General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Yeah, with all the good things I had been hearing about it leading up to and shortly after release, think I’m gonna see Joker sometime early next week when I’m off. All the Heath Ledger would be proud comments felt inspiring particularly.

The controversy surrounding the film left me a little tilted, but I respect that they stepped up security for the film at most places just in case.

The Bruce Wayne cameos felt kinda forced, but otherwise excellent film. This will definitely be as remembered as other hits like The Dark Knight, though I'm just glad it turned out DC had a hit this year at all when Marvel struck as hard as they did with End Game. The media and things spinning controversy against Joker ironically only made it more successful in the end too.

Edited by Ridley Prime
On 10/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, IU said:

Joker is probably my favorite film of this year. Very character driven, dark, cohesive...and the score is pretty much perfect for the character, what issues arise and situations that occur. It's a different kind of comic book inspired movie, and I found that very refreshing. 

Not sure on best of the year, but it was Deadpool-esque in terms of breaking molds.  I mean, I'd go t5 for 2019 easy.  The psychology angle was it's strongest play.

7 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

The Bruce Wayne cameos felt kinda forced, but otherwise excellent film. This will definitely be as remembered as other hits like The Dark Knight, though I'm just glad it turned out DC had a hit this year at all when Marvel struck as hard as they did with End Game. The media and things spinning controversy against Joker ironically only made it more successful in the end too.

I thought the Wayne family tie in angle to the story arc was well played and gave a more direct line to the intertwined Batman/joker story.  The whole you created me, I created you play while making it on a personal level.

Fair point. It’s just assuming this is a standalone film and separate from the rest of the DCCU (no way can I relate this Joker to the Suicide Squad one or anything), the Bruce cameo/tie-in wouldn’t feel the most necessary, but I won’t complain how they made the connection which was still clever.

I can imagine he would be upset, but the performance level wasn't there and Suicide Squad was just okay. After seeing Joker a second time, I would say it is my favorite film that I've seen this year and would also say that Joaquin Phoenix is my favorite live action Joker. I picked up on Arthur's psychological issues more and do believe there are a number of delusions mainly centering around Sophie and Thomas Wayne. I do though believe or want to believe that most of the film's events are real. The way I look at the ending specifically is that Arthur had been arrested again after rising among the clowns and sent to Arkham, where he had thought of the Waynes' murders and killed the staff member. 

On 10/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah, with all the good things I had been hearing about it leading up to and shortly after release, think I’m gonna see Joker sometime early next week when I’m off. All the Heath Ledger would be proud comments felt inspiring particularly.

The controversy surrounding the film left me a little tilted, but I respect that they stepped up security for the film at most places just in case.

Although my theater caters mostly to the kids older crowd, we had to do it here as well.