What are you listening to?

Doc Brown

So, yeah.... ultimate edition....

https://www.metallica.com/store/

Other versions.

I think I will play this like I did with MoP DLX....  I might get the 3CD version with the live stuff and the album itself @ $25.  Demos, rough cuts, interviews, and tons of live stuff isn't where I'd spend money I don't have but I think the base version being $12 and the expanded version being $25... .I could see myself getting the expanded.

And honestly, that GNR set was super cool but that had a lot of unreleased stuff that was live/studio and not just in-progress takes at material already out there.

Edited by purple_beard
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it be just too nerdy to say that right now I really like listening to video game music? :P

I am into 80s mainstream and 90s alternative, usually. And classic rock. Otherwise every once in the while a neat song comes on the radio that I like, and it goes through my house like wildfire. But man has  mainstream music gone downhill in the last 10 years, in my opinion... I am sure somebody already mentioned that before, though.

Been listing to this guy Jerobeam who creates music using an oscilloscope.

This is pretty damn impressive! I had now idea you could create pictures like this with an oscilloscope and still make something that can be considered music. If you want to know more about oscilloscope music, I highly recommend checking out Techmoan's video on YT.

Check out the full album HERE

Song dosen't pick up until 02:18

Edited by alienboyva
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What did you get in 2018 and what was an actual 2018 release?

How would you rank your 2018 musical purchases?

I'd say this year, I had a large mix of retro and new cds added to my collection.  And for the most part a lot of the titles were new to experience for my listening.

Suicidal Tendencies: Still Cyco PUnk After all these Years (2018)
Slash: Living the Dream (2018)
The Game: The Documentary 2.5 
Cypress Hill: Elephants on Acid (2018)
Eminem: Kamikaze (2018)
Paul Wall: Bounce Backs over Setbacks (2018)
Godsmack: When Legends Rise (2018)
The Black Crowes: Lost Crowes
Def Leppard: The Collection Volume One
--EP
--On Through the Night
--High and Dry
--Pyromania
--Hysteria
--Live at the LA Forum 1983
Guns N Roses: Appetite for Destruction(RM) + bonus SDE (2018)
Suicidal Tendencies: Get Your Fight On (2018)
Paul Wall: Slab God 
Judas Priest: Nostradamus
Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution
Metallica: Kill Em All (RM)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning (RM)
Eminem: Revival
Metallica: And Justice for All 3CD RM (2018)
Stone Temple Pilots : "  (2018)
Jack White: Boarding House Reach (2018)
Jimi Hendrix: Both Sides of the Sky (2018)
Jimi Hendrix: BBC Sessions
Judas Priest: Firepower (2018)
Audio Adrenaline: Sound of the Saints
Audio Adrenaline:  Kings and Queens
Helmet: Dead to the World
Papa Roach: Crooked Teeth
Wyclef Jean: Carnival III: The Fall and Rise of a Refugee
Prophets of Rage: " (2018)
Judas Priest: Rocka Rolla
Evenssence: Synthesis
Judas Priest: Stained Class
Judas Priest: Ram it Down
Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith
Judas Priest: Sin after Sin
Judas Priest: Point of Entry
Judas Priest: Painkiller
Judas Priest: Sad Wings of Destiny

So, some thoughts:

Judas Priest Retro:
I had a few cds already and a hits disc as well.  I finally decided that since I could get all of these for under $5ea and a few sub $10 I'd go ahead and try to complete my JP catalog seeing as their new album was about to drop and it had been bugging me I was missing discs from a "set" where the spines spelled out their name.  Man, those were great cds to go through.  I loved their variety and I loved how they could do it all... slow, fast, aggressive, screamo, real singing, shreiking... all of it.  Such good adrenaline music!

Judas Priest: Firepower
WOW, for a band this long time in the game, to deliver a album that epic was great.  I really liked it.

