General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I have yet to see the original Blade Runner...

Saw "It". Was pretty good 

Watch it!  I don't know how much precedence will carry over from the first one to this one.  About the best "spoiler free" set up I could give is there is this corporation that makes androids called replicants and the perform all kinds of jobs.  Lets say a special sub class of those, based on their design, find out about a flaw in their design so they hijack a ship and head back to Earth to ask questions to their maker about themselves.  Dekert, Harrison Ford, is a "cop/investigator" of sorts with the local PD that hunts down unruly replicants. Lets just say from here on out it brings up the man vs. machine, what makes a human human, how far can AI go....  kind of a lot of the tent-pole subjects brought up in say Ghost in the Shell also get brought up here.  The end is quite satisfying.... and might lead you with more questions than answers.

I saw Battle Of The Sexes. I think it could be either one of the most underrated films of the year, or an Oscar winner. ... It was pretty darn good. Sure, it might have been a "dramatization", but it's one of the best "based on" stories I've ever seen. Though, it might be prove it because some of the subject matter of this movie, which some people and critics don't agree with.  

Edited by XLW

Lots of movies this weekend. 

Kingsman on Friday, fantastically fun. 

Snowden, Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, and Jack Reacher Never Go Back on Sunday. All great. Sorry but Snowden made me hate the American govt even more. 

Today, The Founder. Great movie but holy shit... Feel so bad for the actual founders. 

4 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Lots of movies this weekend. 

Kingsman on Friday, fantastically fun. 

Snowden, Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, and Jack Reacher Never Go Back on Sunday. All great. Sorry but Snowden made me hate the American govt even more. 

Today, The Founder. Great movie but holy shit... Feel so bad for the actual founders. 

The first or second?

Oh dang. 

And interestingly enough... the theater I work at has a McDonalds close to it. 

Edited by XLW
18 hours ago, XLW said:

The Foreigner. 

Take that as you want it to be. 

Is it good?  I'm considering seeing it.  When Jackie Chan went dramatic like Police Story, it just wasn't as good for some reason.  And a lot of his direct to video stuff has seemed kind of beneath him IMO.  The  Spy Next Door I had to quit after 15m as it was sooooooooooooo bad and soooooooooooooo lame.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Is it good?  I'm considering seeing it.  When Jackie Chan went dramatic like Police Story, it just wasn't as good for some reason.  And a lot of his direct to video stuff has seemed kind of beneath him IMO.  The  Spy Next Door I had to quit after 15m as it was sooooooooooooo bad and soooooooooooooo lame.

I found it nearly flawless. 10/10. This is one of Chan's best roles, even if he's more dramatic in this role. I mean it. This rivals Mr. Miyamagi in Karate Kid. He should have a nomination in his pocket. I can't say more, because... JACKCHANSLOPION.  

Even Pierce Brosnam's in it, and I didn't know it until after the movie. That shocked me. 

Now, there are a few complaints regarding the movie from other people who watched him.

Sorry guys, this is not 007 vs. Jackie Chan. This is a serious revenge story. But, he plays his part effectively in this film.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For those who want to know if this IS 007 vs. Jackie Chan. 

He makes up like 50% to 75% of the film, because most of the other stuff ties into the plot. People criticize this film for not having too much Jackie, forgetting there's an entire ensemble that works well within this story. I mentioned Pierce Brosnam. Plus, it really builds up the tension of Chan's character and what he might do next. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This is important if you really love Jackie Chan, and expect him to be in most all of the film.

There's also another criticism regarding the bombers' motives themselves, but I understood the context, and let it play out. 

The movie is brilliant. As for the stuff Chan goes through... what he does rivals Atomic Blonde and Baby Driver in terms of best stunts of the year. 

After I watched the Lego Ninjago Movie, it was a complete 180 to see him in such a different role. It really works here. DEAD SERIOUS. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I watched Friday The 13th. (SHOCKER, WHAT A DAY THIS IS.) 

If there was one chief problem, it's this: 

HAVE THESE TEENAGERS OR YOUNG ADULTS NEVER HEARD OF THE BUDDY SYSTEM?! THEY'RE CAMP COUNSELORS.

