General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

13 hours ago, purple_beard said:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/james-gunn-fired-from-third-guardians/

Crazy stuff about Gunn getting fired from GoG 3.  I mean really..... kind of odd timing that if they were 10 year old tweets they just get dug up now and cost him his job with the 3rd movie.

Yeah I don't know what I can't believe more. That he actually said that stuff or that Disney fired him because of those 10 year old tweets. 

But yeah, people seem to love digging stuff up from the internet and sticking for others that is for sure. Have to be really careful what you post now because it will come back to haunt you. I honestly may deactivate my Twitter account. I don't have any offensive stuff, imo, but I feel like anything can be taken wrongly and turned against you now. In Gunn's case, there is no beating around the bush. What he said sucked, and now is facing the consequences. He manned up to it and is taking full responsibility which is good, but those don't get you your job back. I just now hope GotG 3 will be as good as the first two. If not I will not be a happy fan.

1 hour ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Yeah I don't know what I can't believe more. That he actually said that stuff or that Disney fired him because of those 10 year old tweets. 

But yeah, people seem to love digging stuff up from the internet and sticking for others that is for sure. Have to be really careful what you post now because it will come back to haunt you. I honestly may deactivate my Twitter account. I don't have any offensive stuff, imo, but I feel like anything can be taken wrongly and turned against you now. In Gunn's case, there is no beating around the bush. What he said sucked, and now is facing the consequences. He manned up to it and is taking full responsibility which is good, but those don't get you your job back. I just now hope GotG 3 will be as good as the first two. If not I will not be a happy fan.

I'm going to throw this out there as it's the most applicable to this: where is the heat on Dr. Dre, ice cube, and Snoop Dogg from their various solo efforts and nwa?  Beats headphones, snoop's game show, and their other commercial enterprises sure don't seem to be slowing down based on the material said on their CDs.  Same goes for jay-z.  It feels like some people get s free pass on stuff like this while others don't.

I remember the heat on Jay-Z, but can’t for the life of me remember the rest of the guys. NWA were counterculture and were brash and outspoken because they felt like they were harassed by their race and lived in a horrible neighborhood that influenced their lives. They shook things up when the world needed a wake up call. Yes, they were partially responsible for a riot because of a song, if the movie is to go by. Also, after the group broke up, there was real fighting words tension. As for Snoop Dogg... maybe I am totally jaded, but maybe with the exception of drugs, I always thought he was one of the more laid back guys. My problem is that in some moments I haven’t heard what’s been news for this artist or another. There’s been an overload of some info that the rest fails to be remembered well. 

Edited by XLW
On 7/21/2018 at 7:09 PM, XLW said:

I remember the heat on Jay-Z, but can’t for the life of me remember the rest of the guys. NWA were counterculture and were brash and outspoken because they felt like they were harassed by their race and lived in a horrible neighborhood that influenced their lives. They shook things up when the world needed a wake up call. Yes, they were partially responsible for a riot because of a song, if the movie is to go by. Also, after the group broke up, there was real fighting words tension. As for Snoop Dogg... maybe I am totally jaded, but maybe with the exception of drugs, I always thought he was one of the more laid back guys. My problem is that in some moments I haven’t heard what’s been news for this artist or another. There’s been an overload of some info that the rest fails to be remembered well. 

F* the Police by NWA, much like Ice T's metal band's song Cop Killer, is about police brutality and how you might feel in dealing with it at that level on a day to day basis.  They were arguably political songs about the situation.

I didn't even bring up Cop Killer originally even though I thought about it later on as being a point to this but he got tons of flak from Dan Quayle(SP?) and Police at the time of its release but now he's a stalwart on Law & Order as a cop no less LOL.

I get the distinct feeling there is a double or more standard to the PC police and Social Justice warriors going after people..... different people with arguably the same levels of "offensiveness" get completely different treatments by varying entities.

