Smash Saturdays: 10p

13 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Why am I in this post as a alert? I said from last week I won't be playing this Saturday.

Thanks for the update I guess.

Cause Krazy said "other than DL" which read to me DL is in so who else....  I finally went up a bunch of posts but that was like two weeks ago when you posted about not being around this weekend.

@TKrazyO

I've decided to go ahead and go to the beach tomorrow, but with some nasty weather coming, I'll be back in time for Smash at 10... and if we end up being empty for players I got movies and tv to watch.

4 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Cause Krazy said "other than DL" which read to me DL is in so who else....  I finally went up a bunch of posts but that was like two weeks ago when you posted about not being around this weekend.

I get the logic by name but as you said I announced 2 weeks ago, I won't be on this weekend.

Unless I came here to say sooner to the appointed time (no different when you report of plans change) that I would come. I would said so anytime this week but I did not.

Also, other than DL was the opposite of me being on this night here.  Also, my name wasn't @mentioned in Krazy's post was a hint towards that as well too.

@TKrazyO @TheBarkinHyena

Ggs last night.   Came in 2nd so many times.  I don't mind playing final destination but that much was too much.  I have no idea how my gc controller dropped twice but on my pro drop I did notice a 2nd pro beside me was litup and it looked like my cellphone slid down and was touching the a button on it.  Fixed that and was good to go.

I did get up with Ryu and he was heading to sleep.

I think the Final Destination was turning up from EA's selection. Smash isn't really my thing, just think there's a bit too much going on, but I knew a couple of regulars weren't participating so I decided to join in. That might have been the most fun experience I've had with Smash Ultimate between @TKrazyO's stream and the matches themselves. I'm not sure what the max number of players are for an arena room, but if there's room for one more I would be down for more. Does everyone join once they see the arena ID on stream or is it usually on Discord before appearing live? 

1 hour ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

I think the Final Destination was turning up from EA's selection. Smash isn't really my thing, just think there's a bit too much going on, but I knew a couple of regulars weren't participating so I decided to join in. That might have been the most fun experience I've had with Smash Ultimate between @TKrazyO's stream and the matches themselves. I'm not sure what the max number of players are for an arena room, but if there's room for one more I would be down for more. Does everyone join once they see the arena ID on stream or is it usually on Discord before appearing live? 

Join more often...better to have a full room of folks from here than to fight randoms on the web.

2 hours ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Cool.

You played last night, you are really coming into the fold with our gaming nights more and more. That's great.

As for max amount of ppl in the arena is 8 but here's the thing to keep in mind, with that many ppl outside of different connection that may bring lag is whoever sets up the arena for losers or winners to exit the arena, with 8 ppl it will be a while before you get in cause someone is always winning or losing the match. I find it is not fair or fun with 8 ppl trying to play in the arena setting, I normally set it to 6 ppl max.

@Ithrak Utopia I was wondering if that was you last night. Had checked the MK Results earlier and saw the numbers matched.

GGs

A few things to note about last night:

- I ended up not doing the pre-game session for my stream since my brother is still sick, so I started just the Smash portion of the stream at 10pm instead of the stream starting at 8pm. I ended up playing from my computer through OBS instead of my TV which did affect my performance a bit.

- Like DL said, we usually have it set to 6 entrants for arenas. As for whoever joins, I usually have to get the arena ID after it's been made and put it in a chat command for any randoms that might want to play from my stream chat. Even though the ID is on the top right of the screen in the arena before matches randoms from the stream will likely ask before joining, staying on the chat for communication purposes. The randoms in the room last night were just random players not watching the stream.

- I'm not a fan of Final Destination for a few reasons. It's generic looking for a stage in a game with over 100 unique looking stages. The background is too distracting and colorful. People pick it too much, especially winners that never change their characters or stages. I also thought you kept picking it, Joe. My bad!

- @DLurkster So I did the encoder switcheroo. I think for the most part it would've worked fine if I didn't have to go full screen in OBS which lowers the frame rate. If the OBS window was small enough it would stay at 60fps but I'm not entirely sure how the frame rate on stream was affected in the matches I had on full screen. I only saw the encoder overload message once not in full screen.

The CPU display works differently with the hardware encoder. Used Task Manager at the end of the stream before going offline with it showing my CPU at 100% and GPU in the 90% range. I'll likely need to use a browser that won't use that many resources.

I have 3 browsers. Firefox, which I have many expansions, Avast, came with the anti-virus based around Chrome and Edge which I don't use. I use a browser to monitor the stream on Twitch and gives another view to the stream.

According to the analysis of each setup, the MK stream had the GPU maxed out with 0.3% rendering lag and the CPU based software encoder having a 1.2% encoder overload. The Smash stream on the other hand, the GPU based hardware encoder had 14.2% rendering lag and 0.4% encoder overload.

I'm gonna post the Mario Kart session in that topic in a few minutes. I'll also check the quality and smoothness of the Smash fights since that depends on if I post the highlights on Thursday or not 

All in all good matches, could have been better but they were fun. I'll have to go to that OBS Help discord to see if they can help with anything. Only other thing I can think of would be to revert to the version of OBS before the October update that caused all this.

