Saying goodbye to my PS3... Possibly.

After about 10-11 years of playing my brother's fat PS3 that came with MGS4... it's finally blinking. It's at the end of the days. 

I plan on getting a slim version to replace it, but now I must say goodbye to it. 

Thinking about makes my wonder if my Wii works. It came out around the same time the first PS3 did. 

Just thinking about that... noooooo.... 

My original model 60 GB PS3 finally YLOD'ed on me about a year ago after over 9 years of great memories. I tried fixing it by taking it apart, heating the CPU and GPU to 'reball' the whatevers that get f'ed up, then replacing the thermal pads on the board and the thermal paste on the CPU / GPU and that temporarily fixed it several times but after awhile it kept YLOD'ing again and I finally replaced it with a Slim. Twas sad because it played some PS2 games that my PS2 can't play well or at all, primarily CD PS2 games. Not sure how I'm gonna play the few of those that I still haven't played, lol.

My Wii that I got back in Jan 2007 still works great though, knock on wood! :D

58 minutes ago, XLW said:

Well, I don't know how the Wii survived as of today while the PS3 bit the dust. 

Easy: It's Nintendo. Say what you want about them; their products are built to (out)last.

That being said, your PS3 had a great run at eleven years, being an original model.

If you care about PS2 backwards-compatibility, you can try this for pick-up-at-store in your area. If not, this is probably the best deal, unless you want a regular SLIM.

I still have an original 60GB model myself and it's going strong, despite having an annoyingly loud internal cooling fan. I might or might not trade it for my friend's own PS3, which is a later model, but quieter. All of the PS2 games I retain have been superseded by remakes (Final Fantasy XII, Odin Sphere), are not conveniently playable due to control scheme (Armored Core 2, Guitar Hero II), or are just not relevant to my interests any longer (Men in Black II: Alien Escape). He, on the other hand, has dozens of PS2 games he still plays.

2 hours ago, XLW said:

Well, I don't know how the Wii survived as of today while the PS3 bit the dust. 

Well, unfortunately I believe this was a problem that plagued all the phat model PS3's or at least all the ones that supported PS2 BC, which I believe the MGS4 bundle was one of the last of those. They eventually absolutely would get a YLOD from the overheating of the CPU / GPU resulting in metal balling on the chips melting, then freezing back and eventually getting out of alignment I guess. For some people it happened very quickly and others like you and me, it took many years for it to finally brick our systems. I expect that the more you moved your PS3 around probably affected that because I know that I rarely ever moved my PS3 except when I moved to different living units and at those times I made sure that I hadn't used my PS3 in at least a few days so that there should have been no possibility of the chips' metal being heated at all.

I don't think the Wii had as much problem with heating and I actually believe that one of their firmware updates fixed a heating issue that initially plagued some of the early models. I know that during the first year or so of having my Wii, I discovered that I couldn't leave it in standby mode (or whatever it's called where you can still get notifications) or else I would have trouble with games freezing up and the system being incredibly hot when they did. But at some point or another I started leaving it in standby mode again and never had that problem again to this day. I also got a free laser and disc drive replacement due to MPT not running on my Wii, which probably has extended the life to a degree. Unfortunately it ended up that I just had a defective MPT disc and had to get another when they were out of production so ended up having to pay more for it. :( But at least the Wii parts replacements were free, lol.

That sucks, but at least you got a good 10 years of entertainment out of it. My PS3 slim seems like it's on its last legs too. It usually triple beeps when I try to turn it on, and then it takes a couple tries to actually start up. I also had to get it fixed once a few years ago when it stopped reading blu-ray discs and until recently it worked fine, but in the past year or so it's started to show its age.

For what it's worth my Wii's disc drive had be replaced after a few years of loud grinding. Obviously  something was rubbing against the drive as it spun, and it came out of the box like that. It was a launch model by the way. I replaced it with a Drive from a newer Wii, and it was completely different in design, the parts that were causing the friction weren't even present on the later model,  and the whole unit was now self contained, with rubber shocks. Nintendo clearly fixed a problem they were aware of, but never issued a proper recall.

As for why the early PS3s, on average, had the life span of a gnat compared to the Wii, has little to do with the the software or even the hardware, really.

The initial PS3s were simply built like crap, and I mean physically. It's internal temperatures could get ridiculously high, thanks to the poor ventilation and an extremely insulated chassi. On top of this, they used an inferior grade of thermal adhesive that simply couldn't handle the temperatures the system was capable of. Inevitably the adhesive would weaken and the GPU would become detached, since it was constantly fighting against gravity, whether you had the PS3 standing upright or not.

When your PS3 yellow lights on you, it's because it literally fell apart.

Edited by Marxforever
18 hours ago, XLW said:

After about 10-11 years of playing my brother's fat PS3 that came with MGS4... it's finally blinking. It's at the end of the days. 

I plan on getting a slim version to replace it, but now I must say goodbye to it. 

Thinking about makes my wonder if my Wii works. It came out around the same time the first PS3 did. 

Just thinking about that... noooooo.... 

My Wii works find but I think turning off the standby power mode when they dropped messaging and gifting helped a lot.   Now all I got to worry about is the controller buttons getting sticky from low usage of late.

• Chrom featured this topic