General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

I saw the live-action Disney's The Little Mermaid (I only went because my mom wanted to see it) and tbh, it was pretty good. I enjoyed it way more than I expected.

Melissa McCarthy as Ursula... WOW! Absolutely fantastic!

If I have any minor gripes, I felt the person who did the voice for Sebastian should have had a heavier Jamaican accent. Also, I felt the person who did the voice for Scuttle sounded a bit off at times, though for the most part it was great! 

I finally watched Star Trek: Picard! I should have watched it sooner, given how much I love Star Trek.

Somehow my little bro. got Paramount+ for free do to a bug/glitch on their end. He signed up for a free trial and when he went to cancel it when the trial was up, he kept getting an error. He contacted customer support to make sure it was canceled and they said he didn't he didn't sub or whatever...Basically they were no help. Every time you try to log into his account and manage your sub/payment you get an error. My dad has even tried to login and add a new card and still got an error. It's been like this for a little over a year or so, and he still has yet to be charged (not like they can anyway, since the card he used for the trial has since expired). You'd think logging out of the app and signing back in would fix this, but nope! We've logged in on multiple devices and it still says there's an active monthly sub on his account. So, we have a free P+ account until they catch on and fix this, if ever (not sure if this has happened to others).

Anway... I've only finished Season 1 of Star Trek: Picard so far and was pretty good! I really enjoyed the story, though there were some parts that didn't really feel like Star Trek (universe wise). I kind of don't like how everything Star Trek nowadays has to have the "style" of the 3 recent movies, if you know what I mean. One minor gripe I have is with the ending. Not to spoil things, but if they were just going to do that, then why did that one thing need to happen (referring to J.L.)? Maybe they planned to play into this in seasons 2 and 3? I heard some people didn't really like Season 1 (I guess it wasn't what some were expecting), Season 2 I heard was pretty grate, and Season 3 is supposed to be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to watching the other 2 seasons, especially Season 3.

If you like Star Trek and have P+ (I believe season 1 is also on dvd/blu-ray, not sure about season 2) and haven't watched ST: Picard yet, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Though, I'd highly recommend watching Star Trek: Nemesis first if you haven't seen it, because the keep mentioning the big spoiler-y thing that happens at the end of that movie.

I saw the new Spiderverse movie and it was DAMN GOOD!!! ...Way better than the first one, even though that the first one was pretty great. That ending though! "To be continued." *very minor spoiler, if you'd even consider it one* I literally screamed "WHAT?! NOOO!!!!" :D 

This move... The animation, music, story. FANTASTIC! If you loved the first Spiderverse you have to see this one. ...And the 3rd one ("part 2" - Beyond the Spiderverse) whenever it comes out.

Also, I picked up one of these at BK... :)

JMYWVZD.png

fxtlWio.png

13 hours ago, alienboyva said:

I saw the new Spiderverse movie and it was DAMN GOOD!!! ...Way better than the first one, even though that the first one was pretty great. That ending though! "To be continued." *very minor spoiler, if you'd even consider it one* I literally screamed "WHAT?! NOOO!!!!" :D 

This move... The animation, music, story. FANTASTIC! If you loved the first Spiderverse you have to see this one. ...And the 3rd one ("part 2" - Beyond the Spiderverse) whenever it comes out.

Also, I picked up one of these at BK... :)

JMYWVZD.png

fxtlWio.png

I've been saying this to anyone who has not seen this movie to describe it one word, 'Heart'.

Like the first movie had that but this one really brings every character on screen to life with their motivations of what they do in this movie. It is strong, it is great.

A must watch movie and even more so for Spider-Man fans as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw The Flash movie and it was pretty good. Though, they took some pages from Marvel's book with other members of the team showing up/helping out and multiverse stuff. It was really cool seeing Keaton back as Batman and everyone in the theater lost it when Clooney Bruce Wayne (the "worst" Batman) showed up at the end. XD

I knew I was forgetting to post here about the Flash movie.

Enjoyed the movie as well.

17 hours ago, alienboyva said:

I saw The Flash movie and it was pretty good. Though, they took some pages from Marvel's book with other members of the team showing up/helping out and multiverse stuff. It was really cool seeing Keaton back as Batman and everyone in the theater lost it when Clooney Bruce Wayne (the "worst" Batman) showed up at the end. XD

Hold on...unless my memory was a little hazy, I thought the film ppl hated Batman was Val Kilmer not George Clooney.

44 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Hold on...unless my memory was a little hazy, I thought the film ppl hated Batman was Val Kilmer not George Clooney.

While Batman Forever isn't great, Batman and Robin is still considered the worst. ...Which, is the whole point of the joke of having Clooney show at the end of The Flash.