29 minutes ago, TKrazyO said:

@Ithrak Utopia I was wondering if that was you last night. Had checked the MK Results earlier and saw the numbers matched.

GGs

A few things to note about last night:

- I ended up not doing the pre-game session for my stream since my brother is still sick, so I started just the Smash portion of the stream at 10pm instead of the stream starting at 8pm. I ended up playing from my computer through OBS instead of my TV which did affect my performance a bit.

- Like DL said, we usually have it set to 6 entrants for arenas. As for whoever joins, I usually have to get the arena ID after it's been made and put it in a chat command for any randoms that might want to play from my stream chat. Even though the ID is on the top right of the screen in the arena before matches randoms from the stream will likely ask before joining, staying on the chat for communication purposes. The randoms in the room last night were just random players not watching the stream.

- I'm not a fan of Final Destination for a few reasons. It's generic looking for a stage in a game with over 100 unique looking stages. The background is too distracting and colorful. People pick it too much, especially winners that never change their characters or stages. I also thought you kept picking it, Joe. My bad!

- @DLurkster So I did the encoder switcheroo. I think for the most part it would've worked fine if I didn't have to go full screen in OBS which lowers the frame rate. If the OBS window was small enough it would stay at 60fps but I'm not entirely sure how the frame rate on stream was affected in the matches I had on full screen. I only saw the encoder overload message once not in full screen.

The CPU display works differently with the hardware encoder. Used Task Manager at the end of the stream before going offline with it showing my CPU at 100% and GPU in the 90% range. I'll likely need to use a browser that won't use that many resources.

I have 3 browsers. Firefox, which I have many expansions, Avast, came with the anti-virus based around Chrome and Edge which I don't use. I use a browser to monitor the stream on Twitch and gives another view to the stream.

According to the analysis of each setup, the MK stream had the GPU maxed out with 0.3% rendering lag and the CPU based software encoder having a 1.2% encoder overload. The Smash stream on the other hand, the GPU based hardware encoder had 14.2% rendering lag and 0.4% encoder overload.

I'm gonna post the Mario Kart session in that topic in a few minutes. I'll also check the quality and smoothness of the Smash fights since that depends on if I post the highlights on Thursday or not 

All in all good matches, could have been better but they were fun. I'll have to go to that OBS Help discord to see if they can help with anything. Only other thing I can think of would be to revert to the version of OBS before the October update that caused all this.

It's interesting that even with the Switch to the hardware encoder that Smash cause lower frame rates and higher CPU and GPU usage.

Yes, it's a good idea to find another browser that will use less resources. It's one thing to have a program running, a browser with whatever tabs and another browser for monitoring the stream. Like most time for me I have 2 browsers going with multitabs on them and tho I don't check the resources it uses, I can see it in how my laptop battery drains. So I get look for better ways to manage the resource load.

Also, makes sense with the rending load hardware encoder or not, there's a bit more to more to process in Smash than MK. Still interesting results, curious...

So here's the video:

720p 60fps recorded with the software encoder

Full Session: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1528319456

Same resolution & frame rate but streamed with the hardware encoder

So the frame rate was only affected (at least on my end) when I went full screen. Otherwise I think there was maybe two few second occurrences of encoder overload. For Mario Kart tonight I'll do 60fps streaming on the software encoder. It's the only way I can effectively test these settings in real time. Only help I got from the OBS support Discord was getting rid of the Stream Elements plugin to access the problem and deleting sources I didn't need. Kept trying to follow up with no replies. If there are any problems tonight I'll try to run it by them again to see if anyone helps me further.

Edit: Forgot to mention- Won't be on this Saturday due to the Cooldown Saturday stream. A heads up, I also won't be on July 30th due to Summerslam.

Edited by TKrazyO
2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I could read through everything thing again but to be clear:

@TKrazyO @DLurkster @TheBarkinHyena @Eliwood8 @Ithrak Utopia

For 7/16

Tko is out

I can play

Who else is in or out for this Saturday?

My 8/13 play time is highly dubious as of this time....  I could be on late or not at all...and depends on internet connection. 

Yeah, I'll be on. Been 3 weeks since I last played Smash. So raring to get back to it.

As for your 8/13, you will be around for the week prior 8/6? Yes, there will be no Smashdown cause Eli has plans. So it will just be regular Smash night, let us know for that day too.

This 8/13 , I doubt your situation with the internet change but from what I recall when you were using hotel wifi for Smash before it wasn't bad since. Even more so with Smashdown being friends only it will be our connection which not at all or very barely we have lag. Regardless, let us know if anything changes of 8/13.

18 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

@purple_beard

I believe I can play and watch Krazy's stream. Do I just need to go to the Discord for the arena ID? 

If your friends with either one of us, (meaning who makes the arena, most of the time it is I who makes the arena) you can do the alternative instead of ID searching, you can search by friends and find the arena easier like that.

It's the same when in tournament in MK8, you search by friends and you can get in that way but of course you gotta have the ID the one time, tho.

I think right now, I don't have you as a friend I'll put down my FC here and you add me. I am definitely making the arena on Saturday.

FC: 4117 7750 9223.