ARMS is actually pretty hard.

ARMS does seem to be in the unusual position of being both difficult to learn and difficult to master, which is especially odd for a Nintendo game. And it's definitely the type of game where you want to go through all the training tips and just plain practice before getting in too deep.

I also started on level 3 GP but after losing repeatedly in the first two matches I went down to 2 which was much more doable. I've also done better by just focusing on the characters I liked from the demo–Ribbon Girl and Twintelle–to develop my rhythm in the game. And also like I did in the demo I find the normal controls way more comfortable and effective than motion controls. I feel insanely sluggish when I use motion.

I had a very easy time with 3 to be honest, however I tried to play the highest rank and got completely obliterated on rank 7, I literally could not win the first round. And then after dropping to rank 5 I had a far more difficult time than anticipated. The AI is shockingly competent. The final boss also becomes somewhat absurd after rank 4. The game gets hard, especially when the AI uses mechanics you don't even see real players use, at least from my experience.

From what I have read and heard for Gamexplain, Nintendolife, and in some ways IGN is that once you transition from Level 3 to 4, and then from 4 upward to 7, the game gets considerably harder in terms of better AI for the fighters.  Andre from GX said the change dictated him having to move to the Pro Controller to execute certain moves with more precision and speed than he was able to pull off with the JCs to get things done.

So far I've only completed Grand Prix on Lv. 2, lol.  But it helped me get better acclimated to different fighters and how to even play as I went along.  Ninjara was my favorite during the Test Punch, Kid Cobra has just about taken that spot though.  We'll see how much my favorite characters list changes as I move up level by level.

• Chrom featured this topic