Watchpoint: Gibraltar - N4A Chat Thread - August 2017

ace

I have a difficult time seeing why people hold the GBA in such high regard. Yeah, there were plenty of great games including the first US release of Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, then the Megaman Zero series., Sonic Advance, Metroid, and a slew of RPGs. But I  think people forget that there were tons of SNES ports. Half my collection consists of ports that can be experienced better on other systems. I think the DS and 3DS easily out-class the GBA in quality and originality in their libraries.

2 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

I have a difficult time seeing why people hold the GBA in such high regard. Yeah, there were plenty of great games including the first US release of Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, then the Megaman Zero series., Sonic Advance, Metroid, and a slew of RPGs. But I  think people forget that there were tons of SNES ports. Half my collection consists of ports that can be experienced better on other systems. I think the DS and 3DS easily out-class the GBA in quality and originality in their libraries.

While I agree, I have never heard anybody claim otherwise that the GBA had a better library than either of those.

But just because the DS and 3DS in retrospect were better doesn't disparage the GBA.  The GBA should be held in high regard, it had tons of fantastic games.  The DS and 3DS had their fair share of remakes and ports as well.  Hell, even the DS got SNES ports or remakes like Chrono Trigger or the FF games.  People shouldn't get hung up on ports because a fuckload of them exist on every platform; if anything, I'd say they've only gotten more common after the GBA's run. y;

Why do people have such a problem with ports and remakes?

Like, sure, if you don't like/don't care for the remake, that's...fine, I guess, but I remember the common concern being, "But if they're busy making ports and remakes, they're not making anything new!" or, "Making the port takes resources away from the development of the next mainline entry."

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works.

Edited by Schmengland

There's nothing wrong with ports and remakes, but I can't imagine anyone being excited at the prospect of paying $35 for Super Mario Bros 2. And then be treated to more Mario ports for a few years. I think the reason I was really excited for Mario & Luigi is that it was finally an original Mario game on the GBA after 4 SNES ports. I didn't care as much back then because I was a kid and I wasn't paying for my games, but if it were me now, I'd gladly be sticking to my SNES for these games.

I would love to see Neogaf back then for whenever E3 hit, only for more Mario ports. "JUST WHAT I NEEDED"

4 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

There's nothing wrong with ports and remakes, but I can't imagine anyone being excited at the prospect of paying $35 for Super Mario Bros 2. And then be treated to more Mario ports for a few years. I think the reason I was really excited for Mario & Luigi is that it was finally an original Mario game on the GBA after 4 SNES ports. I didn't care as much back then because I was a kid and I wasn't paying for my games, but if it were me now, I'd gladly be sticking to my SNES for these games.

I would love to see Neogaf back then for whenever E3 hit, only for more Mario ports. "JUST WHAT I NEEDED"

Because you're old enough that you've played them before and remember them enough.  Fun fact: people who buy ports aren't just people who are fishing for nostalgia that can now be portable, or who have played them at a young enough age that they don't remember the games.  A large portion of them are still new players who never got a chance to play them when they came out, don't own old consoles, or aren't emulator-savvy enough to pirate.  It's why shit like the Virtual Console's been successful.

This sounds elitist as fuck because you expect people to own or to have played these games already.  Not everyone is a hardcore Nintendo fanatic who clings to his retro consoles.

Edited by ___
Just now, ___ said:

Because you're old enough that you've played them before and remember them enough.  Fun fact: people who buy ports aren't just people who are fishing for nostalgia that can now be portable, or who have played them at a young enough age that they don't remember the games.  A large portion of them are still new players who never got a chance to play them when they came out, don't own old consoles, or aren't emulator-savvy enough to pirate.  It's why shit like the Virtual Console's been successful.

This sounds elitist as fuck because you expect people to own or to have played these games already.  Not everyone is a hardcore Nintendo fanatic who clings to his retro consoles.

Um... Sorry? y; 

Anyway, you do bring up a good point: these ports were often targeted for people who hadn't played the games before. It's also worth noting older games were difficult to find back then, before the Virtual Console and other digital services. 

What I'm saying is that ports aren't aimed at the audience you're a part of.  Remakes and remasters might be because they're catered towards people who want to re-experience a game with new content, but ports are made for new audiences or for people who want ease of accessibility.  That does not in any way diminish their importance in a console's libary.

Also for what it's worth, porting SNES games to GBA games was a brilliant idea.  A lot of you younger folks undermine or forget the significance or portable gaming because it wasn't always a readily accessible thing.  Gaming for a long time was very much a living room pastime; the novelty of being able to take console games onto a handheld that you could play anywhere was a really big deal for a lot of people who grew up in the NES/SNES era because handheld games up to the GBA were games that were significantly smaller or shorter than console games.

1 hour ago, Youngster Joey said:

I just like it because it's easier to put in my pocket, durable, doesn't get dirty as easily, starts up quickly, can be played in daylight or night easily, doesn't make my fingers numb, and I don't have to stretch my fingers or pull out the stylus in order to do stuff.

As for the library I think it's on par with the DS and 3DS. My libraries a little fuller for the DS/3DS but that's only because I have money now. I don't go for ports that much really. I would rather play the game on the original system. They're okay, but I wouldn't judge a system by its ports.

1 hour ago, ___ said:

Yeah, that's part of the reason I bought Yoshi's New Island, cause I had never played Yoshi's Island before.

Edited by Yellow