General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

I saw the new Thor movie and it was pretty good (I totally dig the 80's rock vibe with the logo and music). Though, don't go into this expecting this big/epic Marvel movie. I'd say, it's more of a filler Marvel movie, if you know I mean. I wouldn't have been disappointed if this went straight to Disney+. One part however, hit home a little too hard... I'm referring to when Thor finds out Jane has stage 4 cancer, and eventually ends up passing away from it. I lost my Aunt back in October (2021) from stage 4 liver cancer, so... I was totally not expecting this when going into this movie. 😭

I had read up on the title Love and Thunder referred to Jane getting the hammer as a cure for her cancer..... they way the story played out in the movie was interesting way to do it.  The music and homage to band logos was very interesting LOL.

IMO, it ranks below Ragnarok but above Dark World... so #2 in my book for Thor movies.  Bale's character was very interesting.  The two credits scenes were quite good.  I do agree with some movie critic statments I have read about the flow not feeling cohesive.  I really enjoyed Jane's Thor.

I loved Thor: Love And Thunder. 

Spoiler

Even if they took that cancer bit from Jane's mom straight from the first Guardians movie. 

As for the pacing... I don't know. Thor has always had quirky feeling to it. Still, since Loki's not in the MCU as of now, it's really hard for any one to bounce off of Thor's nature. Though, maybe the parts with thegoats got really old, even if they were used for plot reasons... 

It was probably paced a little better than The Eternals... 

Spoiler

Even if I like that movie for lore reasons. 

By the way... speaking of Marvel... 

Bad guys questions. Mostly from those who have seen most of the movies of Stage 4 as of now. 

Spoiler

So, from The Eternals, we got the creator or whatever. 

From Shang-Chi, possibly some other bad guy. 

From Black Widow, that assassin who was friends with her. 

From Dr. Strange, that unseen end credits thing. 

And now as of this weekend, Hercules and possibly Zeus.

Please focus on another huge threat, like Thanos, guys. That's like five bad guys who we barely know as of now. 

6 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I loved Thor: Love And Thunder. 

Hide contents

Even if they took that cancer bit from Jane's mom straight from the first Guardians movie. 

As for the pacing... I don't know. Thor has always had quirky feeling to it. Still, since Loki's not in the MCU as of now, it's really hard for any one to bounce off of Thor's nature. Though, maybe the parts with thegoats got really old, even if they were used for plot reasons... 

It was probably paced a little better than The Eternals... 

Reveal hidden contents

Even if I like that movie for lore reasons. 

By the way... speaking of Marvel... 

Bad guys questions. Mostly from those who have seen most of the movies of Stage 4 as of now. 

Hide contents

So, from The Eternals, we got the creator or whatever. 

From Shang-Chi, possibly some other bad guy. 

From Black Widow, that assassin who was friends with her. 

From Dr. Strange, that unseen end credits thing. 

And now as of this weekend, Hercules and possibly Zeus.

Please focus on another huge threat, like Thanos, guys. That's like five bad guys who we barely know as of now. 

There is another Thanos-level in play, technically already introduced, likely to be further intro'd in the upcoming Ant-Man

Finally seen Thor Love and Thunder. I look at this movie how I like OOT and MM equally for different reasons. I like Ragnarok for one reason more that isn't in Love and Thunder and the reverse is true with Love and Thunder that isn't in Ragnarok. Basically a tie in terms what I did like and not like from the last 2 standalone movies. I agree that this latest one despite being 2hrs long (a bit short) it suffers from pacing. Especially explaining Gor and Mighty Thor in more detail and not some off screen, oh I explain it in a middle of going from one scene to another to save time or whatever.

Also, because this is standalone, I have no idea where this movie takes place after Endgrame? But they did that on purpose cause it is solely Thor focused movie and not on any world changing aspects like some of the phase 4 movies so far. Like you see Kat Dennings characters in this movie but she was in Wandavision which is if you watch that show is 2 weeks after Endgame. So when we see her, how long was that after Wandavision then?

Spoiler

As for all these phase 4 marvel threats, I think the only reason there's so many is that none or almost none will matter. Cause since Far from Home we have flirted with multiverses. (That movie was supposed to kick off phrase 4 but we all know where that honor fell to...) What I am getting at is there's no consequences for action or ppl right now with multiverses being further and further developed in phase 4, no matter how much you like it or not.

All I wanna see is secret wars so we can get literal worlds collide for the last time and we can maybe get back to some focus on what this phase wants to do. Will Ant-Man start or do that, maybe? We will see.

