just watch us play LOL"

Valid point as I said we may want to change how players can join as things have changed. I am not that blind to see things have change for these nights.

In the end that is up to PB, author of this thread to let anyone who might want come know of the conditions of the night. I get it is mixed messaging I hope we can address this in time.

Thank you, Surge for that.

It's public every time we play... Or for smash down it open to friends here to join, just not regular public because of how it operates with discord and voice chat to knock off the roster as we go--opening discord invites to non-ninfora members has been more miss than hit.

And for the nature of this bracket we have to have a multiple of four-we have four regulars--anything outside that makes it near impossible to do unless somehow we got 8/16/32 +players..  even on a peak night we've topped at 6.

As for the watch the stream... Some might find it fun to watch tko's stream and see how this event plays out.