Still, for being one of the most iconic horror movie films, it was really enjoyable. Even if the ending was... laughable. No, serious, as I was watching this in a theater, a lot of people laughed at the ridiculous ending. 

11 hours ago, XLW said:

I found it nearly flawless. 10/10. This is one of Chan's best roles, even if he's more dramatic in this role. I mean it. This rivals Mr. Miyamagi in Karate Kid. He should have a nomination in his pocket. I can't say more, because... JACKCHANSLOPION.  

Even Pierce Brosnam's in it, and I didn't know it until after the movie. That shocked me. 

Now, there are a few complaints regarding the movie from other people who watched him.

Hide contents

Sorry guys, this is not 007 vs. Jackie Chan. This is a serious revenge story. But, he plays his part effectively in this film.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For those who want to know if this IS 007 vs. Jackie Chan. 

Hide contents

He makes up like 50% to 75% of the film, because most of the other stuff ties into the plot. People criticize this film for not having too much Jackie, forgetting there's an entire ensemble that works well within this story. I mentioned Pierce Brosnam. Plus, it really builds up the tension of Chan's character and what he might do next. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This is important if you really love Jackie Chan, and expect him to be in most all of the film.

There's also another criticism regarding the bombers' motives themselves, but I understood the context, and let it play out. 

The movie is brilliant. As for the stuff Chan goes through... what he does rivals Atomic Blonde and Baby Driver in terms of best stunts of the year. 

After I watched the Lego Ninjago Movie, it was a complete 180 to see him in such a different role. It really works here. DEAD SERIOUS. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I watched Friday The 13th. (SHOCKER, WHAT A DAY THIS IS.) 

If there was one chief problem, it's this: 

Hide contents

HAVE THESE TEENAGERS OR YOUNG ADULTS NEVER HEARD OF THE BUDDY SYSTEM?! THEY'RE CAMP COUNSELORS.

Still, for being one of the most iconic horror movie films, it was really enjoyable. Even if the ending was... laughable. No, serious, as I was watching this in a theater, a lot of people laughed at the ridiculous ending. 

I mean yeah, most of his 80s and onward stuff was more comedic in tone and with crazy martial arts action....  I don't mind him going more serious but like I was getting at with Police Story, it while more serious it just wasn't as good either.... kind of that Robin Williams effect... if he's not full bore crazy it doesn't feel right even if his serious turns in something like Half Hour Photo or Insomnia are just as good.  Arguably, in those two it was way more creepy seeing hm slowed down and acting normal that made it more visceral.

54 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I mean yeah, most of his 80s and onward stuff was more comedic in tone and with crazy martial arts action....  I don't mind him going more serious but like I was getting at with Police Story, it while more serious it just wasn't as good either.... kind of that Robin Williams effect... if he's not full bore crazy it doesn't feel right even if his serious turns in something like Half Hour Photo or Insomnia are just as good.  Arguably, in those two it was way more creepy seeing hm slowed down and acting normal that made it more visceral.

Then The Foreigner might be the choice for you. His character is down to earth, but his fights are paced well, serious, and brutal. His background in this story, while I am not going to spoil it, makes what he does make sense. Throughout all of the film, I wondered if he could get his objective. 'Cause bringing bombers to justice isn't as easy as it seems.  

He does a lot more than stunt work in this movie. But, trust me, Chan's character is really effective when it counts. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For those wondering if this movie is mostly stunt work from him. 

The role he plays in this is so phenomenal, that I dare say he should get an Oscar nomination. His core characteristics (His "Who", his "What", his "Why", and his "How") stand out well in this film.  

His character is believable. If you think I don't believe in his character, why did I spent my time talking about this?  

But, like I said before, the ensemble also do well in their roles. So don't just watch this because it has Jackie Chan. Also watch it because the whole entire cast are worth investing in, IMO.  

What do you think is a good "ensemble" film? Don't say any kind of musical movies, cause those are cheap shots.  

I think one is Kung Fu Panda. While the story is centered around Po's drive to become the best, it has the Furious Five, Master Shift and Oogway, Tai Lung, Mr. Ping, and a good amount of other characters that have reason to be in the film.

Edited by XLW

That moment I realized part of my childhood was a lie when I learned that Chan didn't actually voice himself in the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon... It was someone else.

