Thors Military Academy - N4A Chat Thread, July 2017

Chrom

There's the problem with taking a word from another language and trying to make it a label for something that nobody can really agree upon the limits of. Sure, it works and most english speaking people will know what you're talking about, but there are plenty of edge cases that make one really question the point of the exercise. Especially when you refer back to my previous post about how people are barely distinguishing between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese works anyway. How often is the country of origin even that relevant to a discussion?

I vote we go back to japanimation in those cases. It's fun to say.

Chinese cartoons are chinese cartoons is all I have to say on the matter.

Though I kinda feel like an idiot because I actually do differentiate between manwhas and manga, because there usually is just something... different about them.

44 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

This. I honestly don't fucking care about Avatar and want him to get on with Battle Angel Alita already. At this rate, the man will be dead before it enters pre-production.

I thought he wasn't really involved with that anymore.

Also he has four Avatar sequels planned.  Avatar is all he really cares about at the moment.

I never heard any formal assertion that he had abandoned the project, even as a concept. It is rather far off, though. The tall order for the Avatar sequels saw them increase in number from three projected films to four, and the release dates for them are pushed back every year. If they're all truly being filmed simultaneously, the current release dates stand, and assuming Cameron really does intend to go ahead with Battle Angel, I imagine we'll see it in the mid-2020's. That is, unless his aspiration to direct a film about the atomic bombings takes precedence, in which case, it'll probably be a decade from now. That would be a noble cause; Avatar, on the other hand, made its (very overt) point eight years ago. It was a decent film, if rather sappy, but I'm not sure it justifies a sequel in spite of its immense success. It'd be like making a sequel to Titanic about the life of Rose afterwards: redundant, and probably less impactful.

To be honest, I'd be more in favour of him handing it to another director and then producing or something.

Edited by Schmengland
1 hour ago, InXplotch said:

real talk tho, is castlevania good? I've never actually been super big on the games so I wonder how much impact that would have on if I like it or not.

I've never been that into the games and I enjoyed it. The show has it's good parts and meh parts. Show has some really well done animated sequences but there are also some weird moments where if you look at the background at all you're taken out of the moment because there's some choppy half baked animation going on. The overall plot seems like you would read in a video game manual from the 80s but the dialogue and the subplot with church politics and overall power it has over humanity was interesting. 

It's SUPER mediocre. It's super buggy, the maps are all same-y, and there's very little to actually do. It was fun for like 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile Borderlands 2 is fun and good and I want to play it. 

Presequel and the Telltale game are the only Borderlands I have not 100%. Haven't played the Presequel DLC (did 100% the main game though) and I always forget to buy the Telltale version when its on sale.