Site News, Feedback, and Help

Kodiack

11 hours ago, Kodiack said:

Yes, actually. There's no traffic shaping or anything.

Costs us about $65 USD per month for this connection.

Jealousy intensifies.

If only the U.S. was colorful and free. I pay Comcast more than 30 more dollars than that. I get a third the speed (at best), port 25 is blocked, and an IP address that is not static to boot.

My dumb HOA has a contract with Comcast so no other providers are even allowed here.

8 hours ago, a/0 said:

If only the U.S. was colorful and free. I pay Comcast more than 30 more dollars than that. I get a third the speed (at best), port 25 is blocked, and an IP address that is not static to boot.

New Zealand is Best Zealand. 10 Gbps trialing is in the pipeline as well.

8108043475.png

I certainly do not miss dealing with Charter. It's appalling how such companies can have such ridiculous conflicts of interests between providing TV and internet service simultaneously. We almost had a vehemently anti-consumer Vodafone and Sky TV merger here, but thankfully it was shot down!

On 3/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, Doc Brown said:

Wow. That's great. I pay around $50 odd for a 25mbps one (via AT&T). They're robbing people blind state side. :(

I agree with this mainly because most companies like Kodiack said want you to bundle TV/Internet. More proof of this are all the data caps they put onto sole Internet plans. The only way to get fast speeds are either paying top dollar to AT&T or Comcast, or living in a specific area lucky enough to have affordable fiber connections. I pretty much pay $90 ($89 and some change) for a 45mbps connection but get 50mbps on AT&T.

In other news, which was my main reason for posting, the Clubs kinda fell off did they?

1 hour ago, The Krazy One said:

I agree with this mainly because most companies like Kodiack said want you to bundle TV/Internet. More proof of this are all the data caps they put onto sole Internet plans. The only way to get fast speeds are either paying top dollar to AT&T or Comcast, or living in a specific area lucky enough to have affordable fiber connections. I pretty much pay $90 ($89 and some change) for a 45mbps connection but get 50mbps on AT&T.

In other news, which was my main reason for posting, the Clubs kinda fell off did they?

Yep. And even the bundled ones. I've lived with a 250gb cap per month with AT&T bundled.

Dang. That's horrible. Even worse than what I pay for it.

Looks like they did.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to start setting up the server today. Going to do plenty of exciting things, like taking the software that Ninfora runs on and putting it in Docker! Many exciting projects planned on all of this, especially if I get to create a cluster in the future.

I'll run a temporary, beta version of Ninfora in the future that will be on this hardware and will contain some additional updates. Again, more info to come in the future!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, Kodiack said:

I'm going to start setting up the server today. Going to do plenty of exciting things, like taking the software that Ninfora runs on and putting it in Docker! Many exciting projects planned on all of this, especially if I get to create a cluster in the future.

You're so clever duck. What do you do these days?

9 hours ago, Aisha said:

You're so clever duck. What do you do these days?

Software developer. Mainly a lot of web dev and infrastructure stuff. Quite a bit of Docker, and quickly moving into some Kubernetes.

I've already got the site running in Docker and hosted from these servers. Plenty of upgrades in place, which I like. Having to figure out how to handle the custom name colours though. Those have unfortunately stopped working. Aside from that, things are looking very good!

https://beta.ninfora.com/forums/

I have a beta version of the site running from a server out of home. This uses an old snapshot of the site and should be looked at as ephemeral; anything done on that beta site will inevitably be wiped. Expect occasional sporadic downtime too.

I've got the beta site running in Docker, behind Cloudflare, with several packages and the forum software updated. The main issue right now is that the plugin that supports custom name colours unfortunately no longer functions. I could do some dev here to get it sorted, but it's not currently one of my higher priorities. However, there are other updates that do need to go live. I do hope that the lack of username colours for an indeterminate amount of time wouldn't be an issue. I'd like to fix that, but I have many other tasks on my plate at the moment. Ultimately I would like to develop is a solution that would allow anyone to choose their own name colour in their profile without having to make a request to an admin.

In the meantime, if you would like to play around on the beta site momentarily, have at it! Let me know if you find any issues, and tell me how it's performing since it's hosted from New Zealand. The latency will be worse than US-hosted for virtually all of you, though ideally I'll have been able to mostly mitigate that by throwing a silly amount of power at it.

• 1 month later...

We're back online after maintenance! As mentioned in the announcement, custom colours are unfortunately not currently functional. This will be next on my list of Ninfora-related tasks to tackle - though it may take a while for me to get to it.

The big improvements under the hood should improve performance by ~10-20%+.

As always, report any issues if you run into anything.

Capture.thumb.PNG.651932a4dc95d92cd0427804d732fe01.PNG

i might just be going crazy here but im like 99% sure that these didn't say this before the update, the one on the left had the board name and the right one said the actual next thread 

not a huge deal tho

esp if its always been like that and i am actually crazy

Group colours will show on usernames in threads again, both on desktop and on mobile. First step in getting the functionality restored.

Do know that your custom colours are still there - they're only just disabled because they don't function nicely after the updates and require some development.

Ah great everybody is reporting what's amiss with the upgrade.

I didn't see anyone post this but I might as well: Capture55555555.PNG.d268fd000c84706d1cf3599966a08225.PNG

Wildflower brought up that the next topic does not show up at the bottom of the page and yes that is a bother to me so thank you.

*Ahem*

But yeah wildflower name, I can't tell if she is offline or online. Please fix that soon as well.

Thank you.:)

On 6/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, wildflower said:

i might just be going crazy here but im like 99% sure that these didn't say this before the update, the one on the left had the board name and the right one said the actual next thread 

10 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Wildflower brought up that the next topic does not show up at the bottom of the page and yes that is a bother to me so thank you.

This is a result of the forum software update. Namely, for 4.4.0:

Removed the name of the content (e.g. topic) from the “Next Unread” link which could consume significant server resources on large communities.

Unfortunately, I cannot revert this.