Def Leppard set:
Saw I could get their catalog up through Hysteria ( the only tape/cd I had had of theirs till I got Vault the hits disc) and for a great price.  I was pleasantly surprised that all of their old stuff kicked so much ass.  I just had a hard time with them when Adrenalize came out and anything after that, although if they do a volume two and i can get the post-Hysteria catalog on the cheap I might do it.

Metallica retro:
I was pleasantly surprised with my MoP remaster 3CD purchase from last year that I decided these remasters were super cheap and the sound enhancements were audible that I'd double dip.  A little cleaner and a little bit more bass makes a lot of difference but you need the sound system to take advantage of the changes as they are subtle.  Justice has grown to be one of my favorite cds of theirs so I wouldn't mind getting it in remastered form.  I thought the live disc was pretty good too.

Guns N Roses: Appetite for Destruction retro
I don't buy these expensive CE's like this but in this case, seeing as it was one of the first tapes I ever got, and with my own money no less, it held a special place in my heart and mind.  IMO, it is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.  My main reason for splurging on the CE though was the 4 extra discs of content that were new covers I hadn't heard them do (some live), basically also including a lot of tracks of Lies, and some new unreleased stuff.  So it was like getting a ton of new cds to listen to aside from the main album.  I also loved getting that BR of their music videos off Appetite and Lies with remastered audio tracks for the videos.  While the memorabilia and pictorials from the time were a nice bonus, I was more into this for the music.

Jack White's new cd.
So esoteric, eclectic, and innovative.  It had a lot of songs that just spoke to me.

Prophets of Rage:
So when I heard the band former called RATM, Chuck D of Public Enemy, and B Real of Cypress Hill had formed a rock band where you had that kind of talent on instruments and behind the mic rapping I had to get this cd.  I was blown away by how good all these guys fit together.  I also think that there are only a few select MCs in the rap game that can actually rap to metal/rock music and these two guys are on that list.  A really good disc and I'd recommend people check it out.

Stone Temple Pilots new disc:
Heard they had a new lead singer and this was their debut cd with him.  WOW.  He sounded just like Scott Weiland.  A pretty solid rocker and I hope they can keep it going with the new vocalist.

Jimi Hendrix purchases:
I liked South Saturn Delta when I got it so when I heard about this cd hitting I got the Both Sides of the Sky.  EPIC.  The other one was on sale super cheap the day I got the prior cd so I got both.  Its pretty good too.

Eminem's cds:
Kamikaze is a return to form IMO for his normal satiric, sarcastic, and just his overall style of byte when he's pissed off.  I personally think that is when Em is at his best.  He needs fuel for his fire.  As far as Revival goes, I didn't hate it like others did, but I can say that while insightful on some tracks, it just lacked that classic Eminem punch.

"The others"
Some where cd's that finally got to a price that I'd buy them at, some where missing link fill ins, others were cds that I didn't even knew some of my favorite artists had put out so I had to get them to fill in their catalogs I had going.  The only one that I thought was kind of weak was the Evenassence one.  Without that rock band behind her, it just doesn't have the same vibe and punch like their first 3 cds did.  Papa Roach cd was pretty legit and I liked the bonus live disc.  I had been wanting that Wyclef for a while but it was way too much.  I really like his post Fugees music more than what he did with the Fugees.  Paul Wall is Paul Wall... nice beat and rhymes... I just wish he'd expand on the topics he raps about---same ol' same ol' gets old after a while even if has a good bounce to it.  The Suicidal stuff was pretty decent but not overly amazing.  That new Godsmack was good but if you listen to their prior works and then this, you would come away thinking that its sounds like Godsmack but it doesn't feel like Godsmack--not a bad cd but not amazing.

Ohh, that Cypress Hill cd is ILL.  Its like classic and new Cypress.  I still think they are the only group out there that can do what they do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sucker by Jonas Brothers.  

-... This song came out of the blue, hit number one, has a really good music video... and I like it? They've been split for about six years, and somehow this happens. Maybe it's because of the current pop landscape that this song is actually doing well. The song is rather simple and catchy as well. It's like finding out that Arianna is a really great singer. Sometimes, even I get surprised.   

Edited by XLW
  • 4 weeks later...