Movie-wise, haven't seen anything with him in awhile, but some of my favorites were like the Shanghai films, corny as they kinda are now. Good to see The Foreigner is well received though.

Hmmm it would be interesting for some folks to rank their top Jackie Chan films....  I wonder how far back some folks frame of reference is ....  I've seen a good percentage of his early 80s stuff.  I want to say in the 70s he was mainly a background guy sans just a handful of films.

Some old school titles I'd throw out...

Legend of Drunken Master ( first one only had a few good parts, the sequel was much better overall)

Project A

Wheels on Meals ( had some good fight scenes)

Supercop

Rumble in the Bronx

Who Am I

*I'd have to pull up IMDB for others I have seen...

Someone bet me $20 to see the MLP and odered me a ticket to see it in theaters.... .... .... .... ... it was kinda eh. Liked Tempest with her tragic backstory but the rest of the movie was just boring. 

The best song is when Tempest sings about why she became so cold and bitter and stuff. Other than that the other songs were meh 

Edited by Kirbymeister2
14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I just saw the third Mad Max last night. Finally finished the trilogy. Pretty good. Thought the third one would have been more intense. Was surprised to see that it wasn't.

3rd should be Beyond Thunderdome...  I didn't think it was less intense than the others.  Have you seen Fury Road?  I think you can get the 4 pack on BR pretty cheap now.

*I bought FR way before they went official in doing that Black And White (called black and chrome) edition and I wasn't going to double dip for that but I have to admit, Logan in B&W was  a different beast than the color version... I can't put my finger on why... I can just say that it was.

31 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

3rd should be Beyond Thunderdome...  I didn't think it was less intense than the others.  Have you seen Fury Road?  I think you can get the 4 pack on BR pretty cheap now.

*I bought FR way before they went official in doing that Black And White (called black and chrome) edition and I wasn't going to double dip for that but I have to admit, Logan in B&W was  a different beast than the color version... I can't put my finger on why... I can just say that it was.

I just meant violence wise in some parts and less graphic language. The first two were R rated, the third was PG-13. I was more used to the earlier ones tone. Yes I have. Liked it better than the movies looking back on it.

Wow. Interesting. I liked it, but my mom didn't. She thought it reminded her of Little Miss Sunshine and she hated that movie. I do too for what it's worth, but I think that Logan was better written and paced than Little Miss Sunshine.

Since starting my job at the movie theater back in April, I've gotten to see free movies whenever I want. Here's a list of what I've seen this year (so far :P )

The Lego Batman Movie

Logan

Kong: Skull Island

Power Rangers

Ghost in the Shell

The Circle

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Alien Covenant

Wonder Woman

The Mummy

Baby Driver

Spider-Man: Homecoming

War for the Planet of the Apes

Dunkirk

Terminator 2: 3D

IT

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Blade Runner 2049

The Foreigner

As far as my favorite and least favorite movies I've seen this year so far, they'd be:

Best: 

Kong: Skull Island

Ghost in the Shell

Wonder Woman

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

IT

Blade Runner 2049

Worst:

The Circle

The Mummy

Reason why there's not many bad movies I've seen this year is because I usually don't go see something I think will suck. I was genuinely interested in see The Mummy, but it was just bland and completely forgettable. The Circle was just dumb and didn't make any sense. As far as my favorites this year, I loved Kong: Skull Island. Was a great retelling of the classic 1933 film. Ghost in the Shell, I thought, was better than the anime. Loved Scarlett Johanson as the major, and the visuals were really nice! Wonder Woman was just an overall great movie, loved the WW1 setting and Gal Gadot and Chris Pine's performances. Baby Driver was probably the most fun I've had at the movies this year. Great acting, driving sequences, and action. Dunkirk was another great film from Christopher Nolan, and probably my favorite war movie I've seen! IT was genuinely scary and make me jump out of my seat a few times, which is rare for me with horror movies! Finally, Blade Runner 2049 is probably my favorite movie this year so far! Loved every second of it, and plan on seeing it again soon :D

So there ya go, a long-winded list of what I've seen this year, so far, lol. There's still a lot I plan on seeing this year including Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League, Coco, The Disaster Artist, The Shape of Water, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Curious to know everyone else's movie experiences this year so far, thanks for reading! :) 

Samus2008