Official Anime/Manga/Light Novel Thread - Summer 2017

Fire

6 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

>try to watch the Crunchyroll simulcast of Hajimete no Gyaru

>look down at the comments

>people are complaining that it's the censored version

Look, CR, I want to support the industry by legally streaming the "official" release, but if you want me to give you my money, you gotta stop that shit. Especially for this kind of show.

You can largely blame that on the broadcast sources; more often than not, the uncensored versions of these shows are on a premium channel/outlet (usually a satellite (I think?) channel) called AT-X. which is where these sites do not get their broadcasts from or are provided with. It's very rare for the legal streaming sites (CR, Funi, Daisuke, Amazon, etc..) to have the uncensored versions of shows, which is one of the many reasons people download fansubs.

you can be subscribed to cr and still dl fansubs tho

2 hours ago, Isotope said:

You can largely blame that on the broadcast sources; more often than not, the uncensored versions of these shows are on a premium channel/outlet (usually a satellite (I think?) channel) called AT-X. which is where these sites do not get their broadcasts from or are provided with. It's very rare for the legal streaming sites (CR, Funi, Daisuke, Amazon, etc..) to have the uncensored versions of shows, which is one of the many reasons people download fansubs.

Ah, okay.

I suppose I could also wait until the DVD version comes out. Those are always uncensored.

2 hours ago, Isotope said:

Actually CR will put up uncensored version of older shows. I think it's just simply what they're given and when. Highschool dxd for example was uncensored when they added it earlier this year.

5 hours ago, Fire said:

I watched the first ep yesterday, I think I will enjoy this series.

Episode 2 of Made in Abyss cements the main story and main elements of the world, so that's where it really starts to pick up. As someone who's read the manga four volumes in, it will definitely get even more engrossing as time goes on. It's a rather wonderful adaptation so far, but

to be fair, the manga is text-heavy, which tends to be much more appropriate in an anime setting

. This is likely the main highlight of the season for me.

Tsurezure Children and Welcome to the Ballroom are also delightful adaptations so far.

Edited by Zeldaru

I dont think i liked this ep of tsurezure as much. Aho girl continues to be the weird mess i expect, which is good. 

I think i'm just gonna wait on kakegurui to be on netflix, its too much of a pain to find and watch for me. 

Watched Gamers! today, and I like what I've seen, but with what they've hinted I'm wondering if it stays good. I'm worried about the series devolving into some weird love triangle nonsense and am seriously considering reading the LN to check, but bleh.

The OP and ED were nice, tho. I hope the series stays good.

Record of Lodoss War is pretty dope.  That's basically the only thing I watched in the past several months, seasonal anime is a chore to keep up with or most of it is fucking garbage now, I'm just watching old shit.

Gunsmith Cats, finishing Lain, and rewatching Evangelion are next up on the list.

Marathoned Ajin for a few days and finished it up not too long ago.  Much better that I initially expected and it was pretty intriguing the different tactics the actual Ajin employed considering their abilities.  But that ending, though.  I really hope another season is in the works for Netflix.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:12 PM, Kezay said:

Marathoned Ajin for a few days and finished it up not too long ago.  Much better that I initially expected and it was pretty intriguing the different tactics the actual Ajin employed considering their abilities.  But that ending, though.  I really hope another season is in the works for Netflix.

My understanding is that Ajin was a two-cour (24 episodes) but I didn't watch it. Netflix seems to just have the first season.

How did the animation feel to you? (Polygon Pictures is known for making quality CG anime, but it can still feel jarring even when made by a dedicated staff.)

CG anime will become viable when it is rendered at 30 frames per second. Sure, the character models sometimes look bland, but as far as I'm concerned, the frame rate is the real issue.

RWBY should really be looked at as a benchmark in this area, to be honest. One can dismiss volume 1 through 3, but after 4 showed off its visual fidelity and smoothness...?

Frame rate isn't that important -- it's the attention to detail and incorporation of CG that needs to be improved.

Really looking forward to Orange's fully CG adaptation of Houseki no Kuni -- the manga's alien aesthetics should work well with a CG approach, as it's not meant to be (completely) realistic. It should be a new benchmark for CG anime as a whole.

(Especially given Orange's track record with the CG of shows ranging from Black Lagoon and Dimension W to the mechas in Majestic Prince.)

Edited by Zeldaru
13 minutes ago, Zeldaru said:

Frame rate isn't that important -- it's the attention to detail and incorporation of CG that needs to be improved.

Absolutely. However, even a CGI repertoire that looks like ass could nonetheless be watchable if the characters didn't looks so...choppy in motion.

It's the reason for why RWBY volume 1 is bearable to watch while Berserk 2017 is not, even though the former is arguably less detailed.

Though I'll agree that it is better when the animation itself isn't stiff as fuck.

Seriously. Why are they so... stiff?

RWBY is fully CG, whereas Berserk is like half CG, so I"m not sure those are comparable. In reality, your examples of Berserk and Tsuki ga Kirei actually highlight the poor integration I am talking about. :P Because one could argue traditional anime (aka hand-drawn) suffers from a frame rate issue regardless, and would be more appropriate for hybrid shows and less for full CG shows. (Meaning, RWBY may not be a good example unless you mean to delve into full CG.)

While not without its problems, Expelled from Paradise got some parts right. 

The inherent problem is that 2D anime generally utilizes a lot of visual shortcuts involving perspective and angles that the stylized anatomy of the medium doesn't translate well into 3D, like faces especially.  A side profile for a lot of faces just won't look the same with the same model in 3D without serious distortion.