Thors Military Academy - N4A Chat Thread, July 2017

Chrom

23 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

The premiums go up, though, so you're paying someone no matter what. Unless your insurance company is really fucking nice.

Even without an accident, this is why I avoid automobiles altogether. Too much financial overhead and upkeep, potentially and actually.

Yeah, but you're not dropping anywhere near $1000 at one time. 

43 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

For adult driving lessons here, it's about $600 for 6-hours of driving, and $1000 for 12 hours.

Wow, here you get 20 hours of class and 10 hours of driving for $400 (you can add an extra hundred to use a driver's instructors car).

44 minutes ago, ace said:

You guys know that in an accident you don't pay for the damages right? That's what car insurance is for. 

Okay, dare I ask, what's your point?

Being afraid of driving because of injuring or killing someone is outlandish because you can over-analyze and look at virtually everything you train or do in life can possibly have life-changing or life-threatening repercussions to others.  From working in a fast food restaurant or being a construction worker, that's always something that can happen.  Hell, I work in retail which seems like the most boring-ass job imaginable, but people fall off ladders, drop massive-ass signs hanging from the ceiling on people (which cut my head open), or crawl into the trash compactor which can kill somebody if it goes off while you're inside it.

Freak accidents can happen everywhere, there's a reason they teach people about safety.  Once you know, any blithering idiot can follow the rules.  Pinning that fear on cars exclusively is irrational, unless you've gotten into an accident or know somebody close to you who has, then it can become a justified albeit still farfetched concern to have.

Edited by ___
10 minutes ago, ___ said:

Being afraid of driving because of injuring or killing someone is outlandish because you can over-analyze and look at virtually everything you train or do in life can possibly have life-changing or life-threatening repercussions to others.  From working in a fast food restaurant or being a construction worker, that's always something that can happen.  Hell, I work in retail which seems like the most boring-ass job imaginable, but people fall off ladders, drop massive-ass signs hanging from the ceiling on people (which cut my head open), or crawl into the trash compactor which can kill somebody if it goes off while you're inside it.

Freak accidents can happen everywhere, there's a reason they teach people about safety.  Once you know, any blithering idiot can follow the rules.  Pinning that fear on cars exclusively is irrational, unless you've gotten into an accident or know somebody close to you who has, then it can become a justified albeit still farfetched concern to have.

I don't pin that fear on driving exclusively. I'm afraid of every possible thing that could kill or hurt me or someone else. I don't want to be afraid of these things it's just my natural thought progress to imagine every possible situation. Most the time I can tune fearful thoughts like those out.

It's just worse with cars because I'm in control. If some else falls off a ladder it's not my fault, unless I was holding the ladder but that doesn't require as much concentration. Most other dangerous things I can't control so I don't bother thinking about it. But you're in control there are consequences if you screw up.

When I was in High School they would have a yearly assembly where they would talk about drunk driving and reckless driving. Most of these stories ended with either someone dead, or injured but more than that the driver's friendships were ruined and their reputation destroyed. They gave the definite impression that if you get into a collision and someone's hurt, your life is over.

In any case fear is not rational, least not usually. I mean people's greatest fears are like spiders an clowns.

1 hour ago, Schmengland said:

The premiums go up, though, so you're paying someone no matter what. Unless your insurance company is really fucking nice.

Even without an accident, this is why I avoid automobiles altogether. Too much financial overhead and upkeep, potentially and actually.

I was in an accident and I'm a male under the age of 25, aka prime insurance fuckery. My premium went from $150 to $180. Not exactly $1000 in damages. 

• Chrom unpinned and locked this topic