Metroidvania thread

4 hours ago, SuperNintendoPower said:

I disagree. I found it very unbalanced (I stuck with maybe two weapon types throughout, changing it up occassionally for boss fights) and I find it's level design more tedious than fun. 

It's a spiritual successor to the ORIGINAL Metroid. The one that's already been topped several times over by all of it's real sequels. In my opinion, it has no reason to exist. I see it as no different than Stardew Valley in that regard. Personally, I was hoping for something higher quality. Like Freedom Planet, which takes what made the classic games fun while introducing all these new mechanics and features that make it novel. 

My opinion is that there are far too many better alternatives to even bother with Axiom Verge. 

Yeah, I'll agree that a lot of of the weapons are superfluous,  but I think the other power ups, the ones that really change how you play, like glitching through walls and teleporting to your drone, set it apart from other more conventional Metroidvania movesets. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I actually feel the same way about Xeodrifter. It's a fine game, but it doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done before, and doesn't really stand out among all of the other great Metroidvanias. But there are a lot of people who like it, so more power to them. 

I like Metroidvania a lot, although I'm not extremely well-versed in them outside of Metroid - All Metroid games aside from Zero Mission and Hunters, including AM2R.  I'm planning on resolving the Zero Mission thing soon.

Also played all the Shantae games.

I backed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, so I hope that turns out good.  I haven't played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night...only Super Castlevania IV, which I know isn't Metroidvania.

I probably own a few Metroidvania games through PS+/Games with Gold...probably Guacamelee, Strider, Shadow Complex, probably some others.  I should get around to trying some of them but I have such a backlog.

6 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I'll throw in another one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Xeodrifter. It's not terribly long or complex but it's a fun little game and very much a love letter to 2D Metroid game design.

I really liked this one, just wish it was a bit longer and I'd like to see Jools' new studio continue it in some fashion.

metroidvania games. I know I have been good at some of the games and bad at others. I'll come clean and say I'm a bad Metroid player as I still can't get a proper grasp on Metriod Fusion via 3DS ambassador program or Super Metroid via Wii/Wii U. I did do well with Cave Story on PC. I guess it depends on the game. Still got AM2R before it was removed by Nintendo ninjas two days after launch.

What do you guys think of Ori and The Blind Forest? I've been playing it a lot recently, and the controls are really tight. Great atmosphere and animation too. It's got some pretty good level design for the most part, although there were a coulpe of terrible sections due to poorly executed ideas. The Forlorn Ruins in particular was a good idea, but bad execution IMO. 

• 8 months later...

Might be weird, but I've had an IRL friend whose always hated the term Metroidvania and he's a big-time Castlevania fan. Guess I can kinda understand though when a name of your favorite series is overshadowed by that of a different name and merged into one to identity a certain genre. :P I got him more into Metroid though, just as how he made me a proud Castlevania fan by a certain point, so all was well in the end. I mean I always played a little Castlevania here and there like the original on the NES, but wasn't like a fan until he exposed me to more of it. As such, am really looking forward to its animated Netflix series coming out soon, and hope it opens the doors for more video game-based TV series of that quality (take notes Nintendo!).

On 9/28/2016 at 8:05 PM, luigitornado said:

Oh fuck. You're right! Still. Castlevania IV is the best Castlevania game---partly because it's the only one I ever played.

Shows how much I pay attention.

Castlevania X:Rondo of Blood is the best linear Castlevania. Get it on VC and fix the error of your ways. Let me know when you find all the side paths. :)