Atari back in hardware mode...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/ataris_new_console_seems_to_be_part_nes_classic_mini_part_ouya

This looks really cool.... and could be a maybe for me...

But in all honesty, Atari was fun to play back in the days but the sub 8bit era graphics for most of its games made them a little too plain for me to get into... or even like.  Also, I could never get into their joystick and one button layout on their controllers.

It should be noted that the people releasing this machine are not the original atari. If I recall correctly, atari got split in two and sold off, so whoever is selling and making this doesn't really have any connection to, you know. atari. 

That being said, it's a neat concept and the design is solid, so we'll see how it goes.

Looking at Atari's recent output, I don't have high hopes.

The best thing the Ataribox has for it is the name. It'll hit those nostalgia buttons, but I'm not sure what to say for its longevity. The idea of "current" titles is interesting, to be sure, but I can't help but remember that current Atari titles are games like Alone in the Dark: Illumination, Haunted House: Cryptic Graves and Roller Coaster Tycoon World.

This looks interesting. The wooden edition presses my hipster buttons.

I'll be interested to see what the box offers in specs and gaming output, and at the very least, it'd be nice to see another company challenging the triad we've had for the past three generations (Sega doesn't really count for much, here). Then again, Microsoft are essentially redundant as it is.

I dunno. We'll see.