30 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Finally seen Thor Love and Thunder. I look at this movie how I like OOT and MM equally for different reasons. I like Ragnarok for one reason more that isn't in Love and Thunder and the reverse is true with Love and Thunder that isn't in Ragnarok. Basically a tie in terms what I did like and not like from the last 2 standalone movies. I agree that this latest one despite being 2hrs long (a bit short) it suffers from pacing. Especially explaining Gor and Mighty Thor in more detail and not some off screen, oh I explain it in a middle of going from one scene to another to save time or whatever.

Also, because this is standalone, I have no idea where this movie takes place after Endgrame? But they did that on purpose cause it is solely Thor focused movie and not on any world changing aspects like some of the phase 4 movies so far. Like you see Kat Dennings characters in this movie but she was in Wandavision which is if you watch that show is 2 weeks after Endgame. So when we see her, how long was that after Wandavision then?

Reveal hidden contents

As for all these phase 4 marvel threats, I think the only reason there's so many is that none or almost none will matter. Cause since Far from Home we have flirted with multiverses. (That movie was supposed to kick off phrase 4 but we all know where that honor fell to...) What I am getting at is there's no consequences for action or ppl right now with multiverses being further and further developed in phase 4, no matter how much you like it or not.

All I wanna see is secret wars so we can get literal worlds collide for the last time and we can maybe get back to some focus on what this phase wants to do. Will Ant-Man start or do that, maybe? We will see.

Still some Captain Marvel sequel stuff not touched yet....  Also, via the ending of Loki....   And then to throw in, how would, the Fantastic Four and possibly X-Men reboots under the new MCU could have their ties...   and technically F4 had Galactus...  I doubt Deadpool gets in anything right now....    And I agree, there is the whole multiverse thing out there...   But they have to get close to resolving stuff set up with Eternals and Shang-Chi.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Still some Captain Marvel sequel stuff not touched yet....  Also, via the ending of Loki....   And then to throw in, how would, the Fantastic Four and possibly X-Men reboots under the new MCU could have their ties...   and technically F4 had Galactus...  I doubt Deadpool gets in anything right now....    And I agree, there is the whole multiverse thing out there...   But they have to get close to resolving stuff set up with Eternals and Shang-Chi.

Tho, I don't all aspects of the secret wars. What the important takeaways is the battle of all worlds, that's the beauty I at least see with Marvel's phase 4 and the multiverse right. I have my concerns like some that there's no consequences for action and characters moving forward cause we could see old characters who died before phase come back, new ones as you mentioned with the x-men and fantastic 4. They have been slowly dropping subtle hints of the last 2 Marvel groups.

So to me the secret wars is the answer how those characters come about, old ones maybe and consequences as well. So tho, I am worried for the time being with phase 4 a bit with multiverse and no consequences, all the possible floating fodder of events to come to decide what phase is about will mean nothing when secret wars will wipe out or reset anew stage for marvel's MCU for phase 4, to me again. It's just how I see it, will be this, dunno but I have faith Marvel will find what they need to do to accomplish their end goal for phase 4. 

Lightyear/theater
---For all the hate on this movie.... I come out of watching it with a mixed bag of thoughts. Not as bas as they have said, but it does have its own issues. Not sure on some of the plays they made with it but I found Chris Evans fine with real /adult Buzz, I loved the "cat r2d2" character, and I found some of the action and story to be ok. However, the TWIST... I was not that ok with even if I found it an interesting play.

Star Wars: The Dark Batch/D+
--Really digging this series so far.... the Kimino people are making it more interesting.... and from Episode 2, I don't find some of this too out of character for them.

Ms. Marvel/D+
--Overall series was ok, but again, it felt like a teaser for something more.... which I believe is true as it appears to tie in to Captain Marvel's 2nd movie.

5 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Still more excited for Black Adam, but this looks okay for a December release.

For me I am equally excited for both. I agree with PB that this movie should be as good or better than the first one. That's not to say it will better than Black Adam but I want both of these movies to do well and look forward to both equally.

I've been up most of the morning catching up on the Marvel announcements.  I know a lot of people haven't been too hot on Phase 4 and feeling like it has been aimless but I think Phase 4 has done a great job in setting the foundation that Phases 5 & 6 will carry the torch on.  It took time for the Infinity Saga to ramp up to its highs ahead of Phase 3 finishing up and the pay off was all the better for it.  I expect the same for the now titled "Multiverse Saga".

