General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

9 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I still have yet to see Pirates 5, I know it was on Netflix, but I've been hearing how the quality has been declining in the series since the 2nd one.  Kind of surprised to see the backlash considering how many people have disliked the franchise. But I do agree it is kind of foolish to replace him.

4 was awesome.

5 was a cool tale and a way to wrap up some loose ends...  IMO, better than 2 and 3.

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

4 was awesome.

5 was a cool tale and a way to wrap up some loose ends...  IMO, better than 2 and 3.

Seconded.

And I'm not fond of them throwing around the word "reboot". Are they ACTUALLY rebooting it? If so, Depp is not needed at all, and probably SHOULDN'T be in it. Or are they just making ANOTHER one? Also, can just do a sequel or prequel with Sparrow.

One of my small, pet peeves with movies is when they reboot it and use an iconic actor from the originals in the reboots, but want audiences to still believe they're different. Like how they keep using Arnold as the Terminator. He was in the original series of movies (including Salvation). He was in Genisys which was a reboot of the series. And now they're rebooting the series AGAIN and using him as the Terminator again. 

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 had a whole mess of problems, Johnny Depp phoning in his performance not least among them. Honestly at this point I don't think Disney will ever recapture the charm of the original film, at least not without going out of their comfort zone. A full reboot/breakaway from Jack Sparrow with someone like the Russo brothers at the helm with plenty of creative freedom would be a good start though.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Seconded.

And I'm not fond of them throwing around the word "reboot". Are they ACTUALLY rebooting it? If so, Depp is not needed at all, and probably SHOULDN'T be in it. Or are they just making ANOTHER one? Also, can just do a sequel or prequel with Sparrow.

One of my small, pet peeves with movies is when they reboot it and use an iconic actor from the originals in the reboots, but want audiences to still believe they're different. Like how they keep using Arnold as the Terminator. He was in the original series of movies (including Salvation). He was in Genisys which was a reboot of the series. And now they're rebooting the series AGAIN and using him as the Terminator again. 

Don't get me started on issues with the Terminator movies.  The series timeline is already janked up and Arnold is the only thing tying together it's now multiverse angle.

4 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I don’t get the people who want a Terminator without Arnold. He was never really the problem with the series’ drop in quality after the 2nd one.

It's more the fact that if you want to reboot something, you shouldn't have the same actor in both.

Throwing an edit in here. James Earl Jones reprising Mufasa in The Lion King is an absolute godsend and definite exception.

Edited by EH_STEVE
5 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 had a whole mess of problems, Johnny Depp phoning in his performance not least among them. Honestly at this point I don't think Disney will ever recapture the charm of the original film, at least not without going out of their comfort zone. A full reboot/breakaway from Jack Sparrow with someone like the Russo brothers at the helm with plenty of creative freedom would be a good start though.

I'll be the first to admit that Depp's acting was kind of weak in the 5th.... but his shtick in #3 was way more unnerving to watch with the whole rock crabs on the isolated beach...15m of him acting himself in like 20 personas....   But I were to go there he's playing Jack Sparrow-like personas since the first movie.....  Alice in Wonderlands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, ect.... all the same basic vibe and mannerisms...

I think there has to be a valuation of what makes PotC movies PotC movies.

There are plenty of maritime, ..age of Pirates, and international Pirate (something they tried to get into in the 3rd one with Chow Yun Fat's character.... ), and even based on doing that Fountain of Youth in #4 you have similar quests out there...., so I mean... there is no shortage of material to mine for stories.

4 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

I don’t get the people who want a Terminator without Arnold. He was never really the problem with the series’ drop in quality after the 2nd one.

4 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

It's more the fact that if you want to reboot something, you shouldn't have the same actor in both.

Throwing an edit in here. James Earl Jones reprising Mufasa in The Lion King is an absolute godsend and definite exception.

But, they keep wanting to keep the storied tied to the 1984 original of the first Terminator being sent back.  Then you keep him around and have a new one in 2.  In three you still keep him around but try to make a more advanced one than 2 in terms of the weapon forming angle.  In 4 you really don't have him till they get to the factory and they are using "his body" mold on the production line but the guy with the memory wipe is basically prototype..., Genysis tried to explain all the timeline crap....  and thus it went back to being centered around the first Terminator being sent back.  And lets face it, in 3 and 5, Arnold just didn't have it for the doing it more.

I think they honestly ought to either have one completely in the future....  or if you will... a story of Skynet's takeover how they got there, how the resistance groups started to form, why did Skynet decide that sending that terminator back in time was the best idea?  I mean, why not assassinate John Connor the  in the future/present?  I mean, by their logic he leads the resistance...but if you take him out.... certainly in another instance of time, another leader would emerge to take them out....

But anyway, I have had a problem with these movies time travel issues since the first one.  Back to the Future handled the logic so much better.  Hell, even the Austin Powers 2nd movie did a better job with it LOL.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-notable-films-of-2019-0-b/

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-notable-films-of-2019-c-f/

Interesting reads about what movies are coming in 2019 through how far he's gone.

But the one that scares me the most is what they plan to do with Child'd Play.  I'll be the first to admit the collective of movies in the series weren't the best cinema in the world but the story of his creation and thus his deal, seems to me to be such a centerpiece to the overall story that to scrap that for what they are planning that I would be heavily averse to checking it out unless the trailer(s) prove me wrong.

It was a documentary/live recording of her  Amazing Grace album, which was never seen due to technical difficulties. She and this Southern California Baptist group, I forgot which, were recorded for two night sermons or the like. And it’s the fastest selling gospel album of all time. I watched it with no information beforehand, but was pleasantly surprise at how much dedication she puts into her performance. Not only that, but the church is the roots of her career and life, something I never of. Plus, another musician makes a cameo night two. 

Make she makes an appearance in The Blues Brothers for a few minutes to sing Think. Though, that’s not the only noteworthy cameo. 

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Started "Titans" since it only just hit Canadian Netflix. It's not terrible and seems to be improving as I'm progressing (about 5 eps in), but still hate how they handled Starfire.

Starfire’s one of the glaring problems, but pretty much everyone they did wrong in some way. She got the worst of it though. Starfire normally shoots green lasers, and isn’t a firebender. lmao