But to get back on topic to the situation at hand..... digging up 10 year old tweets NOW .... to end up costing someone a job when, since all this was public domain knowledge to begin with just seems a little too conspiracy theory to me.  Where were these people when the tweets were made?  How did this not come up when GoG 1 was made?

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

F* the Police by NWA, much like Ice T's metal band's song Cop Killer, is about police brutality and how you might feel in dealing with it at that level on a day to day basis.  They were arguably political songs about the situation.

I didn't even bring up Cop Killer originally even though I thought about it later on as being a point to this but he got tons of flak from Dan Quayle(SP?) and Police at the time of its release but now he's a stalwart on Law & Order as a cop no less LOL.

I get the distinct feeling there is a double or more standard to the PC police and Social Justice warriors going after people..... different people with arguably the same levels of "offensiveness" get completely different treatments by varying entities.

But to get back on topic to the situation at hand..... digging up 10 year old tweets NOW .... to end up costing someone a job when, since all this was public domain knowledge to begin with just seems a little too conspiracy theory to me.  Where were these people when the tweets were made?  How did this not come up when GoG 1 was made?

I'll continue some of this stuff in the PC thread, but as for the tweet... a lot has changed since 2008 in terms of politics. That, or maybe the guy wasn't famous or well known as they are now. "Dirty laundry" bounds to happen when someone is famous, or gossip is to go around. It's a different world and time.

Wasn't it some Pro-Trump guy looking to take a shot at the "Liberal Media" so he dug them up? And Disney probably knew about them but didn't care as long as the general public know about them. As soon as people cry wolf, companies seem to need to give them a corpse.

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Wasn't it some Pro-Trump guy looking to take a shot at the "Liberal Media" so he dug them up? And Disney probably knew about them but didn't care as long as the general public know about them. As soon as people cry wolf, companies seem to need to give them a corpse.

Pretty much from my understanding. It's annoying when politics gets in the way of media (outside of the news) that it ruins the enjoyment for fans of the movie industry. I'll have to post in the political containment thread about my feelings about this. It's just a problem now that I have to post about politics in a movie board when I shouldn't have to.

... Moving on from that and getting back to movies, I'm glad DC is getting a comeback now. Was mostly a matter of getting past the Synder hurdle I guess, but it's good they're pushing onward IMO.

Look like fun films. Definitely gonna see sometime. The live action Teen Titans show looks like trash though unfortunately, but the movies will have much more an impact that some streaming service show in the grand scheme of things, so... yeah.

DC aside, that Godzilla trailer also looked hype.

I admit that that Aquaman trailer made it look good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/details-of-batman-animated-series-blu-ray/

Open your wallets.... that Batman Animated Series complete set looking to be $113 for that BR SET!  That said I will have to get it!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/de-niro-in-talks-to-join-the-joker-film/

Interesting if true...... DeNiro gives me a Penguin vibe versus any other Batman character I could think of.

Edited by purple_beard
On 7/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, purple_beard said:

Interesting if true...... DeNiro gives me a Penguin vibe versus any other Batman character I could think of.

The article states "If a deal is closed, De Niro would reportedly play a talk show host who is somehow instrumental in the Joker’s origin." 

When I think DC talk show hosts, I think Jack Ryder. Joker and Ryder have been connected before; in the animated series, it's the Joker that pushes Ryder into the vat of chemicals at Ace Chemicals, transforming him into The Creeper. 

Saw Incredibles 2. 

Although Incredibles beats it some some aspects, I really enjoyed this film. If nothing else, I think the 14 year wait was needed to fine tune a lot of the elements in this film. And I think it paid off, even though some parts were just... okay. I don't expect there to be a third film, now that this film ended on a great note. And I loved that we got to see more of the family, not just Mr. Incredible. But, he gets some really amazing moments too. That "s" after "Incredible" is a plural thing, and each of the family play off their strengths and weaknesses now more than ever. And Jack-Jack... easily is one of the best parts of the film due to his hi-jinx. I felt a bit cautious knowing that people said it's not the hype Pixar promised us before seeing this, but... I feel like I'll be one of the few that say they really found this wonderful. At least I don't have too many faults with it as I did with a movie I saw a few months ago.  

