General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Jumanji sequel starring The Rock, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black

Power Rangers with Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Banks as the villains

John Favreau directing a live-action The Lion King

The Mummy being rebooted with Tom Cruise as the lead

There, I got the ball rolling, take it from here.

Edited by EH_STEVE

As part of a weekly Bad Movie Night with a few friends, I saw a horrible martial arts flick last week called Spirits of Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was dead by the time this movie was made. The majority of the dubbing was all done by one guy who prefaced every sentence with an indiscernible mob boss-like "Meeeeh." So all of the characters ended up sounding like Waluigi. 

Edited by Laclipsey
1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Jumanji sequel starring The Rock, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black

Power Rangers with Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Banks as the villains

John Favreau directing a live-action The Lion King

The Mummy being rebooted with Tom Cruise as the lead

There, I got the ball rolling, take it from here.

Are these serious things that are going to be taking place??? Because most of them sound terrible.

Wait what, why would they reboot The Mummy with Tom Cruise as the lead. At least get a younger actor or something. As if Tom Cruise needs to star in more action movie franchises. To be honest I kind of have a soft spot for The Mummy movies, though. They're not outstanding films but they're fun adventure movies in the spirit of early 20th century pulp fiction, the kind that are good to watch with one eye while you're doing something else.

Last movie I saw was Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, the Lonely Island movie. I'm kind of surprised it did as poorly as it did commercially. It's not wildly hilarious but there are good jokes and I had just assumed that The Lonely Island was popular enough to at least break even at the US box office. Also I can't believe how many music industry cameos they managed to get for the film.

There's probably gonna be a Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe and a Hasbro Cinematic Universe where the Transformers meet G.I. Joe.  I'm not even joking.

Speaking of cinematic universes, who here is excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming?  Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and I really hope his first outing in the MCU ends up being as much of a big deal as the 2002 Spider-Man movie was when it came out.  Which would mean merchandising everywhere.  Who else here is excited?

Speaking of toy companies like Hasbro, BTW, what are you guys' thoughts on the Max Steel movie?  Is it gonna suck?

Edited by Yehu Bihdi

Nostalgia sells and opening weekend is when they bring in the most money, so trick enough people to go opening weekend to turn a profit then who cares? They won't listen to critics or reviews because it's something from their past they'll want to see regardless.

A sidenote on "The Mummy":

It's actually based on the original 1930s movie, which the Brendan Fraser movie used little of the original material, this new one plans to follow it a lot more closely. The studio making it (can't remember the name) is planning to redo a bunch of classic "monster" movies for a modern age, but still sticking close to the source material. This is the second movie, with "Dracula: Untold" being their first. So some people don't see this as a "reboot" but to me, when there's an established franchise of the same name and you're going to use the same name and reference the same source material but change the cast and continuity, it's a reboot.

As for The Lion King, well the Jungle Book that Favreau did was fantastic so I'm all for this.

I miss seeing Brendan Fraser, and was a big fan of the Mummy movies. I will admit I never saw the third one. I plan on to.

To me, having Tom Cruise replace Fraser as the lead is kind of a knock. Fraser always played his roles humbly. Cruise usually plays them as himself: a tool full of himself. I think that's why I liked Edge of Tomorrow so much, as the character he was playing was knocked down a few pegs in the beginning, and it felt more like a character journey---rather than Cruise just being the hero again.

On 9/29/2016 at 3:02 AM, Yehu Bihdi said:

Hasbro Cinematic Universe where the Transformers meet G.I. Joe.  I'm not even joking.

They did cross over in their G1 cartoon series and comic books.  I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it if they did it right.  And in all honesty, I think G.I. Joe would be the problem in this because in the two movies they have left out roles of a lot of the major Joe characters and only did a handful of what they did have justice.

Instead of remaking old classics, why don't movie theaters just show the originals again? Seriously, I mean, the remake excuse of wanting to "introduce older franchises to a younger audience" falls flat on its face when all you have to do is provide the younger generation the actual fucking movie. Hell, that actually happened a few times with Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters a few years ago (before Jurassic World and Ghostbusters 2016 were even a thing).

I just...why?

Edited by Grimlock VIII

My husband was on a trip with work over the weekend, so I had the opportunity to watch a bunch of horror movies; it was great! My husband doesn't like them but I've always loved them, so it was nice to have an excuse to steal the TV for myself. Ended up watching 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Visit, Crimson Peak, and The Witch, all of which were pretty fun.

My biggest sad face right now is that "The Girl with all the Gifts" apparently isn't getting a theatrical release here. :<