Site News, Feedback, and Help

Kodiack

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 4:49 AM, EH_STEVE said:

Anyway to nuke all my images posted?

There's no bulk option for it yet. Are you nearing your space limit? If that's the issue, let me know and I'll see what can be done to increase it in the medium-term.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, lazurwolf said:

Help! Where did everyone go?

lol. since... [checks profile] May 2017? forums are just super out of fashion and there's basically nobody coming in to replace the users that leave.
everybody uses social media, discord, or whatever else is far more convenient and designed to be addictive nowadays.
so as time goes on there are fewer and fewer people beyond the core group of folks that are on here every day.

1 minute ago, Pichi said:

lol. since... [checks profile] May 2017? forums are just super out of fashion and there's basically nobody coming in to replace the users that leave.
everybody uses social media, discord, or whatever else is far more convenient and designed to be addictive nowadays.
so as time goes on there are fewer and fewer people beyond the core group of folks that are on here every day.

Woah this place is so high tech, i got a notification from you holy crap duuuude.

I hear you on that discord thing. I swear theres a new craze being concocted everyday and these crazy kids are just straight up ballin on all of us while we twiddle our fingers quietly in our private little social circle. What will they start dabbling in next? Virtual Reality?

The times sure have changed.

@Pichi I've tried out a few other browsers on dekstop and mobile, and everything seems to be rendering tweets and images as expected. Are you running any specific add-ons that I should test with, or anything of that nature? Does anyone else run into problems with images and tweets not displaying correctly? I'd like to resolve that if I can get to the bottom of it, but I'm not able to replicate anything on my end as of yet.

2 hours ago, Kodiack said:

@Pichi I've tried out a few other browsers on dekstop and mobile, and everything seems to be rendering tweets and images as expected. Are you running any specific add-ons that I should test with, or anything of that nature? Does anyone else run into problems with images and tweets not displaying correctly? I'd like to resolve that if I can get to the bottom of it, but I'm not able to replicate anything on my end as of yet.

the tweet thing ended up being me blocking cross-site trackers in default firefox options. it works if i re-enable social media tracking content (barf)
image.png.6adacd55b9890593a85c1b00eb957c39.png

but i've never had a problem with it blocking images on any other site

the only other site modification add-on i run is ublock so it shouldn't be a problem on that end
the image thing doesn't come up that often but i'll let you know if it happens again. thanks for checking it out

Edited by Pichi
  • 2 weeks later...

@Kodiack Today I noticed that embedded tweets now look like this...

*Notice the text is now much bigger, pics/vids are much smaller and the overall size of the tweet is now smaller and narrower.*

image.thumb.png.4592ba375894c55aa85164dd8153d165.png

Come to find out Twitter recently made a small update to embedded tweets, so this might be a result of that. For some reason I only got this to show up using an incognito window in Chrome, as for whatever reason embedded tweets still look the same using a regular window in Chrome. However, embedded tweets with videos won't play when using a regular window. IDK, this might just be something on my end and I might need to relaunch Chrome. Anyway, I tried using Safari on my iPhone and MS Edge in Windows 10 and embedded tweets look the same as before and videos play with no issues. Maybe this new style of embedded tweets is still be rolled out?

EDIT:

Relaunching Chrome fixed the issues I had with video playback in embedded tweets and tweets now looks the same as before, even when when an incognito window in Chrome. Since twitter made a change to embedded tweets, this is something that might pop-up again in the future (assuming when it's fully rolled out), so you might want to keep an eye out.

EDIT 2: After logging on to twitter, tweets went back to looking like in the pic above (using a incognito window in Chrome). Tweets still look the same in a regular window in Chrome. Though, that might be because I've yet go to Twitter and/or log in using a regular Chrome window.

Edited by alienboyva
3 hours ago, Kodiack said:

@alienboyva the tweets are all using the new-style embed on my end. Try clearing your browser cache if it stops working properly at any point. Otherwise do let me know if you run into any further issues, but do note that it's likely outside of my control with the embed updates.

Alright, thanks.

This issue with the size of embedded tweets seems to only be on Ninfora. Whatever Twitter changed, effected something here.

Before / After: 

image.png.b75d5873e3129ae5c2aaf4a2fbf6ee57.png

EDIT:

Come to find out, if you fullscreen a video in an embedded tweet and then exit out, it will fix the size of the tweet....

image.thumb.png.f5fb27be5cbfdc31c26681dcdfeec71f.png

Yeah, this has got to be do to how tweets are being embedded on Ninfora and the recent changes Twitter made.

Edited by alienboyva
3 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Come to find out, if you fullscreen a video in an embedded tweet and then exit out, it will fix the size of the tweet....

Good find. If it's something server-side in that case, it might get improved with the next software update. Not sure when that will be.

Exciting news: Sometime in the not-too-distant future I'm going to be moving Ninfora to my server in New Zealand! This server is a very significant hardware upgrade for the site with 8x as many CPU threads, 8x as much RAM, and more than 16x as much disk. Once this migration is complete, I will increase the upload cap from 512 MB to 4 GB, and it will be easier to increase this even  further down the road if ever necessary. With the site upgrade, performance will ideally be roughly similar. Since the server will be NZ-based, the latency to the origin server will be higher for most of you, although this should be somewhat offset by the far beefier hardware.

I will share more information about this with a site-wide announcement when I've scheduled the migration.