Smash Saturdays: 10p

I was playing quasi portable.... had Winter Olympics going on in the background but was using my Pro to play in tabletop mode.

The color selection theme went ok.

--I know it sounds trivial, but the Famicom/"J" ROB always performs better for me.

--"Winter" Ike....  can't blame the color scheme, but after Brawl I have been trash with him.

--Ice Climbers ...   I like them, I would play them more but like others more.  Were you guys saying after they do that spin move they always fall?  That was killing me way more than actually getting hit by opponents.

--Sounds trivial again, but since Dark Pit became a thing, DP always does better for me than Regular Pit but DP didn't have any winter or olympic colors to use.

--I think my KD3 play went ok, but man.... I call BS he didn't grab those ledges... he was close enough... and I have seen other characters grab that ledge automatically at greater distances.

However, the least used fighter thing has potential... maybe to a bottom 10 then a selected at random position x to have the match with?

I'll admit it was interesting see that a majority of my B5 fighters were some your T5 and vice versa LOL.

JMO on that though:

I can't stand Luigi...  Since the Smash series started, playing well with Mairo and Lugi to any kind of decent level has eluded me.  Even if I would say that I was functionally competent with Mario in Smash 64.  Luigi is just too floaty for me... never had the desire to get better with him.

Link, well I kind of liked him in Smash 64 and Melee, but after that, I just found other sword fighters I liked better ... with the only other Link I got good with was Toon Link/Smash 4 and Young Link Melee/Smash U.

DK, I just don't like his move set or his play in general.

Wario, as much as I think he cosmetically looks cool (and his Amiibo LOL) I have never been able to find a groove with him not been inspired to take the time to.

Diddy Kong, well,. I always kept hearing how OP he was or whatever but I never saw it... maybe pro players see something in him I don't because I could never make his moves work for me and as with most of these, I was never inspired to find a groove with him.

8 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

@purple_beard, @TKrazyO, and @Eliwood8

Smashdown tomorrow night, y'all comin'?

Also tomorrow, have your characters you select tomorrow be one of the teams colors in the Super Bowl this Sunday.

I'll have a jersey post tonight for visual reference.  I should be on around 10 unless the game I'm covering goes to ot and gallery creation takes longer than normal. 

Super Smashdown Saturday

2022 Super Bowl LVI Sunday - When, Where & More - NFL.com

Smashdown theme is color combinations involving the two participating teams in the Super Bowl

The Cincinnati Bengals:

nfl-cincinnati-bengals-team-logo-2.png

1024px-Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png

Versus the Los Angeles Rams:

new-project-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Jerseys:

Bengals:

D91806DE_10D2_48D4_976E_1B1CEC055CC1.0.j

Rams:

rams-new-uniforms-2020.png

Screen-Shot-2021-07-13-at-12.01.15-PM-75

Technically speaking the Begnals will be wearing the jersey combo on the far right of that picture, black top and white pants.  The Rams will be wearing yhe white jersey but the gold pants I put on the bottom row.

So, depending on your tastes you can pick how you want to look but the combos will be of the white/orange/black variety or the white/blue/yellow variety

@TKrazyO @DLurkster @Eliwood8

I think it would be interesting to tally the winning color combos 1-4 for each match to see if one color scheme wins out overall and to see if one player favors one color combo over the other.  Basically, you can pick any colors you want to use that reflect the combos listed above.  Then we could also compare that to who actually wins Sunday's Super Bowl.

@purple_beard: So you mean KO per match and not how many overall 1st placement wins per match. That makes sense and even more so for you, tho you don't win overall matches, you still KO ppl. If we did by wins your team color would not get any points, lol.

I am game for this. I know Krazy usually count the KO's but usually shows up his videos days later. I'll will count the KO's and keep tab of them in real-time along with the wins of each match, I do already. I'll be on results screen longer but I'll leave adding all the KO's after we done. That will take some time after each match to add them.

Choose your color wisely guys, I always was gonna go Rams with blue being in there with my fave color. I'll be wearing characters with blue, white and yellow.

7 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

@purple_beard: So you mean KO per match and not how many overall 1st placement wins per match. That makes sense and even more so for you, tho you don't win overall matches, you still KO ppl. If we did by wins your team color would not get any points, lol.

I am game for this. I know Krazy usually count the KO's but usually shows up his videos days later. I'll will count the KO's and keep tab of them in real-time along with the wins of each match, I do already. I'll be on results screen longer but I'll leave adding all the KO's after we done. That will take some time after each match to add them.

Choose your color wisely guys, I always was gonna go Rams with blue being in there with my fave color. I'll be wearing characters with blue, white and yellow.

No ....

