Site News, Feedback, and Help

Kodiack

Apologies if stuff is slow at all. Cloudflare is currently rerouting traffic from the Auckland POP. Traffic to Cloudflare from here is going to the Syndey POP, but the route appears to be poked with the current internet provider. Instead of the expected ~30-40 ms latency it would normally take to get there, it's experiencing 800+ ms latency with timeouts and packet loss.

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

8 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yes, cloudflare said when I get that message said it is the server on your side.

Not sound selfish but it had to happen on the last day of E3. Ya couldn't wait till tomorrow to reroute traffic, huh?

This is Cloudflare rerouting traffic from Auckland to Sydney (hence the link to their status page). I unfortunately had no say in the matter, and I'm really frustrated that this happened on E3 of all days. I absolutely would not be changing anything on my end on today of all days!

Normally this alone wouldn't be too bad, but simultaneously to this the internet provider is also having connectivity issues to Sydney. So Cloudflare traffic is being rerouted from Auckland to Sydney, while the provider has issues connecting there.

It's pretty much a perfect storm, and downright miserable timing. I'm sorry for the issues, but it is out of my control. I have contacted my ISP and they will be working on a routing fix - they've had a few other queries from other people experiencing these problems.

4 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

This is Cloudflare rerouting traffic from Auckland to Sydney (hence the link to their status page). I unfortunately had no say in the matter, and I'm really frustrated that this happened on E3 of all days. I absolutely would not be changing anything on my end on today of all days!

Normally this alone wouldn't be too bad, but simultaneously to this the internet provider is also having connectivity issues to Sydney. So Cloudflare traffic is being rerouted from Auckland to Sydney, while the provider has issues connecting there.

It's pretty much a perfect storm, and downright miserable timing. I'm sorry for the issues, but it is out of my control. I have contacted my ISP and they will be working on a routing fix - they've had a few other queries from other people experiencing these problems.

Ah, it's good to hear the detail of the redirect. I think most know this is out your control obviously.

Like life, there are some things we must weather beyond our control, till someone can fix it.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. My ISP has resolved their routing issue. Cloudflare's AKL POP is still being rerouted, so latency is a bit higher than usual, but it's now normal (35 ms opposed to 700+ ms w/ packet loss).

Basically, it's running at 90% capacity. Everything should be back to 100% very soon.

And thanks for the reassuring words, @DLurkster! I always feel a bit bad when there's an incident, especially when I'm otherwise powerless to directly fix it, aside from reporting stuff to the correct folks.

Minor update: Cloudflare's Auckland POP is still rerouted. Cloudflare has indicated that this is due to an ISP issue on their end, but they weren't at liberty to share more details. This means that latency will continue to be ever-so-slightly higher in some circumstances, but the primary routing issue was fully fixed several days ago so the site should largely be performing as responsively as usual.

Still hoping to see the normal route functioning again soon. While I don't anticipate any further issues, please do shout out if you run into any hiccups or general weirdness.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to clear the record of changed display names on your profile? I'm getting woke to the idea that you shouldn't reuse usernames in case someone wants to cross reference them to gather info on you and do harm to you

On 7/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, potato said:

Is it possible to clear the record of changed display names on your profile? I'm getting woke to the idea that you shouldn't reuse usernames in case someone wants to cross reference them to gather info on you and do harm to you

This was made a bit trickier with one of the back-end changes from a site update, but it could still be done. If this is something you'd like to do, please send me a message and I'll aim to get it sorted with some additional site improvements I'm looking to get implemented fairly soon.

• 1 month later...

I've done some significant site upgrades, which should notably improve performance and make future maintenance even easier yet. If you run into any issues or anything seems out of place, please let me know!

Please also know that I will be disabling and archiving clubs in the near future. I currently plan to disable clubs in one week, on 1 September. Please save or archive any club content you need before that date.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kodiack said:

Done.

Thanks! ^_^

I hate to ask again, but can the size be increased to the size they are on the dark theme?

image.png.dd2835ed212b1a6b6b66d340051e2ad9.png

Also, from looking at this pic, I noticed that the custom member title, rep points, and exact post count were removed on both themes. I was wondering if this was intentional...? 

Edited by alienboyva

@Kodiack: This was probably adjusted awhile back when I requested this awhile back too. The signing anonymously is regulated to Account Settings, Privacy and Security, Security, a button to turn of and your online status. Sorry if I missed where this moved and appreciate that it is back or if it left at all.

As previously noted, this was a simple checkmarked option before signing now it is push all the way back in settings, one page transitions and 2 clicking prompts. That's a few steps to get what appear to be easier than before. If you can't do the checkmark way at sign in because how the version layout works, that's fine. Just want to know if it is possible to make like it used to be the checkmark procedure before signing in.

Thanks.kvhappy;

@Kodiack Weird little error I'm seeing: when I click on "Forums" in the screenshot below I get a secure connection warning, as if the site doesn't have an HTTPS version. To make matters weirder I'm only seeing this error on the light theme. Maybe some sort of automatic link redirect that isn't working properly? Super low priority since it really doesn't change anything, the forum homepage still loads fine if I click on "Ninfora", but just letting you know.

1063937220_ScreenShot2021-09-01at11_56_50AM.png.0c9c93dfa8a14be330c65db7181b0b08.png

21 hours ago, Kodiack said:

Member titles have been restored.

I'll get the avatars resized on the light theme soon.

@DLurkster I'll have another look at that. I do agree it's an option that should be simple and immediately upfront.

I'm curious... are member titles just not visible on mobile?  Could have sworn they used to be.