5 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

While Batman Forever isn't great, Batman and Robin is still considered the worst. ...Which, is the whole point of the joke of having Clooney show at the end of The Flash.

I know I wasn't imagining things. Yeah, it's coming back to me how Batman and Robin were. Tho both were horrible, I actually had a good time watching it. When I was a kid ofc, to me at the time. I haven't watched that movie for like over a decade. I may have to see how my adult eyes see it now, lol.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Batman Forever was my favourite for the longest time. Then Batman Begins came out and took over. Then I actually rewatched it.... The Burton ones are better.

Almost pretty much..... nvm.

Like the Burton films have the most different and nostalgia feel for Batman of course. Batman Begin Trilogy wasn't that bad and is one of my fave Batman films, especially and I think most will agree; The Dark Knight. Looking back on it, there's flaws but it's one of the best Batman live action films.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:56 AM, DLurkster said:

Batman and Robin was hot garbage.   Batman Forever was the starting point of the og 4 downturn.  B&R took the bad from Forever and amplified it and made it worse.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, EH_STEVE said:

Batman Forever was my favourite for the longest time. Then Batman Begins came out and took over. Then I actually rewatched it.... The Burton ones are better.

Hmmm.

Keaton's 2 are best of that 4 pack.  I like Forever as well, but it had issues.  Bale's trilogy was a needed course correction.   I probably like 2>1>3 in that regard,  but all of them were at worst were decent, but 3 definitely could have been edited shorter. I am kind of disappointed they did follow through on that end teaser.

Super short thoughts:

Fast X:

Not bad as an action movie, but where this franchise has gone from to what they've morphed it to make me have more questions than answers about its direction as a franchise. Also, it's starting to feel like they are milking what goodwill they have left with it.

Spiderverse:

Solid movie, but that ending cliffhanger O_O

Transformers:

Not bad, but they seem to keep just missing "the thing " to make them great.

The Flash:

Solid movie. DCU being reset kind of kills a lot of cool points and homages of the movie.  I thought they had a good cast going for a Justice League/character movie universe ala Avengers but they keep not getting it 100% right .  I'm glad that in reality it wasn't all about the return of Keaton though and I thought Ezra kept the youthful nature of the Flash in tact. It was an interesting comparison to the tv show rendition of the same plotline from a few years ago.

39 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Super short thoughts:

Fast X:

Not bad as an action movie, but where this franchise has gone from to what they've morphed it to make me have more questions than answers about its direction as a franchise. Also, it's starting to feel like they are milking what goodwill they have left with it.

Well, from what I heard, the next one is the LAST. As someone who thought it should've ended with Walker's passing about nine years ago, good riddance. 

54 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Batman and Robin was hot garbage.   Batman Forever was the starting point of the og 4 downturn.  B&R took the bad from Forever and amplified it and made it worse.

I’d unironically rather rewatch Batman and Robin than a lot of the DCEU’s garbage like Birds of Prey, the first Suicide Squad, etc. B&R turned out the way it did because WB told the director to make it mostly in a way in which it could sell toys like with all the vehicles, but the film with its neon style of Gotham at least entertained me. Arnold Freeze I would take over Jared Leto Joker or Jesse Eisenberg Luthor. Uma Therman at least looked the part for Poison Ivy but unfortunately wasn’t well acted. That said, Bane was the worst part (oh, and Batgirl), but The Dark Knight Rises didn’t do all too well by him either. Both times he was a henchman for a woman, but Ivy I could at least make sense of having some influence over him since his venom comes from plants.

Far as Batman Forever, Jim Carrey Riddler only got more cringe as time went on, but the goofy Two-Face killed it in the long run. I honestly put Forever and B&R in the same tier, with neither being that much better than the other.

Frankly, seeing The Flash crash and burn after all the bad marketing is really cathartic. The entire movie just screamed "corporate", from all the unnecessary and terribly executed cameos to the use of dead people’s faces through AI, just to prop up a movie that they clearly had no confidence in otherwise to the absurd astroturfing campaign they tried to salvage Ezra Miller’s reputation.

12 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Well, from what I heard, the next one is the LAST. As someone who thought it should've ended with Walker's passing about nine years ago, good riddance. 

When they dropped the strict street racer scene in favor of all this expanded secret agent stuff and character reincarnation stuff, it's gotten off the rails.