On 7/26/2018 at 10:01 PM, XLW said:

Saw Incredibles 2. 

Although Incredibles beats it some some aspects, I really enjoyed this film. If nothing else, I think the 14 year wait was needed to fine tune a lot of the elements in this film. And I think it paid off, even though some parts were just... okay. I don't expect there to be a third film, now that this film ended on a great note. And I loved that we got to see more of the family, not just Mr. Incredible. But, he gets some really amazing moments too. That "s" after "Incredible" is a plural thing, and each of the family play off their strengths and weaknesses now more than ever. And Jack-Jack... easily is one of the best parts of the film due to his hi-jinx. I felt a bit cautious knowing that people said it's not the hype Pixar promised us before seeing this, but... I feel like I'll be one of the few that say they really found this wonderful. At least I don't have too many faults with it as I did with a movie I saw a few months ago.  

I liked it a lot, too. The action sequences were breathtaking. 

Finally got around to seeing Ant-Man and the Wasp after meaning to go for weeks. Anyway it was a lot of fun, pretty much the same as the first one—solid humor, good action scenes, and since they'd already trained/had the suits for a while the power use was a lot more interesting. It wasn't quite as totally exciting/engaging as recent Marvel films but to be fair it's following a trifecta of outstanding films (Avengers 3, Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok).

On 7/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, purple_beard said:

I admit that that Aquaman trailer made it look good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/details-of-batman-animated-series-blu-ray/

Open your wallets.... that Batman Animated Series complete set looking to be $113 for that BR SET!  That said I will have to get it!

I already have the animated series on dvd including the movies. Not sure if I want to double dip and get blu-ray.

Came out last weekend but now that I finally got to see Christopher Robin, loved it. Was magical seeing not only Winnie the Pooh and friends successfully translated to live action in the current age, but as expected from the trailer, it was a sweet film about an innocent little bear kinda helping his childhood friend through the struggles of adulthood. Jim Cummings back at voicing Pooh was heartwarming all the way through, and Ewan McGregor was good for his role as the titular character too.

2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Came out last weekend but now that I finally got to see Christopher Robin, loved it. Was magical seeing not only Winnie the Pooh and friends successfully translated to live action in the current age, but as expected from the trailer, it was a sweet film about an innocent little bear kinda helping his childhood friend through the struggles of adulthood. Jim Cummings back at voicing Pooh was heartwarming all the way through, and Ewan McGregor was good for his role as the titular character too.

I really struggled with the movie myself.  I thought the Pooh characters were done well via voice acting and presentation.... they literally felt like the correct live action version of themselves.  I kind of knew how the story was going to go once the movie got started.  I think the one thing that bugged me was the dreary cinematography... the overcast tone kind of dampened the spirit of the movie IMO.  I really liked how Pooh was set up though....his way of talking to Christopher Robin and they way the talked to each other about things was very emotional.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Christopher Robin, Ant-Man And The Wasp, and today THE HAPPYTIME MURDERS. 

The first really got to me. The second was good, though I think the first was better, but because of it I'll go TEAM CAP'N. As for the third... this is the first time I will genuinely disagree with the critics. I found it to be a puppet raunchier version of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. Hands down nice puppetry work, and I was able to follow it. 

Saw Crazy Rich Asians. The preview(s) that I saw made it seem like it was a more light toned comedy. I was expecting more along the lines of The Hangover. Maybe because Ken Jeong was in it. But it wasn't that movie at all. There were a few funny scenes but nothing forced at all. It was a pretty serious story and I was hooked from the beginning to end. I enjoyed it. I didn't know it was based on a book. May pick up the sequel novel and see what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw 'Won't you be my Neighbor?'. Loved it. It reminded me of my childhood and that it's never bad to keep your inner child and to remember to be kind towards others. I respect him even more now. Making sure to pick this up on dvd. 10/10

Edited by Doc Brown