General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Venom Officially Beats Justice League at the Box Office

I saw Venom.  Not the best movie but it was dumb fun for what it was especially as a standalone Venom movie. I always felt a movie with Venom needed to be a solo affair with Spiderman as opposed to the mash fest that Spiderman 3 was cramming multiple villains including Venom into the same story. (that and Topher Grace was a terrible Eddie Brock, like...really?)  But even so, for it to come out on top against Justice League is bonkers to think about.  I never thought Venom would completely bomb but never expected it to reach the highs it is currently seeing.

Not like Justice League did that well itself. I mean the movie itself wasn't that bad (imo), but when it lacked the kind of goodwill buildup to it that Marvel had for the Avengers, of course it was gonna struggle. Wonder Woman's movie for the most part has been the only very successful and well received film out of the DC cinematic universe so far, but am looking forward to Aquaman and Shazam and hopefully they can change that.

Another Toy Story 4 teaser. Looking alright so far I guess. Even if it is kind of a cashgrab sequel, will still watch with how good the first three were.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:18 PM, Kezay said:

Venom Officially Beats Justice League at the Box Office

I saw Venom.  Not the best movie but it was dumb fun for what it was especially as a standalone Venom movie. I always felt a movie with Venom needed to be a solo affair with Spiderman as opposed to the mash fest that Spiderman 3 was cramming multiple villains including Venom into the same story. (that and Topher Grace was a terrible Eddie Brock, like...really?)  But even so, for it to come out on top against Justice League is bonkers to think about.  I never thought Venom would completely bomb but never expected it to reach the highs it is currently seeing.

Kind of sad.  I do agree that I did find it hard for Venom to be a stand alone movie.  I won't say it was better than Justice League....  but JL had its own set of issues.  Honestly, I didn't know enough about Venom and his character to say whether Topher was a good or bad choice for the character but in terms of Spiderman 3, that whole movie had some issues.  It was kind of sad that the first one was good and trending up with Spiderman 2, but Spiderman 3 kind of put out a lot of bad vibes to end that trilogy on a down note.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:58 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Not like Justice League did that well itself. I mean the movie itself wasn't that bad (imo), but when it lacked the kind of goodwill buildup to it that Marvel had for the Avengers, of course it was gonna struggle. Wonder Woman's movie for the most part has been the only very successful and well received film out of the DC cinematic universe so far, but am looking forward to Aquaman and Shazam and hopefully they can change that.

Another Toy Story 4 teaser. Looking alright so far I guess. Even if it is kind of a cashgrab sequel, will still watch with how good the first three were.

TS4 a cash grab? lol.  The characters are solid enough to merit sequels and with the voice actors they use its not like you can turn these out every two years due to their schedules. It will be interesting to see how they play the new story though.  I thought TS2 was a great idea but the Star Wars humor they injected with Buzz and Zurg felt kind of lame and overdone.  In TS3 though.... Lots O was probably their best villain since Sid.  The action and the story were pretty solid too.

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

There’s been a huge consensus of “Do we even need another Toy Story?” after 3 with the kind of closure it gave, Andy moving on in life, etc, so not everyone’s completely sold on the idea of a 4th one, even though most like myself will give it a chance.

Yeah, I'll give you that they did close the circle with Andy in 3.  However, they also already pursued the toy collector angle with  _____ from TS2 so going down the road of toy collecting has already been explored.

I wonder what human attachment angle to toys gets pursued this time.  And, FWIW, they passed off them being Andy's toys to that little girl at the end of 3 so....

Edited by purple_beard

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody. If that doesn't get you pumped up for listening to some Queen I don't know what will. I don't know too much about Freddie Mercury's life but I knew enough to recognize some of the creative liberties within the film, which for the most part I was okay with—understandable that they'd add some drama. It's still plenty entertaining for what it is.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Good, because the reviews have really bashed it and honestly the first one wasn't all that great in comparison to the Harry Potter collection.

I will say that I was disappointed in a few things and kind of confused but I can't wait for the third (won't say why there is a 3rd movie though).

Edited by Kirbymeister2
55 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Caught the new Fantastic Beasts movie.  Much better overall than the first one but I feel as though I need either read up on the HP universe from the first set of movies or read the books for this new series as it appears there is a lot of background information and tie ins I am missing.

Apparently from what I heard from my friend I need to get caught up with the rest of the HP movies to understand some of the references they had in that movie.

10 minutes ago, Kirbymeister2 said:

Apparently from what I heard from my friend I need to get caught up with the rest of the HP movies to understand some of the references they had in that movie.

I have read none of the books but watched ALL of the movies.  IMO, the Fantastic Beast line of movies is kind of like prequel series to explain events of this universe up through Tom Riddle/Valdemort era 1 ( the HP movies would be Valdemort era 2).  I also kind of get the feeling they want to expand into the Dumbledoor(sp?)'s background and his history and how it ties to others that fueled what is transpiring.

Then again, I have no idea if the books expanded information that wasn't in the movies so I could be wrong.

Hey guys let's make a shot for shot remake of a beloved classic, except instead of bright, expressive animation, we render all the characters in this operatic Shakespearian story as photorealistic CGI animals, making for more muted emotions and characters that are harder to relate to.

Ralph Breaks the Internet / theater

--The short short of it is, yes, its its better than the first one to me.

--Yes it hit some comedic gold...and troll gold.... and sarcasm/self aware gold

BUT:

Spoiler

I did not like a few things: why didn't they finish out the macguffin of the steering wheel, in terms of showing it getting installed and the game running?  If she didn't return to her game, what happened with her game?  If she stayed in Slaughter Race then what happens with that game?  I personally think these what ifs are the key to me enjoying it even more.

4 hours ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

I honestly don't understand these live-action remakes of Disney movies. Like, the story was already told perfectly before, and it's not like kids don't have access to the originals. I mean, fuck, Disney already heavily promotes the Blu-Rays of the OG versions, so why bother wasting resources on a redundant product? 

Studio execs would tell you the following:

Kinds these days don't like old school animation.

Kids are fascinated with photo-real CGI

The tech is there to pull it off

But yeah, I get your point though....

That said, I think there is something inherently different in say Transformers as an animated/full cgi movie versus doing it in live action for the current time period.