56 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I’d unironically rather rewatch Batman and Robin than a lot of the DCEU’s garbage like Birds of Prey, the first Suicide Squad, etc. B&R turned out the way it did because WB told the director to make it mostly in a way in which it could sell toys like with all the vehicles, but the film with its neon style of Gotham at least entertained me. Arnold Freeze I would take over Jared Leto Joker or Jesse Eisenberg Luthor. Uma Therman at least looked the part for Poison Ivy but unfortunately wasn’t well acted. That said, Bane was the worst part (oh, and Batgirl), but The Dark Knight Rises didn’t do all too well by him either. Both times he was a henchman for a woman, but Ivy I could at least make sense of having some influence over him since his venom comes from plants.

Far as Batman Forever, Jim Carrey Riddler only got more cringe as time went on, but the goofy Two-Face killed it in the long run. I honestly put Forever and B&R in the same tier, with neither being that much better than the other.

Frankly, seeing The Flash crash and burn after all the bad marketing is really cathartic. The entire movie just screamed "corporate", from all the unnecessary and terribly executed cameos to the use of dead people’s faces through AI, just to prop up a movie that they clearly had no confidence in otherwise to the absurd astroturfing campaign they tried to salvage Ezra Miller’s reputation.

Hmm.... as a non comic side of things fan, I'm on the movie/animated/tv side of things as far as digesting superhero content...

SS #1: Interesting, but without any real connection to the characters, I had to take it as is, and I didn't overly like how the plot rolled out in regard to the main villain.... Waller on the other hand, was a good tie in.  I agree on your take with Joker.  He didn't do it for me at all.

SS #2: I liked this one A LOT MORE than the first, but again, a lot of the characters I had no connection to so I had to take them as is from the movie.  I thought the plot and the action rolled out a lot better.

BoP: Came off as a star vehicle for Robbie, who arguably stole the show in SS #1.  It had its moments, and I didn't dislike it, but without any connection to the collective and not overly feeling the main villain's whole deal, I came off as a neutral fan of it...not bad, but not great--just kind of there.

On BF, I agree, with you...but I could forgive somethings in it for being a one off with the two new villains, but also having some cool plotlines with Bruce Wayne/Batman's childhood trauma.  But B&R took everything I hated about BF and took it to an extreme level.  Didn't like the overly neon lighting.  Jim Carey was a little over the top, but he did deliver some good lines, but the end at the island fortress had some cringe moments for sure.  Two-Face was cool from TLJ, but he seemed to be overly campy to match up to the Riddler.  Two Face and Riddler's team chemistry was kind of wild.  I liked Val and Nicole's onscreen chemistry.  Robin coming into the fold was cool.  I thought he was pretty solid.  But, when they got to B&R, upping the neon was bad; Bane, Mr. Freeze, Ivy, and several other characters came off way over the top/too campy; Batgirl was a interesting play, I can't blame ___ for her acting...it felt more like a victim of the story.

I thought the Flash came off good.  I'm glad that in-movie the Keaton Batman wasn't overdone like the commercials/trailers lead me to believe.  I thought Ezra came off good in terms of how I saw the tv series story of the same plotline play out.  He did have some cringe moments though--like they felt out of place.  That said, some other moments, if you watched Justice League on tv, he was a comic relief kind of character against Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.  It just kind of sucks that DC had some good actors in place for their live action roles for the Justice League DCU but somehow couldn't get their acts together with the individual spin off movies and the team ups unlike Marvel.  Its crazy to me that DC just can't seem to get its movies together for certain characters.... of which they have a good assortment.  I mean, how can you not do a good Superman?  Wonder Woman seems way to easy to do.  The Flash tv show makes it seem like a movie for him is a smart move.  Aquaman, based on 1st movie, has a lot of potential to be good.   All that said, they go and reset the entire DCU this year, and thus scrap everything they had been working on.  Now all of the tie-ins in progress feel off and you go in knowing DC isn't committed to it.  That said, with films like The Joker, they can do odd spinoff things well.  I thought that tale of the Batman universe in relation to Joker was quite interesting.

30 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

James Gunn doesn’t miss. He’s got this. Also, the new Superman apparently said this in 2019-

Screenshot_20230627_162816_Firefox_Nightly.thumb.jpeg.ba36094fa04c18ec4382e4884c591af6.jpeg

Reserves any judgement till I see the actual product.

Christopher Reeves first two are legendary movies, however 3 & 4 of his were bad.

Brandon Routh (?) Superman Returns was ok, but lacked the action needed for a Superman movie.

Dean Kane(?) for Lois and Clark got good reviews, I've never seen it.

___ as part of Supergirl on CW was decent for TV.

Cavil's turns as Superman of late were fairly good, I think he needed at least another real movie as the character though--Man of Steel was an origin story of sorts with lots of cool backstory put in.  And as part of the DCU with Justice League and Batman vs. Superman... did the character justice, but was more a victim of how the movies were done, than his own effort.