Site News, Feedback, and Help

Kodiack

Hey everyone, Ninfora will be offline a handful of times in the coming weeks. There are more details in the current announcement.

The downtime on 18 April will be especially disruptive since it's during a busier period in the evening and is expected to take approximately four hours. Unfortunately, it is not in my control to change or reschedule this - apologies for the timing.

This is more of a heads-up than anything else, since you'll likely be greeted with an incredibly generic error page when the site is temporarily offline.

Shout out if you have any questions! :)

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Apologies for the downtime. We've had some wild weather across New Zealand and it's resulted in thousands of outages. Everything in town was knocked off the grid for a couple of hours today.

What matters is that you are okay? But thanks for the information on the downtime.

Where I live we had power outage a few weeks ago from a freak thunderstorm. Out of power for 10hrs. I hope all and you nearby are okay and you guys can get power and normalcy soon.

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

What matters is that you are okay? But thanks for the information on the downtime.

Where I live we had power outage a few weeks ago from a freak thunderstorm. Out of power for 10hrs. I hope all and you nearby are okay and you guys can get power and normalcy soon.

Yep, safe and dry so far! The wind is really nasty at times still though. It’s worse than at any point when I was living in Wellington, which is really saying something given that’s the windiest city in the world haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The site has had some substantial behind-the-scenes upgrades. Performance should be drastically improved at times, and everything should be just a bit more reliable yet.

I was testing these upgrades previously and planned to roll them out last night, but an unexpected hardware failure delayed my plans slightly. Regardless, it's all in place now.

Shout out if you notice anything weird! While I can usually catch and resolve issues in testing before they go live, there's always the possibility that something managed to sneak by.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kodiack said:

There may be downtime soon. Someone ran into a power pole and took much of the town down.

The server is currently running on backup power but only gets about 45 minutes off that.

There was some downtime from this. The driver that hit that pole caused a heck of a disruption in the town with the road closure and the power outage.

Power won’t be restored for over twelve hours. The server has been physically relocated for the next day to keep things running in the meantime.

The new, larger UPS was able to keep things running for a good while at least. It softened the blow a lot since the response was less rushed.

8 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

I keep randomly getting this error message when I try to click on the board index:

That's odd. I've not run into that before, but I do see a small number of errors in a log that are almost certainly related. Does continue to show up if you sign out and sign in again?

i'm also getting it intermittently. i'll try signing out as well

edit: it's been so long since i've signed out on this computer that my username for ninfora is still set to pichi in my password manager y;

Edited by April
56 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

@Tyranogre There was a small hotfix patch for the forum software. Let me know if you see that issue again. I'll keep an eye on the logs as well to see if anything's still showing up in there.

Just letting you know I still see the error, when I logged out and logged in when clicking the index.

EDIT: NVM, it's fixed. It just took a while after signing in and signing out 2 times. All good for me.

Edited by DLurkster

@Tyranogre @April @DLurkster I was able to replicate the issue, check the stack trace, and fix it. I found out that there's a bug in the latest PHP 8.1.9 Docker image that I was using. I reverted it to PHP 8.1.8 and the issue seems to have been resolved.

Apologies for the interruption! I'll see if this has been reported to the upstream devs and open a bug report if it's not a known issue. :)