What are you listening to?

Doc Brown

Anyone got a good suggestion on a program for ripping (and playing) cds that pulls song titles and album art?

Windows Media Player, a program I have been using since the dawn of time is increasingly getting bad about pulling that info and working with it, I guess its due to them dropping update support.  I played around with a few apps via freeware but it appears they either don't offer ripping from cds, only playback.  Yes, I have been satisfied with my WMA rips so...  Not that I can't sit down one day and redo all my cds from scratch in .mp3 but anyways....

I'm good for pay or freeware.

I want album cover art pulls and song title populating.  Yes, I am that guy that values sound quality so digital music purchasing while getting sh* sound quality pisses me off.

13 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Anyone got a good suggestion on a program for ripping (and playing) cds that pulls song titles and album art?

Windows Media Player, a program I have been using since the dawn of time is increasingly getting bad about pulling that info and working with it, I guess its due to them dropping update support.  I played around with a few apps via freeware but it appears they either don't offer ripping from cds, only playback.  Yes, I have been satisfied with my WMA rips so...  Not that I can't sit down one day and redo all my cds from scratch in .mp3 but anyways....

I want album cover art pulls and song title populating.  Yes, I am that guy that values sound quality so digital music purchasing while getting sh* sound quality pisses me off.

I got this one program at Best Buy that did that once for not only song titles and album art, but other things, like album name. Sadly, I forgot what it was, but I remember liking it.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:21 AM, purple_beard said:

my friend, let me introduce you to the godly swiss army knife of music: https://www.foobar2000.org/
it does a ton of things out of the box, and you can mod it to do basically anything else you can imagine, and to make it look however you want.
it's a bit complicated to use at first, but here's a guide to setting it up and making it look nice: https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/15a4xy/foobar2000_a_beginners_guide/
you really only need the first section to start with, although I do recommend the Columns UI. I use it myself.
save yourself all the nonsense about not using preset layouts though lol

here's what my setup looks like theydonothing;

image.thumb.png.d0909639694bc5b042249c5e0f868332.png

here's how to use foobar to rip CDs to FLAC: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15577/how-to-rip-an-audio-cd-to-flac-with-foobar2000/
if you value sound quality, WMAs and MP3s are pretty interchangeable, but both are imperfect compressions. FLAC files are lossless, like a .png compared to a .jpg image. with space being a non-issue most of the time, there's very little reason to compress music. although if you do rip to MP3 instead, your best results will be ripping to either 320 or v0 MP3s using LAME: http://lame.sourceforge.net/

for album art, it looks like there's a component that can do this here: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_discogs

you'll want to download that and slap it in the components folder in the foobar installer.
I also saw people mention this album art tool, which apparently has foobar functionality to search your library and fill in missing covers!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

Edited by Pichi
3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

@Pichi

You are the second person to reccomend foobar to me.  However, when I looked at the apps for its "freeware" version the cd ripping wasn't there, or I darn sure couldn't find it.  It found my cd in my drive, loaded everything fine for playback, but I couldn't find anything, anywhere to rip it.

there's no paid version for foobar. it's not something that's pack-in; foobar is more like a music player toolkit that you can mod for any functionality you can think of. follow the guide i linked and you'll be able to rip CDs with it. if you want a program that'll do it without extra tweaking, look up Exact Audio Copy. that isn't a music player as well, though.

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

there's no paid version for foobar. it's not something that's pack-in; foobar is more like a music player toolkit that you can mod for any functionality you can think of. follow the guide i linked and you'll be able to rip CDs with it. if you want a program that'll do it without extra tweaking, look up Exact Audio Copy. that isn't a music player as well, though.

Ok, I'll dig further.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...