What Equipment & Programs do you use?

TKrazyO

I'm sure that many people on here record or stream either gameplay, music or what have you. But what equipment goes into that process and what programs do you use to edit it all together?

This is pretty much a "What equipment & programs do you use to create your content?" topic where you can share what you use to make videos, music or art. I will start and hopefully we can get a train started.

To Record/Stream:
Elgato HD60 Capture Card*
Game Capture HD Software (Elgato)*

Recording Audio:
Audacity
Plantronics RIG505 Lava Stereo PC Gaming Headset (for Livestreaming)
CAD U1 USB Dynamic Recording Microphone

Editing Videos/Thumbnails:
Pinnacle Studio 20 Plus
paint.net

Video Compression:
Handbrake (for 1GB & up videos)

*Can't use full potential since running on Dual Core Processor

For recording videos I mainly do 720p @ 60fps to be on the safe side as my 1080p* attempts have had problems. Depending on the game I'll go as high as 11 mbps for recordings.

For streaming I have this amount of speed at my disposal:
6284616962.png

^I connect to a streaming server in Georgia (ping) that gives a result close to that one.

I usually go for 3 mbps but I can go up to 4.5 depending on if anyone is on Netflix or using the internet.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything. I'll leave links to some of the programs and items I brought up if you're interested in those. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I don't exactly have the money to invest in great equipment, so I try to keep things simple with what I have.  I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet for video recording.  Quality isn't great, but it's what I have and it gets the job done.  The case I have for it makes it easy to prop up on any table or shelf I need for a decent angle.  I might invest in a tripod for my phone, as it takes better video and would be cheaper than buying a dedicated camera that I'll only ever use for my cover videos, but I'm working with what I have for now.

For audio, I do all my recording and mixing on Logic Pro X (I have a MacBook).  When I need to mic an instrument or voice, I'll use a Shure SM58 plugged into a Roland KC60 amp (which I use essentially as a DI box for recordings), then line into my computer's audio input.  For guitars and basses, I go direct into my computer's audio input and use Logic's built-in amp settings, and I use MIDI outputs for my keys and drums.

As for video editing, I tried using Mac's built-in iMovie, but it doesn't support more than two video layers at a time, which I kinda need.  Ended up finding this free software called VideoPad.  It's simple and straight-forward, but it can be slow and painful to work with sometimes.  For my most recent video, I ended up downloading a free trial of Final Cut Pro X, which has an interface similar to iMovie, but with more advanced features, and it's a lot faster and more powerful than VideoPad.  I'm considering investing the $300 to purchase the full version, but $300 is a lot of money for me to drop right now, so if anyone knows of any budget-friendly video editing software for Mac, let me know.