Site News, Feedback, and Help

Kodiack

@wildflower  Sorry but I'm unable to do that. No access to my computer, so I can't upload a picture. And taking one on my phone and then uploading it on a library computer isn't an option either, as I'm not sure of whether or not there are viruses, etc., on their computers. Better to be safe than sorry. That said, once I get back online on my own, I'll get a picture.

@Kodiack  The captcha for being invisible/cloaked isn't working. It did for a bit, but when I tried to make a post in the Tetris 99 thread, it started to act up.

Edited by Doc Brown
On 8/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, Tyranogre said:

Is there a limit to how many images can be in a single post?

Most likely.  On NS2, it was set to 400 by default, and increased to 500 at some point during my FE8 LP.  I expect it to be 500 here, as well.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:38 AM, Tyranogre said:

May we please have the ability to adjust font size on mobile?

The responsive theme should adjust this based on your mobile device's specified display size and scaling. In comparison to other websites, do you find the font to be too large or too small?

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, TKrazyO said:

I was working on updating the Mario Kart Tournament logo and I touched up the Ninfora logo a bit.

Feel free to use it.

fWJkiZz.png

That resolution is really nice! It's lacking some anti-aliasing, but a higher-resolution logo could certainly be welcome. If you can add some anti-aliasing I'll put a poll up and see which one the members prefer. :)

@Kodiack For this one it looks the same but I went a slightly different direction to get there. Image is 720p. Had whatever anti-aliasing option on for it (don't really change things in paint.net). If you need it 1080p or even bigger, let me know. When I was doing the Mario Kart logo, I was going for a more metallic look to match the "Mario Kart" in the logo. Although that one uses a different font.

Hope this is a little better. I could put a shadow behind it if that'll help.

Spoiler

fkjU8XT.png

It really needs better kerning around the F. Looks like you spaced it evenly from the edges of the cross part but that leaves a huge gap between letters. You'd want to base the spacing on the stem instead as much as possible. The left side is also longer than the right. If you're using the same font as a base, I initially edited the logo for the same reason lol

Edited by Pichi
2 hours ago, Pichi said:

It really needs better kerning around the F. Looks like you spaced it evenly from the edges of the cross part but that leaves a huge gap between letters. You'd want to base the spacing on the stem instead as much as possible. The left side is also longer than the right. If you're using the same font as a base, I initially edited the logo for the same reason lol

I have no idea what the bolded means but I got what you said about the F -> O spacing and the top hook. I remember noticing it back when I asked about the font but forgot about it. Made some changes and put two different ones in the same pic. Ignore the white line near the first one.

Spoiler

3arN42z.png

1st one I used Emboss and Overlay which is why the letters look a little jagged.

2nd one I used Relief.

I don't change the options too much so anti aliasing was on. It's just how the first one looks after doing the effect. It needs the edges for that look. I'll give this a rest for now since I've been working on these for the past hour.

Kerning is the spacing between letters in a font. Most fonts are dynamic and change the spacing depending on the letters that are next to each other.
If you look at the Nintendo logo, they position the horizontal mark out of the way so that the spacing is closer between the F and other letters.

image.png.5a57a5047da987d0c706c0b17903e7b4.png

If you look at the current Ninfora logo, you'll see that I did the same thing when editing it, by positioning the horizontal mark higher up where it had more room to go over the N and the O.

image.png.86e679fae5f2354afe3c61690c0691db.png

This font is kind of bad in general lol. For the letters that aren't part of the Nintendo logo. Actually I think the T in the logo is ugly too but anyway.
If you want to just bevel+emboss and use a gradient or whatever, you should just pen tool the current logo and expand it.

Use stroke path or whatever to redraw it. That way you don't have to manually re-edit it yourself.

I'm not an artist or have any knowledge on font etiquette, but I feel stupid for not understanding this. So in your edit, you're saying that you horizontally matched the top of the tall letters together and the short letters together? Other than that, the only other difference I see is the cross on the f being higher.

If that's wrong, don't bother explaining it to me. I probably won't get it and it won't even matter.

pa2pLdW.png

wLD4xSF.png

Edited by TKrazyO
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if it is just me but is the site overall running a tad slower than usual.

It's weird to bring this up now with most not having much to do these days so what if the site is running a little slow but it's hard not to notice what you are used to loading from one place to a other.

I tried different browsers on my laptop and on my phone they all load slower, I'd say it ranges from 5-8 seconds longer than usual to load from one place from the other. I don't there's any link that doesn't load slower either too it's everywhere.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Not sure if it is just me but is the site overall running a tad slower than usual.

Performance is looking the same here. It's still snappy and fast, even with the extra latency from New Zealand.

Is anyone else noticing slower speed? Nothing should have changed for the worse.

1 hour ago, Kodiack said:

Performance is looking the same here. It's still snappy and fast, even with the extra latency from New Zealand.

Is anyone else noticing slower speed? Nothing should have changed for the worse.

Earlier today when I tried to log on it was unbearably slow for some strange reason. Seems to be back to normal now.