#1,2,3, and 4 was wearing colors ___ ... each match

Just seeing If overall winner picked same colors more often ...and since in this case, colors are equivalent to a team in the Super Bowl.... was the winner using the winning Super Bowl colors most of the time.  I'd actually think it would be interesting if overall  #1 and overall #2 had different color leanings to draw a conclusion about it came out as a Bengals vs. Rams of which #1 is winner and #2 is loser of the Super Bowl/Smashdown.  The #3 and #4 tallies might give a leaning on who liked what colors the most and maybe an overall split....  I get I am probably the biggest sports fan here as far as NFL goes... so you guys might not even care about the Super Bowl or watch it, but since the colors are the theme, I just think it would be an interesting analysis.

Yes, 2 teams facing off is always a thing in sports, I'm sure we get all of that but mentioning that 3 and 4 as a tally at in how you explain it makes it sound confusing, am I right for those who don't follow what PB is saying here?

How I explained it, that no matter what color any of the 4 use, whatever KO of each match will be add to see which of the 2 color had the most KO overall vs which team wins tomorrow, am I wrong for thinking like that and does that and doesn't make more sense?

Whatever you think, I think as usual we're gonna choose color and we'll do what we want, I'm gonna tally the KO of each match no matter the color team chosen.

5 hours ago, purple_beard said:

@DLurkster

You are putting more thought in it than I did.   I was only at the point of at the end of the match who was using wich color scheme and since I believe no one here is a fan of either team they would pick whatever they wanted each time and thus not stick to one set of colors or the other.

LAST TIME!

I'm not trying to be difficult with you, I'll admit the method I going about adding points is more work but as I said it will be a benefit more for you than anyone else tonight. When you say a point for whichever color for the match, I translate who came in first. This won't work for you, with KO's is a better system to go by in each match of whichever color.

I don't mind adding the KO's for better and more definitive way to which color have more points by KO than the win overall in a match. Your suggestion is not bad but it's something I already do in tallying overall wins for the night and as I mention, you don't do well there.

This is the last of this, we'll be going over this. As I said we'll probably do whatever tonight proceed thru the matches, if that what ppl agree to disagree on.

Also everybody, since the first match will be a random select, no team color would be used obviously/ (unless the character uses palette swap, which is rare and rarer if its color of the team you use) I still count the KO's in that match tho. Afterward we do our best when choosing a character and if they will also have the color we can use as well. That's another thing I just thought of too, not just forgetting to stick with a color.

anhero;

*Since its Smashdown, the first match won't be applicable to team colors usage

*Colors for teams can be as simple as black and or orange and or white for Bengals or blue and or yellow/gold and or white for the Rams.  Obviously not all the characters in the game have the specific color combos so as long as "A" color from the team is there it can count towards that team.

--Just try to make it as close as possible based on available color choices--if there is none for a particular fighter, I could just take a "I'm playing for __ this round.

*I'll keep tabs on color usage and in the end, if its a one-win difference between 1st and 2nd place overall AND the most used colors are different between the two, I will call it a push becuase of the first match being neutral to color choice.

I should be on at 10 unless something crazy happens but I probably won't get back to this thread from 5-9:30pm due to covering a basketball game starting at 6.

The Smashdown challenge for February concluded and here are the results!

In first place with 11 points is @Eliwood8.

In 2nd place with 6 points is @TKrazyO.

In 3rd place with 4 points is DLurkster.

In last place with 1 points is @purple_beard.

Congrats to Eli for this month Smashdown Challenge winner and thank you Krazy for the stream as always.

The next Smashdown is on Saturday March 5. (pending if we have 4 players)

GGGs.

36 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Surprised the colors ended up pretty even considering how often we all seemed to lean toward blue/yellow and how few orange costumes there are, though I guess black makes up for that.

Same here. I kept using characters that had blue, white majority and a few yellow here and there. There were even a few matches we clearly seen that all were rams. Outside of black or orange make up. Tho not mentioned here, I do recall PB stating the color usage along who won matches most which was you is why the Rams color won out.

So, match wins were counted it seems as I thought and not just color usage, I understood.

I'll admit, I did count the KO's but there's at least 3 matches, that I didn't get the KO of one player. As Krazy mentioned it hard to catch the split second when some already gets out of the results screen if you don't press quick enough to get there first, which I did majority of time. It was easy to write the KO's to the corresponding colors once I saw the numbers, quickly.

That said, I could add up the totals but missing a few KO's doesn't make it definitive for me and even without there were more KO's for the Rams then the Bengals, that is definitely clear.

5 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Surprised the colors ended up pretty even considering how often we all seemed to lean toward blue/yellow and how few orange costumes there are, though I guess black makes up for that.

I mean, overall... it could have been like a 60-40 split if I had actually done math on it but with 4 choices and around  20+ matches the eye test had it looking fairly even.  But the 1st and 2nd place winners were about 70-30 Rams Bengals split.  So it didn't shake out as a Rams #1 vs #2 Bengals...more #1 and #2 Rams.

I would say, if we apply a team colors theme for another matchup, I think the tabulation ought to flow as you guys tell me what colors you are using so I can fill it in fast enough to also get the end match finishes.