5 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I've been up most of the morning catching up on the Marvel announcements.  I know a lot of people haven't been too hot on Phase 4 and feeling like it has been aimless but I think Phase 4 has done a great job in setting the foundation that Phases 5 & 6 will carry the torch on.  It took time for the Infinity Saga to ramp up to its highs ahead of Phase 3 finishing up and the pay off was all the better for it.  I expect the same for the now titled "Multiverse Saga".

I think when all this started that if that first iron man didn't do the business it did we wouldn't have gotten this far with it.  Then to basically nail actors and stories to get you to captain America, Thor, Avengers, guardians of the galaxy, ant-man....to Spiderman....   now you are having to transition out into the next wave...  it's tough, but they haven't done a BAD MCU movie yet....keeping the run going wil be tough because of having to transition out of major characters to mid/lower level characters as well as incorporating the FOX properties...   Along with the complicated synergy of movies, tv, and animation....  while battling super hero fatigue...

Yeah, I have friend was like watching this stuff live. I believe was in Smash night when the announcements were happening so I silenced my phone so I wouldn't get so many notifications.

But yeah, for me I didn't watch all the Marvel stuff from the beginning for me it was in the 2010 2011 so I didn't quite experience the slow burn of the beginning phase of the MCU so in retrospect, I wonder those who think the phase 4 wasn't that hot are like me or came on the ride a little later when things started to really rev up regardless despite how anyone looks at phase 4 we had some goodies to me. Wandavision, Loki, Hawkeye, Falcon and the Winter Solider, Shang-Chi, Eternals, No Way Home, Ms. Marvel and Thor Love and Thunder to name a few . There's a few to me that didn't land with me in phase 4 but I list quite a bit of shows and movies from phase 4 there.

I look forward like the infinity sage being 3 phases what the multiverse sage will be for 5 and 6 with it being 3 phases and with Wakanda Forever ending 4 and Ant-Man: Quantumania starting phase 5. I won't list all that is to come to phase 5, anyone can easily look it up on the internet. It is out there and it is amazing.

@DLurkster 

I'm in an odd spot with some stuff you mentioned because I've never kept up with MCU (or DCU for that matter) stuff unless it's been in movie or TV form.  If those mediums never hit certain characters,  relationships,  or story arcs I have no frame of reference for them.

Of some of the shows/movies you hit upon for P4:

Eternals: interested me for origins and back story filling in celestials and other things.  Overall,  the movie wasn't bad but long and kind of boring imo.  Felt like they only told half of their importance. 

Shang-chi: I liked it but he came off as a b tier character.  Then the wdf stuff with the mandalorian spin.  Also, based on the end location of the movie I really thought there was going to be a tie in to iron fist based on the monsters/dragons angle that felt closely related...then add in what Dr. Strange's buddies protect and know about...felt like it all tied together. 

Hawkeye: I liked it for getting into some back story elements...helped connect dots on some stuff.

Falcon and Winter soldier: felt very natural to post captain retiring.  Also some more dot connecting for characters and future setups.

Wandavision: cool concept and I liked I had the background offered in that before dr. Strange mom.  Also opened up some new ground.

Loki: not bad and an interesting end.  However, I felt the "time police" aspect as shown came off as a bigger budget, tighter focused version of legends of tomorrow.   I do want to re-watch now for the kang stuff.

What if: they can make this their own experimental playground and I dig it that way.

Moon knight:  felt like a c tier character but elements of his origin story came off as more geared to eternal timeline on earth...  where does he fit in later? Does he come back/get involved with later content?

Ms. Marvel: again, felt b/c tier character till last scene of series combined with not much being said bout marvels...but appearing like more importance is coming.   Origins to marvels, eternals, and some dr. Strange stuff make her a bigger deal than led to believe...

Oh right I forgot, What if that was good, tho of course not canon to the MCU.

The only other Marvel TV show on Disney+ was Moon Knight. I agree with you for different reasons why that show just didn't hit for me. Opposite reasons for Ms. Marvel did hit for me and was worth the watch to me.

Yeah, it is easy to look at what was misses for you in phase 4 and that just irks your view for this phase so far but despite what ppl would look at shakey, it's not that bad but I am glad there seems to be a goal. I'm sure most did it was just hard where you had to watch the connective tissue from for phase 4 or if they connect. For some there wasn't if you were looking for that that may hamper your joy like Moon Knight. I either knew before, during or after all the episodes aired it's loosely connected to the MCU. Not saying knowing that helped me enjoyed it more but it sure did put things in perspective what this show was trying to provide what MCU lacked.

To me the last 2 episodes of Moon Knight sure did redeem in my book why the series it worth a watch.